Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Attn Peter Frank - gong help

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
kajuk
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 85
Local Beach: UK - Calshot, Hill Head, Hayling Island.
Favorite Beaches: Rhodes/Theologos.
Gear: Gong hydrofoil, Ocean Rodeo Flite 12m, Gong Waveride 9m, Pansh Kestrel 12m.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Attn Peter Frank - gong help

Postby kajuk » Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:55 pm

Chriz76 wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 6:29 pm
Don't know if you are in jumping. Broke two Gong Frontwings this year. Veloce M lasted 5 sessions the Curve M longer. Currently ride the Curve S-T. With the M I had a Vmax of around 40 kmh. With the S-T it is 42 kmh. But mostly I am in the upper 30s.
That is not encouraging to hear. I started jumping this summer. First with Curve M and had about 30 sessions jumping on it with highest jumps about 6m. It withstood my jumps, many bad landings and a few drops although I managed to crack my board after one drop. I then bought Fluid Pro MS (800cm2) and had about 20 sessions so far on it with a highest jump just under 9m. So far it is holding well but I don't want to jinx it.

Chriz76
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Gear: Kite Foil

Postby Chriz76 » Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:12 am

Might be a problem with my technique. I hadn't had problems jumping with the x-over. My highest jumps are 8 meters. The last wing broke when I landed with lot's of downwind force on my butt pressing the wing against the water.
kajuk wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:55 pm
That is not encouraging to hear. I started jumping this summer. First with Curve M and had about 30 sessions jumping on it with highest jumps about 6m. It withstood my jumps, many bad landings and a few drops although I managed to crack my board after one drop. I then bought Fluid Pro MS (800cm2) and had about 20 sessions so far on it with a highest jump just under 9m. So far it is holding well but I don't want to jinx it.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:27 pm

I wouldnt worry about Gong or other brands in this respect, as I have read loads of posts about foils breaking, different brands.

Moses-SABfoil in particular.

So jumping and breaking foilgear is unfortunately a common problem it seems, for many :(

Bad luck?
Bad tecnique?
Using big foilwings instead of small ones with less torque?

I dont know - have just followed and seen this happen so often on the forums.

Maybe one should choose wingfoil specific reinforced gear?

I think the newer (heavier) SABfoil fuses are stronger as they aim for wingfoil instead.

8) Peter

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:54 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:27 pm
I wouldnt worry about Gong or other brands in this respect, as I have read loads of posts about foils breaking, different brands.

Moses-SABfoil in particular.

So jumping and breaking foilgear is unfortunately a common problem it seems, for many :(

Bad luck?
Bad tecnique?
Using big foilwings instead of small ones with less torque?

I dont know - have just followed and seen this happen so often on the forums.

Maybe one should choose wingfoil specific reinforced gear?

I think the newer (heavier) SABfoil fuses are stronger as they aim for wingfoil instead.

8) Peter
It seems that most people I have seen jumping high are using small front wings with race foils. There is surely an inherent conflict between building light - which most people want for their foils - and building strong, which you would need for jumping. I have no idea how the relatively new discipline of big air in winging is going to cope with this.

It puts me in mind of a visiting kiter who was a very good strapless surfboard jumper. He admitted to me that he had broken many boards leaning to land strapless jumps and still broke two or three boards a year.

Boston kiter
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Naaaaaahant
Favorite Beaches: Chapin, Kalmus, Wing, Horseneck, Hardings, Hatch, Good Harbor.
Style: freeride , boost, surf, foil
Gear: Duotone 11 rebel sls, 9m Pivot sls 7m Pivot 9m UFO

Crazyfly Raptor pro, Slingshot Celero Cab secret agent/Lift 170 classic

Postby Boston kiter » Fri Dec 15, 2023 4:41 am

Is it just me or are Gong foils and mast insanely sharp? I just received my new carbon mast and I can't believe how sharp the trailing edge is. :roll:

blu
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Great Lakes
Favorite Beaches: Cayo Coco
Gear: Flysurfer Lift Sabfoil Gong

Postby blu » Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:39 am

Boston kiter wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 4:41 am
Is it just me or are Gong foils and mast insanely sharp? I just received my new carbon mast and I can't believe how sharp the trailing edge is. :roll:
I agree, (especially my H38 stab) compared to the Lift foil I have.

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Private Kite & Wing Beach d'Epine
Style: Freeride
Gear: *

Postby Janus » Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:54 am

My H stabs are indeed sharp..
My fault, shouldn’t kick it :lol:
H42 it was, same with H38 and H45.. which couldn’t stand a sandy bottom and broke :roll:
Attachments
IMG_3572.jpeg

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Dec 19, 2023 7:37 pm

I think it is good - they make high performing foils by having a sharper trailing edge.

And they show it with a sticker on the TE so we are aware - at least on all my latest foils.

If you dont like it that way, it takes a few seconds to sand blunt.

You can NOT sand a blunt trailing edge sharp (impossible without ruining the profile) - well you can, partly, but it does not give you less drag so you get the worst of both, a draggy trailing edge, and you can cut yourself :rollgrin:

8) Peter

Boston kiter
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Naaaaaahant
Favorite Beaches: Chapin, Kalmus, Wing, Horseneck, Hardings, Hatch, Good Harbor.
Style: freeride , boost, surf, foil
Gear: Duotone 11 rebel sls, 9m Pivot sls 7m Pivot 9m UFO

Crazyfly Raptor pro, Slingshot Celero Cab secret agent/Lift 170 classic

Postby Boston kiter » Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:48 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 7:37 pm
I think it is good - they make high performing foils by having a sharper trailing edge.

And they show it with a sticker on the TE so we are aware - at least on all my latest foils.

If you dont like it that way, it takes a few seconds to sand blunt.

You can NOT sand a blunt trailing edge sharp (impossible without ruining the profile) - well you can, partly, but it does not give you less drag so you get the worst of both, a draggy trailing edge, and you can cut yourself :rollgrin:

8) Peter
I sanded mine down. I value my life more than a little performance. The trailing edge was as shape as a new knife and I truly believe it could give a life threatening cut with ease. I have had several brands of foils and none had edges like this. :roll: :roll:

jaros
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jaros » Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:04 am

Boston kiter wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:48 am
I sanded mine down. I value my life more than a little performance. The trailing edge was as shape as a new knife and I truly believe it could give a life threatening cut with ease. I have had several brands of foils and none had edges like this. :roll: :roll:
Does it whistle now? I sended my just a little and it whistled like crazy. I am trying to send it back into original shape since, but i am still not there jet and still hear some sound... any recomendation?

Return to “Hydrofoil”