Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 75
Favorite Beaches: Woodman Point
Style: Big air/Wakestyle/Foil
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: None

Board comparison

Postby mati » Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:50 am

I have an Airush Mini 120 foil board, and it was a nice board paired with my old aluminum AliExpress foil.
Last year I bought a Gong foil (HM92, Fluid ST 700cm2, Freestyle stab 38) but it was impossible to find a good footstraps/mast position. I had way too much front foot pressure, even with the mast all the way back and the straps on the most forward position. The bigger size of the mount plate of the carbon mast doesn't help, since the US boxes are not that long.
I started to look for a new board and did this comparison based on the pictures I could find online of all the boards i am/was interested in. I used as reference the straps and boxes position of the Gong Fronteira 3'6" since it is supposed to work well with my foil.
So far, I think I have to discard the Dwarf Craft and the Scoop Mini, since the relative position of the straps and boxes is not too different to my current board (Just the back strap a little bit more forward). The Fronteira and the Newind 108 are still in competition.
Boxes rocker is another feature to take into account, but i coldn't find good pictures to compare all the boards. They all look pretty flat tho.

- Fronteira 3'6 (straps set included) €704 + Shipping €71 = €775
- Newind 108 €510 + Straps €60 + Shipping +- €50 = €620
Attachments
foil comp2.png
These users thanked the author mati for the post:
Gerwinnaar (Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:26 am)
Rating: 3.03%

THORO
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2023
Weight: 100
Gear: North Gong Plkb Slingshot

Re: Board comparison

Postby THORO » Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:38 pm

Mati swap the fluid st with the xxs and maybe keep the st for lightwind days :jump:
you’re not in the learning phase anymore and you like to ride powered to boost with your reach and orbit so pick an adequate front wing for your needs :jump:

Here every advanced rider use the sabfoil 671 ( or older and smaller frontwings ) and no one complain, the issue is that the old fluid are just too big :jump:
Last edited by THORO on Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author THORO for the post:
mati (Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:00 pm)

mati
Frequent Poster

Postby mati » Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:55 pm

THORO wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:38 pm
Freestyle stab 38 doesn’t exist, if it’s the 40 swap to 36 or change the fluid st with the xxs and maybe keep the st for lightwind days, your issue is that the st it’s just too big :jump:
Sorry, you are right! I have the Freestyle H37

The Fluid ST front wing is 700cm2 (0,9 cm thick) the stab is 180 cm2 (freestyle version/shorter tail) my weight is 78 kg and still in 10 knots i had too much front foot pressure (I had to put almost all my weight on my front foot).

1 week after i recived the Fluid ST Gong launched the new front wings :cry: The XXS is in my wish list too

THORO
Medium Poster

Postby THORO » Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:04 pm

I know
I edited the old post, read it again.
700 is too big for you, it’s for going out with a small kite and just have fun in the water.
The xxs is almost same volume but 150cm2 less, that should be right for you….. in the gong range there is the 450cm2 ypra too, that is an option too but it could limit you in light conditions
Last edited by THORO on Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author THORO for the post:
mati (Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:08 pm)

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:05 pm

Interesting post it's nice to see the chart. I had a similar issue with a Gong foil in the past no matter how small the stab I used it always had too much front foot pressure this explains it. In the end I cut the front wing square tube to make it fit the shorter kite fuselage and that solved the problem no more crazy front foot pressure but it made the foil more twitchy which I was ok with!

THORO
Medium Poster

Postby THORO » Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:11 pm

Mati imo fluid xxs or ypra s xs (but it will need more wind and will be faaa-a-aaast), ask gong client service what they recommend between them for you and why and let we know :)

Edit: you should have sent back the foils just how you did with the mast not hm… but probably you bought them used

mati
Frequent Poster

Postby mati » Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:29 pm

THORO wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:11 pm

Mati imo fluid xxs or ypra s xs (but it will need more wind and will be faaa-a-aaast), ask gong client service what they recommend between them for you and why and let we know :)

Edit: you should have sent back the foils just how you did with the mast not hm… but probably you bought them used
I bought it brand new from Gong and should have returned it.. but i thought i could make it work but it. i will keep you updated

THORO
Medium Poster

Postby THORO » Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:19 pm

Just have founded an old message from the past: Someone suggested me to upgrade directly from the xover to an ypra s ms (700cm) and to don’t hesitate to pick an ypras s xs too for stronger winds /max speed… that just because I weight 100kg.
He had already swapped your exact frontwing (fluid st but with the fluid 38) to the ypra s (don’t know if xs or s, i could ask him) and he said that there was no comparison… a better wing in all dimensions.

Ps: november and december are the least windy months of the year so I'm still having fun with the xover, I had completely ignored this advice but honestly I still think I'm going for something easier for me until I close all the maneuvers and change feet perfectly or almost, so for me curved mt or to exaggerate fluid mt soon 😂

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:31 pm

Not sure I have understood this correct mati?

You have a Gong foil, and your problem is it does not match a different foilboard?

Whereas, if I read it correctly, the left board is a gong board, where you think (but you dont know) it is in balance, with this forward strap positioning, compared to 3 other boards.
And the Newind looks the same as the Gong board positionwise of the 5 boards.

Yes you could get a smaller stab to reduce some front foot pressure, but 200 cm2 IS small - of course this is kite hydrofoil with small frontwing so you can go a lot smaller, eventhough rare.

Before I do anything, I would remove the front strap of your current board, maybe some wax if no pads further forward, and find which position gives you the perfect balance.

No foils should ever have front foot (nor rearfoot) pressure :thumb:

You will be able to find this point immediately if you go out strapless, after the very first foiling of the session.

Then you are much better prepared to take a decision on board(s) :rollgrin:

In general, both kitefoilboards and wingfoilboards, are (in each category of course) DIFFERENT between brands and models, and often have very different trim - unfortunately.

On the other hand, for wingfoilers it gives more options as some want to have the mast fully forward almost no matter what, and others, on the very same board, have the mast centered or rearward.
(and of course move the straps accordingly)
This is a matter of which foils we use, but also personal liking, which was my point.
So having more options to buy the very board that fits your foil and your personal liking, is great :D
But not possible from one/the same brand (would be rare at least)

I have no brand preferences, and it seems you dont either, nice mati!

8) Peter

mati
Frequent Poster

Postby mati » Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:13 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:31 pm
Not sure I have understood this correct mati?

You have a Gong foil, and your problem is it does not match a different foilboard?

Whereas, if I read it correctly, the left board is a gong board, where you think (but you dont know) it is in balance, with this forward strap positioning, compared to 3 other boards.
And the Newind looks the same as the Gong board positionwise of the 5 boards.

I have no brand preferences, and it seems you dont either, nice mati!

8) Peter
You've got it right. Sorry if it is not that clear but, English is not my mother tongue. :D

I can't get a balanced stance in my current board (the light blue Airush 120cm in the picture above) with my new Gong foil (HM92, 700cm2 Fluid ST, 180cm2 FreestyleH37 stab). I always have too much front foot pressure. I wrote to Gong, and they told me that my board had the boxes too far forward compared to Gong's foil boards. I did this comparison to check what they told me, and compare with other boards i was interested in.
I was curious to try a slightly smaller board, so it could be a good excuse. 8)

Return to “Hydrofoil”