Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

can a 3 strut dlab be better than a 1 strut kite for foiling?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
melaquekite
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Melaque, MX
Barra de Navidad, MX
Favorite Beaches: Ilha du Guajiru, Brazil
Style: Everything, course, jumps, cruising
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: can a 3 strut dlab be better than a 1 strut kite for foiling?

Postby melaquekite » Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:26 pm

Foiled in nothing but Clouds for 6 years and I had a fleet of 2.8 to 9m. Sold everything and with the money purchased 3 OR Roam Aluula 3-strut kites. When the 8m arrive I set it on a scale next to the Cloud 8m.... Roam a few grams lighter. The snappy performance, the drift, the de-power, the uber light bar pressure, the RE-LAUNCH are all superior to the no-strut Clouds. Added plus is the range. No longer am I racing back to shore because it cranked up 5knts. Happy with my 5/8/10 and I'm foiling here in Mexico on thermal 9kts

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:49 pm

Wolf of Ainsdale wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:32 am
but I will say that the 7m is the rough equivalent of a one strut 10m which for me is mind blowing.
1 strut kites don't have a specific power level, every kite is different and you can't make that generalization at all.

Also when it comes to kite staying in the air the pilot has more to do with it than the kite. I can keep a 12m Drifter flying in about 6 knots without too much effort because it's a incredibly well balanced (also gutless for it's size btw), even though it's a heavy 3 strut kite.

When it comes down to what size kite you can ride in what wind the primary factor is dragging our fat asses out of the water, and for that a kite has to be able to generate a lot of grunt. The UFO being a 0 strut will sit deeper in the window naturally making it easier for you to generate that grunt. A 1 or 3 or 5 strut kite will fly more forward and to generate the grunt you need you will have to loop it more aggressively or backstall it in to the power zone which are a bit more advanced techniques, but they can still generate similar levels power if flown right.

I'm 78 kg and I ride a 5m Peak in 8 knots. Sure getting out of the water takes 4-5 loops of the kite and good board balance, but it's doable.
These users thanked the author Slappysan for the post (total 2):
Peter_Frank (Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:59 pm) • airsail (Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:35 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:08 pm

Wolf of Ainsdale wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:33 pm
I am 80kg so 5 strut 7m ain't gonna work at 12k no matter how good I get! But I take your point!

You wrote earlier you are a beginner foiler.

Meaning, you will be able to ride in a lot less with experience, and also heavier kites without dropping the kite unintentionally.

A 5 strut 7 m2 should work from 12 knots.

With my 78 kg sweetspot is a 7 or 8 m2, and 12 knots means the weight of the kite is no problem as such.

When talking below 10 knots, weight becomes a gamechanger though, and extremely important.

And yes, it is a grey zone in between 10 and 12.

I dont use LEIs anymore, but have loads of kitefoil experience with normal heavy multistrut wavekites, and also 1 or strutless kites, and a graph showing which to choose in what wind.

8) Peter
Last edited by Peter_Frank on Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wolf of Ainsdale
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 80kg
Local Beach: Ainsdale
Favorite Beaches: Alvor lagoon
Derbypool
Style: Sexy
Gear: North Reach
Mako
North sonar
Ufo

Postby Wolf of Ainsdale » Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:04 am

Fair play Peter- yeah i was just throwing out what I think with the proviso I havent got a clue as am a beginner. Never seen anyone on a 7m 5 strut round here at 6 knots but I ll take your word for it bud. Now stop teasing and get yer graphs out for the lads!!

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:21 am

Wolf of Ainsdale wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:04 am
Fair play Peter- yeah i was just throwing out what I think with the proviso I havent got a clue as am a beginner. Never seen anyone on a 7m 5 strut round here at 6 knots but I ll take your word for it bud. Now stop teasing and get yer graphs out for the lads!!

Sorry, a typo (we use m/s here in Northern Europe), I was answering your post where you wrote 12 knots, just corrected my post now...

Wolf of Ainsdale
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 80kg
Local Beach: Ainsdale
Favorite Beaches: Alvor lagoon
Derbypool
Style: Sexy
Gear: North Reach
Mako
North sonar
Ufo

Postby Wolf of Ainsdale » Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:59 pm

No worries mate get the graphs out!! Would love to see them. Love learning off more experienced people. It's what this forum is all about!

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:35 pm

Wolf of Ainsdale wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:59 pm
No worries mate get the graphs out!! Would love to see them. Love learning off more experienced people. It's what this forum is all about!

Okay, I will, start a new thread, knowing loads will say it is wrong, but I dont care, it fits me and my friends....

I observe a lot, and remember :D

Return to “Hydrofoil”