Re: Long mast - is it a con?

Postby mashimisha2 » Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:45 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:24 am
Flyboy wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:34 am
Trent hink wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 3:19 am
After a few years, it seems I don't even have to do that anymore with my preferred set-up, and somehow I just know where I am.
I think with enough experience you can "feel" where your foil is in the water - you make constant, tiny, subconscious adjustments to keep the foil where you want it.

Hmmm, I dont think so :roll:
We need to have some reference IMO, it is just that we dont think about it anymore, and can look whereever we want now :rollgrin:

Might just be me, having kitefoiled more than 10 years now - and after some years I thought the same.
But two things let me say ýou cant feel how high you ride (in normal conditions which is some chop and a bit of waves too maybe)

If I close my eyes, I can not ride "indefinitely" even if going straight - have tried it a couple of times.
Also, when I ride after dusk when getting REALLY dark, I seem to breach a lot more (eyes open) - kite is no problem as it is on your backbone yes, and also more contrast on the sky, but when it gets dark and impossible to see the water surface and "height" nor horizon nor the waves, I crash more often at least when jibing or riding on the small wave surfaces.

Meaning I can not feel the foil height in the water, if I did not have my "sight" :wink:

I agree you dont need much "sighting" nor to look in a particular direction, but I really doubt one can feel how high/low your foil is in normal choppy conditions.

Never ride in totally flat water, so have no idea if different in this respect?

8) Peter

Every time I go out with Lip Sun Glasses thinking how nice it will be to see the pretty coral and turtles, I end up taking them off to avoid crashing
When I am wearing sunglasses, I find it really hard to maintain a consistent distance above the water.
I rely heavily on surface reflections to gauge my distance. I used to do the same when judging my jump height.
These users thanked the author mashimisha2 for the post:
Wolf of Ainsdale (Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:52 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Flyboy » Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:08 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 5:02 pm

Regarding flying height to avoid hitting the ground - well, one example:
When I ride ashore I foil extremely high, on the verge to breaching, so I can jump off the board in one feet of water or less.
I can do this equally well no matter if a short mast or long mast :thumb:

8) Peter
That may be the case when you're riding over sand, but different if you're riding over a reef that has irregular protrusions ... AND the waves are actually breaking on the reef.

With regard to vision and sunglasses: I wear prescription glasses, but only mildly shortsighted. For decades I have worn prescription sunglasses when windsurfing & kitesurfing. I left them off one day and noticed that I seemed to have better "spatial perception" without them, ie. I rode with a better sense of my position in relationship to the water surface. Since then I generally ride without glasses. I'm not sure if it's sunglasses part, or the glasses part that is a factor. I think the prescription distorts near vision somewhat to allow the eye to focus better on the distance. I have a feeling that when you're foiling you're looking ahead, but have a sense through peripheral vision of where you are in relation to the water surface immediately in front of you.

Nak
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Weight: 182
Local Beach: Stevenson, WA; Rooster Rock, OR; Sauvie Island, OR; Kailua HI sort of...; Baja, MX; Ackerman Island, OR (I'm the only local kiter here...)
Favorite Beaches: Stevenson, WA; Kailua, HI; Baja; Isla de Coche; Rhodes, GR.
Style: Foil
Gear: Lift, Slingshot, Naish, Kanaha Shapes, Moses
Brand Affiliation: Lift

Postby Nak » Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:48 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:24 am

Never ride in totally flat water, so have no idea if different in this respect?

8) Peter
The first few times I rode an eFoil in totally mirror like glass conditions--something we never can do kite foiling--it was a REAL eye opener. Eventually you adapt, but it shows you just how important vision is. The next hurdle is crystal clear water--40 feet + visibility--on mirror glass water. OMG! Very difficult coming from kite foiling where there is always some reference for the surface of the water. The last hurdle to conquer--which I have not done yet--is crystal clear water on a mirror like surface crossing a barge's wake opposite to it's direction of travel. Going with the direction of travel I can slow things down and get a feel for height. Going against the direction of the wake I lose all reference for height--to the point where I get spatial disorientation--and crash. The conditions necessary to experience this are exceptionally rare here, so I'm not sure I'll ever get the hang of it.

Return to “Hydrofoil”