Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Surface Sliding Foil ?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
fleetrico
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Cape Cod mass
Favorite Beaches: Any place with warm wind white sand and a wave ....those are my favorites
Style: freestyle
Gear: Currently hooked on Moses 679 with a 420 stab and a 91 mast tucked under a homemade pocket board with half hooks.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Surface Sliding Foil ?

Postby fleetrico » Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:15 am

Thanks . Crediting Ryan Parsons over the past years with his Rhino slide that this trick emerged from for sure .I think I would have to give him some influence in the name so maybe The White Rhino ride ? It's really more of a balance/edge/tack than his slide is as he is sliding as the kite passes the zenith and not really using the kite to continue to pull him along . Given the proper conditions I can ride it for hundreds of yards and actually tack upwind a little on one side .I was curious to see if other found this "teetering" point and how far they can balance it for and if any one had been able to access it in other positions ..... Especially blind as it feels achievable and very similar when it begins sliding.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:12 am

So well done ! So long ! I need to work it to reach so long ride. Bravo.
What i like to do now is initiating it by rotating the board the other rotation direction (= upwind like a jumped tack). Not really difficult and what is nice is that you better see the water when landing down up to water contact, you see better water running "backward".

Here at 0:27, I called it "tackslide":

These users thanked the author Regis-de-giens for the post:
fleetrico (Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:46 am)
Rating: 3.03%

fleetrico
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: Any place with warm wind white sand and a wave ....those are my favorites
Gear: Currently hooked on Moses 679 with a 420 stab and a 91 mast tucked under a homemade pocket board with half hooks.

Postby fleetrico » Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:46 am

Regis-de-giens wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:12 am
NICE ! I find I have to hop into it . If I jump into it I sink on the landing and the kite is hard to get into the right spot to keep propelling me.

fleetrico
Medium Poster

Postby fleetrico » Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:34 am

Here is another angle underpowered in the waves .
https://youtube.com/shorts/6bSZc--FZmY? ... dMJ0gkWUXR

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.

Postby Regis-de-giens » Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:31 am

Impressive.
When you are sliding, are you powering the kite a lit much ? Meaning to keep momentum, do you need to be in the higher end of the kite?
Which surface and shape is your foil front wing ? I found it easier with large low ratio wing

fleetrico
Medium Poster

Postby fleetrico » Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:34 pm

Regis-de-giens wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:31 am
IF I am on a small kite I need to rapidly swerve it to stay at the right power and you have to be powered up . Larger kites you can park at 1 or 11 and just pull the bar for required power. Yes more power equates to longer easier sliding for sure . The first slide in this vid you can see the kite and what you have to do to keep it powered . This is a 4.8m in 25knots . Mid aspect wings are really the only wings I have gotten to surface slip well (633/679/684) .The higher aspect wings I don't see why they wouldn't work .I just have not found that balance point myself as I usually ride mid aspect .

anotheroldguy
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Georgian Bay
Favorite Beaches: Peniche
Hatteras
Lake Erie
Sauble
Style: strapless
Gear: Foil: Triton
Brand Affiliation: Triton Foils

Postby anotheroldguy » Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:22 pm

fleetrico
Medium Poster

Postby fleetrico » Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:52 pm

[quote=anotheroldguy post

Will it come with a "You will not push the mast through the wing guarantee" ? Otherwise I can't afford to bust any more T1s doing tricks.
These users thanked the author fleetrico for the post:
airsail (Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:17 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Regis-de-giens » Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:44 am

Regis-de-giens wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:12 am
What i like to do now is initiating it by rotating the board the other rotation direction (= upwind like a jumped tack). Not really difficult and what is nice is that you better see the water when landing down up to water contact, you see better water running "backward".
Here another tackslide, at 4:08 , from above even if drone is far from me...

anotheroldguy
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Georgian Bay
Favorite Beaches: Peniche
Hatteras
Lake Erie
Sauble
Style: strapless
Gear: Foil: Triton
Brand Affiliation: Triton Foils

Postby anotheroldguy » Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:15 am

fleetrico wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:52 pm
[quote=anotheroldguy post

Will it come with a "You will not push the mast through the wing guarantee" ? Otherwise I can't afford to bust any more T1s doing tricks.
Buy an X-1. it's more durable than the T1 and can take a serious beating. I am certain someone will figure out how to break an X-1 in due time, but we've had zero warranty issues so far.

Return to “Hydrofoil”