Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 74
Style: Freeride Foil, Wave, Twintip.
Gear: Gong, reedin, sabfoil, blade, Duotone
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Foil wings are like wines...

Postby FunOnTheWater » Sat Jan 06, 2024 8:01 pm

I bought the medusa pro 769, not that I needed it, I do not know anyone using it, it is just a try. (it came on my path second hand). I have no idea if will like it. Been using 633- 679 and currently on 699.
I want something faster and bit more glide, for waving and small kites, still it needs to be forgiving to ride..... (the w695 and w800, do not fit instead of my 699...)

But sometimes if you don't like the foil at first, you may need give it some time, continue foiling it, maybe after some time opinion may change and it make you better rider? (so you can handle/adjust to all the different foils).

any feedback on the medusa pro is welcome...

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20/23” Guardian/Sentinel bars, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Sat Jan 06, 2024 8:29 pm

rnelias wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 7:49 pm
grigorib wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:04 am
But that “final destination” took time to come to and I still love Moses mast and kite fuselage and original 425 race stabilizer.
Carbon masts are easier to distinguish than wings. The lower quality have a perceptive wobble under load, however, I'm not able to compare good carbon masts with aluminum ones in a blind test. Ok... It would be easy by comparing the weights but, while riding, I simply can't tell the difference :(
A foil or mast which is heavy as hell and spinning away from you is pretty frustrating for strapless riding. Yet so is a foil too light, floating on a side, not drifting towards you and occasionally sailing away.
I recall Project Cedrus masts are as light as carbon and are stiff - though not cheaper than carbon. That’s one I’d happily ride, especially if I wanted to be able to switch fuselage system/brand.

With competition and choice picking up we should hope prices will come to a bit more reasonable level.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20/23” Guardian/Sentinel bars, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:11 pm

Reading the topic title again I feel being a functioning foilaholic. Started 9 years ago and kept tasting them.

These helped developing palate:
- learning on a relatively large and easy wing
- choosing compatibility and making sure all my kitefoil wings mount onto same fuselage
- choosing compatibility in masts that fit both kitefoil and wingfoil fuselages
- discovering thinner, less draggy stabilizers
- opting in for stabilizer with winglets (for yaw stability) that are pointed up (to prevent damages)
- having a thin and small race wing, having a lightwind wing and a freeride wing in the quiver
- trying bunch of wings and stabilizers on kitefoil, wingfoil and efoil
- trying various lengths of fuselages
- trying various lengths of masts
- seeing a bunch of design mistakes and damaged foils

And just as with wine, there are some great foils that don’t cost much. The difference is the cost of an error/mistake is fairly high and moving to a different option is expensive.

Here’s to foiling in 2024 🍷

lifeinthehood
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2021
Weight: 72 kg
Local Beach: Hood River
Style: Freeride
Gear: BRM Cloud 2.8/3.7/4.8/6.2. Ocean Rodeo A-Roam 8m. Cloud CCS. Kanaha Shapes 42"/MFC 1000/200/92cm. Slingshot Hopecraft/PFH657/325/102cm.

Postby lifeinthehood » Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:15 am

Yep, gear addiction is real. Over the last year I acquired quite a few foils because I found them on sale as a beginner and got them to try out different setups. I eventually came to appreciate all of them - SABFoil 633/679/799, Slingshot 657, and MFC 1000.

My go-to for the last half of summer has been the MFC 1000. There's really nothing I can think of that is lacking in my setup. Easy water start, super low stall speed, carves on a dime, can go as fast as I'm comfortable going without any extra lift, surfs swell amazingly well, and yet remains very controllable/predictable. The glide is decent for a med/low aspect foil. Extremely well-behaved foil that does everything I want it to do, when I want it to. I think the Drexler gang (Greg, Scott, and Kainani) are all back on MFC gear based on their recent 2023 compilation video on YouTube.

But it doesn't stop me from getting really curious and tempted to try another wing, esp when they go on sale. For example, the Naish S27 kite foils (650 and 810) and carbon masts are on HUGE sale. $449.50 for complete lower (wing/fuse/stab) and $564.50 for a 105 cm mast! Do I need it? No. Do I want it? YES.
These users thanked the author lifeinthehood for the post:
rnelias (Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:41 am)
Rating: 3.03%

vakiter
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Chesapeake bay
Style: surfboard +foil
Gear: misc. flites, edge, peak, reo, pivot,kahoona, sst.

Postby vakiter » Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:54 am

I think jyoder had the phrase GAS, gear acquisition syndrome

lifeinthehood
Frequent Poster
Gear: BRM Cloud 2.8/3.7/4.8/6.2. Ocean Rodeo A-Roam 8m. Cloud CCS. Kanaha Shapes 42"/MFC 1000/200/92cm. Slingshot Hopecraft/PFH657/325/102cm.

Postby lifeinthehood » Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:13 am

Yep. Also used in the audiophile community, photography community, home theater community, cycling community, espresso community, etc…
Ask me how I know. :thumb:

tkaraszewski
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Hood River/Caribbean
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone/Levitaz

Postby tkaraszewski » Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:04 pm

> Remember foils that took a mallet to be assembled/disassembled?

My Armstrong is still like this.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:56 pm

tkaraszewski wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:04 pm

Ha haa, I have never had a foil where a "Mallet" (soft hammer) was sometimes needed.

Not even on my first foils more than 10 years ago.
Although, I use the conical KFBox now, maybe the Tuttle requires some "hammering" now and then as not conical like the KFBox and ProBox?

I think it is a lot worse today, where the baseplate is used by a number of brands - I HATE it, but apparently the standard on wingfoils.
Luckily not so with kitefoils, where KFBox and ProBox and Tuttle are still used, so one max 2 screws and smooth so no surface drag and way better looking.

The only advantage of the clumsy timeconsuming baseplate, is when you ride strapped on short boards and use boards from a different brand - then you will eventually get into trouble if you can not move the mast a lot.
Otherwise, foils are trimmed correctly I would say, so even if using different stab sizes, the strap inserts can always get the trim spot on :naughty:

But if strapless, a fixed mast position is a lot better IMO.

Or are you talking about the front wing - fuselage connection, or the mast - fuselage connection tkaraszewski?

:thumb: Peter

tkaraszewski
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Hood River/Caribbean
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone/Levitaz

Postby tkaraszewski » Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:44 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:56 pm
tkaraszewski wrote:

Or are you talking about the front wing - fuselage connection, or the mast - fuselage connection tkaraszewski?

The front wing on the Armstrong fits over a tapered fuselage. It is similar to how a tuttle box fits, if the Armstrong front wing was the tuttle board, and the fuselage was the tuttle mast. The wing fits so tightly over the fuselage that you need to hit the wing to get it off. Of course, the part of the wing that you need to hit for this is the trailing edge, there is no flat part like on the bottom of a board with a tuttle box. So you need to hit it with a rubber mallet, if you use your hand you will hurt your hand, and if you use something harder than the rubber mallet, you will damage the trailing edge of the wing. It is a sturdy design but I do not like it better than wings that screw to the bottom of the fuselage.
These users thanked the author tkaraszewski for the post:
Peter_Frank (Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:13 am)
Rating: 3.03%

lifeinthehood
Frequent Poster

Postby lifeinthehood » Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:29 am

tkaraszewski wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:44 am
Peter_Frank wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:56 pm
tkaraszewski wrote:

The front wing on the Armstrong fits over a tapered fuselage. It is similar to how a tuttle box fits, if the Armstrong front wing was the tuttle board, and the fuselage was the tuttle mast. The wing fits so tightly over the fuselage that you need to hit the wing to get it off. Of course, the part of the wing that you need to hit for this is the trailing edge, there is no flat part like on the bottom of a board with a tuttle box. So you need to hit it with a rubber mallet, if you use your hand you will hurt your hand, and if you use something harder than the rubber mallet, you will damage the trailing edge of the wing. It is a sturdy design but I do not like it better than wings that screw to the bottom of the fuselage.
I remember there was a lot of discussions about this issue in the past year with Armstrong wings (and the fuse to mast connection) in the Armstrong Foils Facebook Group. Maybe you've seen them? The method I think a lot of people decided worked best was to leave the mast attached and put the wing's trailing edge down between to wood planks and then lightly tap on the front edge of the mast near the fuse. I think a few people also said that if you put some lip balm (or other lube) on the head of the fuse before putting on the wing, it shouldn't ever be a problem to remove later.

Return to “Hydrofoil”