Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

New Gong kite foil x-over alu for Beginner?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
zauberflo
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 90
Local Beach: Bodensee/Rohrspitz
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa, Bodensee, Comer See, Sal
Style: Freeride
Gear: Naish Pivot 12 and 9, Flysurfer Speed 5 18, Soul 2 12
Brand Affiliation: None

New Gong kite foil x-over alu for Beginner?

Postby zauberflo » Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:40 am

Hi ! Did anyone use the new GONG KITE FOIL X-OVER ALU foil for Kitesurfing? I never foiled and will try to start in holidays in june (hurghada). I know that the former x-over (wing size m) was a really good beginner foil. Is the new (higher aspect ratio and less surface area) as good for a beginner. I weight about 92 kgs and i am kiting (twintip) since 2007. Gong declares only the size m of the new one as a kite foil.
Thank you very much, Florian

THORO
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2023
Weight: 100
Gear: North Gong Plkb Slingshot

Re: New GONG KITE FOIL X-OVER ALU for Beginner?

Postby THORO » Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:09 am

It’s totally not as good as the old one, it’s just better in every aspect

Chriz76
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Gear: Kite Foil

Re: New GONG KITE FOIL X-OVER ALU for Beginner?

Postby Chriz76 » Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:46 am

THORO wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:09 am
It’s totally not as good as the old one, it’s just better in every aspect
Thank you. So you think the old one is better or the new one is better? And why? What size if the new x-over would you suggest for a 90kg beginner? The old M was 1250cm^2 the new one is 1000cm^2?

Gerwinnaar
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam Aluula 10m
North carve 3m, 5m, 7m 2022
Airush one 4m 2021

North comp 5’4 2020
North scoop 2021
Gong new Curve M
Gong new Curve S

Re: New Gong kite foil x-over alu for Beginner?

Postby Gerwinnaar » Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:27 pm

I guess not many people have ridden both the new and old x-over in the learning phase. I learned on the old x-over and that was good, but I recommend ordering a 65cm/55/cm mast for the first few session, you can sell it afterwards. It will help you to learn the pitch control faster and that saves you a lot of hard crashes, and so progress faster. Some people stay struggling with the foil they need when they are medium to advanced to save some money. In my experience it’s easy to sell (and buy)gong foil parts, so make it easy for yourself in the learning phase.

After the old x-over I moved over to the old curve to ride the waves better. After I upgraded to the new curve and the increased aspect ratio it has bettter glide and I experience it as a better ride. So my assumption is that with the new higher aspect ratio x-over it will be a nicer ride as well. In case you like cruising on flat water with just light wind you probably will enjoy the x-over for a long time. With your weight you probably only want to go smaller in strong winds or in case you advanced a lot and want to go really fast, but then you will also want to change to a different type of wing.

I hope this is helpful.
These users thanked the author Gerwinnaar for the post:
Chriz76 (Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:59 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

1234567Simon
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Local Beach: Netherland‘s beaches,
Favorite Beaches: Ijmuiden on NW
Gear: Wave Board, Wave Kites, foiling. But Plan to get Back to Twin Tip boosting

Postby 1234567Simon » Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:42 pm

The old one can Not be ordered anymore.

Just write a Message to Gong. And ask If the Large would make Sense for.92.kg...

But I am Sure,.IT will not make.sense.
The new ones are soooo big, I can easy Go down 200ccm, and the new one is still BIGGER.
(Fluid fromm 800 to 600)

THORO
Medium Poster

Postby THORO » Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:29 pm

the new one is better, you will keep it much longer.

I have the old Xover M and with the same weight as you I always go out with a 9m and it is so big that in light wind the kite struggles to stay in the air but I still manage to start and sail anyway; the new models have more lift, glide... friends with wingfoils who had the old model have switched to the new one and say it's better in every way.

Don't worry about the dimensions at all: the new wings have greater lift and for this reason have reduced the surfaces, furthermore those that were M are now S because otherwise for the wingfoils there were XXXXL front wings.

You can pick the xover or even the smaller curve to start kitefoiling (this should be great for lighter riders), you will just amazed how much efficient foils are.

I also advise you not to exaggerate with the length of the mast: take a maximum of 85, I started with that and apart from the first two days it was perfect, probably if it had been longer I would have fallen a couple of times on top of the foil. ... if you want to get two in my opinion 75 and 95 are an excellent solution.
Oh and get them in aluminium, only the HM in carbon.

Ps. ah, to be clear if the xover or the curve is enough or not for you: I asked gong what could be my next foil and they suggested me the new fluid xs, absolutely not the s unless for lightwind only

Edit: there is the old curve MT with the complete alu setup at a great price (280€), just pick it with a 75cm mast to use the first dozen times and you’re good to go for years imo

zauberflo
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 90
Local Beach: Bodensee/Rohrspitz
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa, Bodensee, Comer See, Sal
Style: Freeride
Gear: Naish Pivot 12 and 9, Flysurfer Speed 5 18, Soul 2 12

Postby zauberflo » Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:27 pm

Thank you very much! I will try the new x-over with a 65cm and a 85cm mast. Hope i will learn it in my holidays:)

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:13 pm

It is a tricky one, especially as 97 % these days is a about wingfoiling and not kitefoiling nowadays.

My take:

The X-Over I would personally avoid, no doubt.

But, it IS easy to ride, both for firsttimer wingfoilers and kitefoilers.

So if you plan to learn as fast as possible, and sell it again, it is no doubt the best choice :thumb:

Whereas if you have any desire to get a foilwing you can use for a bit longer, you should stay away from thís foil IMO.

For wingfoil too slow and no glide.

For kitefoil too thick and slow - BUT, a lot better than the first X-Overs :naughty:

So really depends whether you are ready to use it as a perfect learning foil for a short time, or youi want to take the longer learning road and be able to keep it for longer.

Both choices are IMO equally good, in fact choosing the easy way to learn is better I would say, and buy a new foil then.

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
zauberflo (Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:46 pm)

THORO
Medium Poster

Postby THORO » Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:25 pm

Yeah the goal is to do gybe good enough, start doing tack and footswitch, start running them without any problems and then swap to a sabfoil, a better gong setup or else imo :jump:
These users thanked the author THORO for the post:
zauberflo (Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:46 pm)

Return to “Hydrofoil”