Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

The Formula Kite Asia & Oceania Championships 2023

Postby Toby » Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:09 am

IKA News:

Kiters ready for Asian action in Shenzhen

ika.jpg

The kitefoiling circuit has set a path for China where two events are set to take place back to back. The Formula Kite Asia & Oceania Championships will be contested from 21 to 26 November in the high-tech city of Shenzhen just across the border from Hong Kong, with 20,000 Euros of prize money available. This event is closely followed by the KiteFoil World Series Final in Zhuhai. With 50,000 Euros prize money on the table, the competition takes place from 29 November to 3 December.

Kiting in one form or another has been a strong part of Chinese culture for more than 2,000 years. One popular Chinese legend tells the story of a Chinese farmer who tied his hat to his head with a piece of string to keep it from blowing away. In a stubborn wind, the hat nevertheless managed to float off for a ways with the farmer trailing behind it holding the string. Thus, the legend says, the kite was born.

Jingyue Chen qualified China for a place at the Paris 2024 Olympic Games when she finished 7th at the World Championships in The Netherlands back in August. She is looking forward to competing against an international fleet on home waters. “We have been training hard in the Chinese squad and it will be good to race against some of the international competitors,” said Chen. “I think mostly it is light winds at this venue and that is my most difficult conditions, but it will be good to be racing in the softer breeze.”

Qibin Huang also qualified China for the Olympics in the men’s kiting category and he too has been training hard. “We have done about 300 practice starts in the past month, so I hope my starting might have got a bit better,” laughed Huang.

Reigning World Champion from Singapore, Max Maeder, is happy to be racing back in his home continent of China. “It’s interesting to see that it’s the European competitors who are struggling with the jet lag this time,” said Maeder, who was recently shortlisted for Rolex World Sailor of the Year after winning the senior Worlds at the age of 16. His chief competition is likely to come from Huang as well as some strong international riders including Denis Taradin of Cyprus and Martin Dolenc of Croatia.

In the women’s division Chen will be among the strongest of the Chinese squad while strongest of the European competitors is Julia Damasiewicz of Poland.

Markus Schwendtner, Secretary General of the International Kiteboarding Federation (IKA), is looking forward to showcasing the kitefoiling athletes in China. “In the last few years Asian sailors have made waves in the world scene, and China has been developing fast and leading innovations. It is with great admiration that we have seen China securing Olympic spots in both men’s and women’s kiteboarding at the first qualification opportunity.

“We know that the beach of the Yuhai Bay Resort, at the Shenzhen-Shanwei Special Cooperation Zone in Guangdong, will do a great job of hosting the Formula Kite and TT:R Asia and Oceania Championships. With a clean and soft sandy beach stretching over 5 kilometres, it is nothing less than an ideal venue. A week later, the fleet will move to the beach of the vibrant Zhuhai City at the Xiangzhou District, another excellent venue. We’re really looking forward to two great events in China.”

Competition begins on Wednesday 22 November, following the Opening Ceremony on Monday morning. The riders will race in the Opening Series which leads eventually to the Medal Series on Sunday 26 November.

For more information on the event: https://www.formulakite.org/2023asians

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same

Re: The Formula Kite Asia & Oceania Championships 2023

Postby Toby » Wed Nov 22, 2023 6:12 pm

Maeder takes first win ahead of Huang

Max Maeder narrowly won the opening race of the Formula Kite Asia & Oceania Championships today in Shenzhen, China. It was a close three-way battle between Maeder, his Croatian training partner Martin Dolenc, and local Chinese favourite Qibin Huang.

That first race for the men would prove to be the only competition of the day as the breeze was too soft for reliable racing and kites were falling out of the sky and into the water.

ika.jpeg

Making a great start off the pin end was Denis Taradin from Cyprus in his first race since suffering a nasty injury during training in Tarifa, Spain, just two weeks earlier. With his leg stitched up and on the mend, Taradin was keen to see how his recovery was going, and keen to get back racing. “I got a good start and was first into the left-hand corner of the race course,” said Taradin.

“When I tacked I struggled to keep the speed going and I fell into the water. I think my straight-line speed is fine but when we need to pump out of the tack or any time I want to accelerate, I think my leg is not strong enough yet after the injury. The muscles need to get stronger again.”

Dolenc took up the lead on the right-hand side of the race course. “I got lifted after the start and was leading until the second upwind leg. Unfortunately when I tacked I got headed a lot and missed the layline because the wind was shifting so much. It was super hard and on the downwind we all went our separate ways. At the bottom mark we all came together again, but with the other two just in front of me.”

Huang briefly led the race on the downwind leg. “But Max took a more aggressive line towards the bottom mark and he managed to overtake me, so he sailed well,” said Huang who was at least happy with his start. “I’ve done more than 200 practice starts in the past month and I think that is really helping me get off the line.”

Along with female rider from China, Jingue Chen, Maeder had represented the fleet in taking the competitors’ oath at the elaborate Opening Ceremony earlier in the morning. “We all really enjoyed the ceremony this morning but we got a rough awakening to the real world of racing when we got on the water and I think everyone was a bit shaken.

“We had a lot of small fish in the racing area and I think my foil hit about 40 fish during the race. You hear this ‘pop, pop, pop’ sound and you realise you’re hitting fish, which can’t be nice for them and isn’t nice for us either. I almost crashed because of one fish collision.”

Despite his close encounters of the fish kind, Maeder was happy to have won the race and displayed his typical humility. “I caught a lucky break on the last downwind which got me into the lead,” said the 17-year-old.

The men’s and women’s fleet went out late afternoon for a brief uplift in the breeze but then it faded again before racing could resume. For Poland’s Julia Damasiewicz, she was happy simply to get back to the beach with a dry kite. “It’s so much better if you can keep the kite in the sky,” she smiled. “That was my bullet for the day, a little victory.”

Racing is set to continue on Thursday morning, with the event reaching its climax this Sunday with the 10-rider Medal Series.

RESULTS MEN
1. Maximilian Maeder SGP 1 point
2. Qibin Huang CHN 2 points
3. Martin Dolenc CRO 3 points

FULL RESULTS
http://www.formulakite.org/2023asians

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Thu Nov 23, 2023 2:06 pm

Helmet Hair: the latest in marginal gains

ika.jpg

Helmet hair (definition from Cambridge Dictionary) /ˈhel.mət ˌheər/:
1. a person's hair that is flatter than usual because they have been wearing a helmet (= a strong, hard hat that protects your head when riding a motorcycle or bicycle)
2. hair in a style that looks like a helmet (= a strong, hard hat that protects your head)

Over the past couple of seasons, Max Maeder has been one of the dominant forces on the Olympic kitefoiling scene. The 17-year-old from Singapore has been tearing up the track and setting new standards for others to follow, not least when he won this year’s World Championships in The Hague.

However, his younger brother, the 15-year-old Karl Maeder is also turning over new stones in his neverending quest for kiting excellence. Today at the Formula Kite Asia & Oceania Championships in Shenzhen, China, Karl unveiled his latest secret, the culmination of a project that has been at least three minutes in the making.

Where the conventional wisdom has been that helmet hair is a bad thing, something to be avoided, the innovative teenager has embraced the opposite point of view. With kitefoilers hitting speeds up to 40 knots across the water, aerodynamics are almost as important as the hydrodynamic component beneath the surface.

“The evolution process is really important,” explained Karl, wearing a conventional plastic protective helmet, “because as the sport progresses were getting a smaller and smaller gains. So we're looking into aerodynamics and all sorts of things.

“And, the helmets, they're just too big, you know? So, so we're gonna have built in helmets in the future, they're going to be very sleek, very tight close, close to the skin.”

At this point Karl unclipped his helmet to reveal...

Helmet Hair

Yesterday evening the Swiss rider had his medium-length mane of hair sculpted in a Chinese hairdressers. The hairdresser delivered the haircut to Karl’s precise specifications, although Karl admits that this version - The Karl 1.0 - is just a prototype and there could be more to come in the future. “I'm testing this out here in Shenzhen but due to racing regulations, I still have to wear a conventional helmet.”

Karl admitted that the aerodynamics is one part of the speed equation. Shock and Awe is another factor which he hopes will play to his advantage: “Intimidation is a big part of my tactics. They other riders will look at me lining up for a port tack start and they'll just back off. Because why go against me, you know?”

Early signs on the beach have been encouraging. “Yeah, people are giving me all sorts of weird looks, because [when they see me] it makes them feel emasculated, it makes them feel like less of a man.

“When they see someone rocking this haircut with speed and with confidence, they just back off. It sends them a message.”

Karl wouldn’t reveal if he had taken out patent protection on his haircut. Without that there is a risk others could just copy him. Asked if he thinks ‘The Karl’ could be the start of a new trend he responds curtly: “Let’s hope not.”

It’s early days, but The Karl has certainly been a talking point. Unfortunately for the Swiss rider he revealed his hand - or his head - a day too early as there was not enough wind for racing today. It’s quite possible that others could arrive on the beach for Friday’s racing also sporting ‘The Karl’. Whether Karl Maeder will be convinced to file a protest against anyone on these grounds we have yet to see.

To witness the big reveal on The Karl, go here:

Meanwhile with no change on the leaderboard, it’s Max Maeder who holds the lead in the men while the women’s racing has yet to get underway.

Racing is scheduled to resume on Friday morning, with the event reaching its climax this Sunday with the 10-rider Medal Series.

RESULTS MEN
1. Maximilian Maeder SGP 1 point
2. Qibin Huang CHN 2 points
3. Martin Dolenc CRO 3 points

FULL RESULTS
http://www.formulakite.org/2023asians

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Fri Nov 24, 2023 4:01 pm

Foiled by Fish

ika.jpg

Chinese rider Wan Li came out on top of the first day of racing in the women’s fleet at the Formula Kite Asia & Oceania Championships today in Shenzhen, China. After two days of delay, the breeze kicked in nicely for six heats for the women.

Fast out of the blocks was Jingyue Chen, the rider whose 7th place at the World Championships qualified China for the Olympic Games. But while Chen has tended to be the top international performer from her country, others in the Chinese squad are looking very strong.

Chen won the first two races and followed up with a second place in the third heat behind Julia Damasiewicz of Poland. With four races completed in the morning session, after a quick lunch break it was back out for two more heats and fortunes turned against Chen and swung in favour of her teammate Li who dominated the afternoon session.

Despite recording some lacklustre finishes of 6 and 5, Chen was able to laugh at her misfortune: “The fish left me alone in the morning but they were out to get me this afternoon. I kept on running into them and I kept on crashing.”

Gone fishing

Shenshan Bay is famous for its fish and the area is dotted with fishing villages. Chen thinks there is more work to be done by the fishermen. Catch more fish please! “I ran into more fish in the sea than I have had fish for dinner,” she said, promising that she would be eating fish for dinner this evening.

The warm breeze was pulsing from 10 knots to at times over 20 knots, making kite selection a constant headache for riders and their busy caddies on the broad, sandy beach. Damasiewicz enjoyed the moment when she changed down to her 11 square metre while the majority were still hanging on to their larger 15 sqm kites.

“That was my best moment of the day because the wind was getting really strong at that point and I was able to push really hard on the downwind,” said the Polish rider. “I feel really comfortable pushing hard and I think not all of the girls are able to do that.”

Bullets for Maeder, Huang and Dolenc

Max Maeder is so used to putting his 23 square metre kite in the air after a light-wind season in Europe, it was almost instinctive that he hoisted it into the sky this morning. Thirty seconds later the big kite was back on the sand, soon to be replaced by a more manageable 15 sqm as the breeze continued to build.

Maeder’s kite selections worked out well enough for the Singaporean as he went on to win four of the six heats for the men today. Qibin Huang took the winner’s gun in Race 6 when the tall teenager from China was early to switch up to the 23 sqm monster kite as the afternoon breeze started to fade.

While Huang rounded the windward mark in just seventh place, his greater horsepower pulled him along at the same speed as those on the 15 sqm but much deeper towards the bottom mark and he was up to first place by the leeward turn. Even though he dropped back to second at the top of the course again, Huang’s big kite hauled him back into the lead before the finish.

Martin Dolenc’s scores bounced all over the place earlier in the session before the Croatian came good at the end of the afternoon to score a race win ahead of his training partner Maeder. This lifts Dolenc to fourth overall but still 7 points adrift of one of the most consistent performers of the day, China’s Haoran Zhang in third place overall.

Sitting in fifth place is Denis Taradin who admitted to being every bit as exhausted as he looked. The rider from Cyprus is little more than two weeks in recovery after a nasty injury to his lower leg in a crash while training in Tarifa, Spain, earlier in the month. “The stamina is not there, and when you hit a fish you need to hold the board firm with your feet otherwise you crash, and I had plenty of crashes today,” he smiled grimly.

On equal points with the big Cypriot is the younger and smaller Thai rider, Joseph Jonathan Weston who is proving he can hang with the big names from Europe. This regatta is an excellent opportunity for the best Asians to compare their pace and skills with the regulars on the international circuit.

Good wind is forecast again for Saturday with another six heats scheduled for the men and women. The race is on to see who will make it into Sunday’s finale, the 10-rider Medal Series.

RESULTS MEN
1. Maximilian Maeder SGP 5.0 points
2. Qibin Huang CHN 10.0 points
3. Haoran Zhang CHN 15.0 points

RESULTS WOMEN
1. Wan Li CHN 8.0 points
2. Jingyue Chen CHN 12.0 points
3. Julia Damasiewicz POL 15.0 points

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Sat Nov 25, 2023 4:20 pm

Jingyue all the way

ika.jpg

Could Christmas have come early for Jingyue Chen? Crossing the finish line in first place in six successive races, it was Jingyue all the way for the Chinese rider on day four of the Formula Kite Asia & Oceania Championships in Shenzhen, China.

Going into Sunday’s Medal Series for the top 10 riders, Chen took the leader’s yellow bib away from Chinese teammate Wan Li who slipped back to second overall ahead of Poland’s Julia Damasiewicz of Poland, although subsequent protests would switch things around later in the evening.

Even if it was a perfect scoreline, Chen is still seeking higher levels of perfection from her kitefoiling. She knows that for next week’s event in Zhuhai, four hours along the coast, Chen will have to be operating at a higher level for when reigning World Champion Lauriane Nolot flies into town for the Kitefoil World Series Final.

Watch out! Lauriane will be here soon...

“My leeward mark roundings need to be tighter,” said Chen. “As I was coming downwind and going around the bottom mark I was giving away too much space to the girls behind me. That’s a big, big problem, because Lauriane will not give me the space or the time for mistakes like that.”

2-1 to Damasiewicz

In the battle between Li and Damasiewicz, things got a little heated. This evening there were five protests between the two riders after a number of incidents on the race course. Damasiewicz put her point of view thus: “There was one time when she put her kite between my lines and I said I would not do anything about it the first time, but then it happened again, so I protested.

"Then there was a port/starboard between us, and then another situation later on. I think I have tried to do everything right, within the rules, so I feel quite confident when we go to the protest room. I am thinking positively about it.”

At the end of the protest hearings, Li was disqualified twice and Damasiewicz once, resulting in the Polish rider being elevated to second and the Chinese rider relegated to third, just a point behind. It’s a critical switcharound, as it means Damasiewicz earns the second spot in the four-rider final alongside Chen. Li’s drop to third means she will have to fight her way out of the semi-finals to earn an opportunity to scrap for the medals.

Maeder in experimental mode

Meanwhile in the men’s fleet Max Maeder had done enough by the end of the morning session to have secured top spot in the Medal Series with the afternoon session to spare. The Singaporean decided to use the afternoon’s three heats to do some experimenting. “I can’t remember when I got a UFD [start line disqualification] so I’m going to use this afternoon to really push the line and go for some good starts as close to the line as possible,” he said. “And I’m going to go for a port tack start even if it’s not looking great for it.”

True to his word, Maeder stepped ashore after racing with the port tack start attempt complete, although not entirely successful. “I was fifth in that race, it wasn’t a great start as I had to stop to let the starboard tackers go past me,” he grinned. “The other two starts I didn’t get a UFD but I had two of the best starts of my regatta. This is a good time to put in some training and try out a few things different from normal, especially with where I am in the regatta right now.”

Room for some upsets

Going into tomorrow’s Medal Series wearing the yellow bib with which he has become so familiar, Maeder is going to be hard to knock off the top spot. Qibin Huang has also earned himself a direct route to the four-rider final by finishing a clear second in the qualifying series. As to third-placed Haoran Zhang and the rest of the top 10, they will have to scrap their way out of the semi-finals if they're to join Maeder and Huang in the medal-deciding finale.

Denis Taradin is one of those who knows that a good final day can really lift you up through the rankings and even on to the podium. With a lighter wind forecast for the last day, this could open up the possibilities of a few upsets.

RESULTS MEN
1. Maximilian Maeder SGP 11.0 points
2. Qibin Huang CHN 18.0 points
3. Haoran Zhang CHN 34.0 points

RESULTS WOMEN
1. Jingyue Chen CHN 10.0 points
2. Julia Damasiewicz POL 21.0 points
3. Wan Li CHN 22.0 points

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:03 pm

Two Big Wins for China

HIGHLIGHTS
- Twists and turns and a plastic bag in the Medal Series finale
- Jingue Chen wins the women’s competition
- Qibin Huang wins Asian title ahead of men’s world champion Max Maeder
- Next event down the road in Zhuhai, KiteFoil World Series China

Local riders scored two big wins on home waters against top level international competition, on a thrilling final day at the Formula Kite Asia & Oceania Championships in Shenzhen, China.

Competing in light winds that sometimes dropped to as little as 6 knots, Jingyue Chen came through some difficult moments in the women’s final to win the gold ahead of teammate Wan Li who took silver ahead of Julia Damasiewicz of Poland.

There were so many twists and turns in the men’s final before Qibin Huang of China finally prevailed on countback ahead of Max Maeder, the reigning World Champion from Singapore who had to settle for silver, with Haoran Zhang of China taking bronze ahead of Croatia’s Martin Dolenc.

PSYCHOLOGICAL BREAKTHROUGH

It was an important psychological victory for Huang to have beaten his friend and arch rival Maeder who so often comes out on top. “It’s a total surprise and a complete honour to win on my home country,” said Huang. “And finally to beat my old rival.” The word ‘old’ being a relative term, considering that Huang and Maeder share the ripe old age of 17.

A BIG ONE IS BETTER THAN A SMALL ONE

Maeder has won almost everything on the international circuit this year, so it came as a bit of a surprise to see him beaten today. In the opening race of the final, Maeder, Huang and Zhang all made a late change from the biggest 23 square metre kite down to the 15 sqm. They were anticipating an increase in the breeze, but it never came. Dolenc didn’t make the best of starts but his superior horsepower from sticking with the 23 sqm proved to be the correct choice.

By the end of the first lap Dolenc had stretched to a comfortable lead. In the Medal Series format, the only thing that matters is winning races. The other three could see the race was pretty much done and so they sailed straight past the mark and back to the shore to do a rapid switch-up to their 23s lying on the sand.

Now that everyone was on the same size kite, Huang managed to win a race, which put him on equal wins with Maeder who had already got two wins on the board, his reward carried through from winning the qualifying series over the previous four days.

DRASTIC PLASTIC

When the four riders went out for the next race, Maeder hit a plastic bag which got wrapped around his foil. By the time he had extricated himself from the bag the race had begun and he was 30 seconds behind the action. This time Zhang narrowly beat Huang across the finish line, which kept the game open for a while longer.

Who would win the next? Unfortunately the breeze had started to disappear and we never got to see it play out on the water. Huang’s bullet earlier in the afternoon gave him victory on a tiebreak with Maeder, who was gracious in defeat. “I have no complaints,” he said. “OK, the plastic bag was unlucky but Qibin beat me fair and square. That’s racing and he deserves it.”

In the women’s final Wan Li took the first race after coming from third place up to first at the final windward mark having hooked into a big right-hand windshift before the two riders ahead of her, Chen and Damasiewicz. But no mistakes from Chen in the next race, the yellow bib wearer securing the race win she needed to seal overall victory.

LAURIANE JETTING IN FOR WORLD SERIES FINAL

This evening the medallists celebrated their success at the closing ceremony. Now the fleet moves four hours along the Chinese coast to get ready for KiteFoil World Series China in Zhuhai, starting on Wednesday. A few more riders will be joining for the competition, not least this year’s dominant female rider, Lauriane Nolot from France who leads the women’s rankings and will be keen to win her share of the 50,000 Euros prize money in Zhuhai.

RESULTS MEN
1. Qibin Huang CHN Gold
2. Maximilian Maeder SGP Silver
3. Haoran Zhang CHN Bronze

men.jpg

RESULTS WOMEN
1. Jingyue Chen CHN Gold
2. Wan Li CHN Silver
3. Julia Damasiewicz POL Bronze

women.jpg

Return to “Hydrofoil”