Carbonco and home build boards
Ozone and Duotone wings
Naish Hover 95 foilboard
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Foil wings are like wines...

Postby airsail » Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:23 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:56 pm
Although, I use the conical KFBox now, maybe the Tuttle requires some "hammering" now and then as not conical like the KFBox and ProBox?
Wow, I thought the KFBox had long gone the way of the dodo, I do occasionally see a Tuttle box around most have been modified with a track either side.

I think the lack of adjustment is the biggest drawback, some downwind boards have 16” tracks to allow for greater adjustment. And we all know the problem of some foils like Armstrong needing track mounted further forward, would be a nightmare with a Tuttle box.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20/23” Guardian/Sentinel bars, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:52 pm

^^^things like that you won’t discover in a blind test. It might right perfect but be impractical for maintenance and travel.
So foil choice extends way beyond of how it rides

And then…

- remember when you had your perfect set and was excited about new wings to try, the manufacturer dropped old system and switched to the new one?

- remember when manufacturer switched to new system, it was a shock feeling how much heavier it is than your existing gear?

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 115kg
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.
Brand Affiliation: Designer of hydrofoils and many other things.

Postby fluidity » Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:09 pm

I build my own. I've gone from huge cnced ply to laminated over 3D core to carbon in clamshell moulds from my 3D designs. 2022 my designs had amazing lift and low stall speed, fun feeling, this year I've put some of that with speed and loving the results.

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 115kg
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.
Brand Affiliation: Designer of hydrofoils and many other things.

Postby fluidity » Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:13 pm

vakiter wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:54 am
I think jyoder had the phrase GAS, gear acquisition syndrome
Yes. Still have all the wings I've designed bar one I made and sold custom to a kiter.
I think 11 front foils and several rear foils. And the latest is the best. Feels like my go-to foil in most winds now.

Jyoder
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay (Annapolis area)
Gear: Zeeko bullet Foil and DIY board

Postby Jyoder » Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:35 am

A few years ago, the Moses 633 foil was king and everyone raved about it as the only foil they’d ever need.
I eventually got one but found it slow and draggy. Sold it.

Now it seems most of those 633-loving foilers have all moved on to wingfoil. The kiters here who still kitefoil all tend to ride smaller faster foils to an extent.

The reason I gave up wingfoil for small fast kitefoil is the speed and ability to carry and absurd amount of energy into a turn, something slower surfy foils just can’t do. Sure, high aspect surf foils can glide forever, but they ride kind of flat.

I’m still in love with my Moses 637/420/111cm and don’t see any reason to change. I did pick up a Triton T1 and it’s a good change-up training tool to dial up my mind-body attention before switching back to 637 zoomies. I imagine I’ll be the lone kitefoiler in a sea of wingfoilers in a few years.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:28 pm

Jyoder wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:35 am
A few years ago, the Moses 633 foil was king and everyone raved about it as the only foil they’d ever need.

Now it seems most of those 633-loving foilers have all moved on to wingfoil. The kiters here who still kitefoil all tend to ride smaller faster foils to an extent.

The reason I gave up wingfoil for small fast kitefoil is the speed and ability to carry and absurd amount of energy into a turn, something slower surfy foils just can’t do. Sure, high aspect surf foils can glide forever, but they ride kind of flat.

I’m still in love with my Moses 637/420/111cm and don’t see any reason to change. I did pick up a Triton T1 and it’s a good change-up training tool to dial up my mind-body attention before switching back to 637 zoomies. I imagine I’ll be the lone kitefoiler in a sea of wingfoilers in a few years.

You are a bit countradictory now?

Those riding 633s have changed to wingfoiling maybe, but off topic, they just love to surf waves.

You have gone from 633 to a small race(like) foil, which you like now.

But saying you wont change to something else, I dont believe :rollgrin:
As isnt it exactly the same as the 633s were sauÿing, just opposite??

8) Peter

Jyoder
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay (Annapolis area)
Gear: Zeeko bullet Foil and DIY board

Postby Jyoder » Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:24 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:28 pm
Jyoder wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:35 am

You are a bit countradictory now?

Those riding 633s have changed to wingfoiling maybe, but off topic, they just love to surf waves.

You have gone from 633 to a small race(like) foil, which you like now.

But saying you wont change to something else, I dont believe :rollgrin:
As isnt it exactly the same as the 633s were sauÿing, just opposite??

8) Peter
Hypocritical? Yes, probably a bit. One’s own choices are always the best and so must be justified, after all. 😂 😂

I don’t mean to go off topic to kite vs wing, but rather what foils people keep riding with kite after years. Kitefoil is dying off and I wonder if the 633 style and era of kitefoil has failed to keep some riders coming back for more whereas if they were comfortable on smaller faster foils they might stick with it longer because of what it can provide that slower foils cannot.

Kiteforum.com riders tends to be biased towards foiling in waves, but I would guess most kitefoilers in actuality ride foil in flatter or choppy water as a light wind solution. Would you agree?

vakiter
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Chesapeake bay
Style: surfboard +foil
Gear: misc. flites, edge, peak, reo, pivot,kahoona, sst.

Postby vakiter » Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:10 am

I had same experience as you jyoder, riding also in the Chesapeake.
Now I ride the 590 , and 679 if it’s to light wind.
For wave 633 is still nice, which we get if it’s 25+ wind swell .

Return to “Hydrofoil”