Sabon (ESP)
Cesantes (ESP)
Lourido (ESP)
Pobra Caramiñal (ESP)
Lingunde (ESP)
Barraña (ESP)
Razo (ESP)
Style: Freestyle / kite Foil / Big Air
Gear: Airush Razor 9m & 11m v9,13m v10 (freestyle)
Airush Livewire Team v8 140x42
Airush Ultra Team 12m / Airush One 9m v2 (Foil)
Slingshot Phantasm PFH 581
North Mini Scoop 2024
North Orbit PRO 2024 9m (Big Air)
North Atmos Carbon 2023 138x41
Brand Affiliation: None

Doubts about North kite foil setup

Postby IDAVIS » Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:40 pm

Hi

i need your help about kite foil from North

i am search a quiver for kite foil from North Kiteboarding

i would like a setup for light wind, i like wing withs good carving and good lift. (i have a normal kite foil level, Jibe, tack, etc)

i thinking in this combination:

Mast: CF95
Fuselage: C700
Front Wing: 1050 MA V2
Stabilizer: S210

I dont know thos setup works fine, i wolud like similar perfomance like SS Phantasms 633 /Moses 633

any suggestion? maybe otrher combination front wing/stabilizer?

very big thanks
Last edited by IDAVIS on Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Re: Doubts about NORTH kite foil setup

Postby Windigo1 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:59 pm

I have the North Carbon Fiber setup with the MA1050 V1 and I also have a Moses 633 they are very different foils but both very good. The MA1050 is more efficient it doesn't go up planing as quickly as the 633 but once you are going it's amazing it's more efficient you can glide better with less wind and a smaller kite and go faster. I haven't tried the 120 stab I have the standard S270 that comes with the kit.

The 633 is better for surfing it has a surfy feel to it and can operate a lower speed so if you want to go slower and carve waves it's a better foil for that. For straight line speed and stability at high speed the North is better.

The 633 was great to learn on but I ride mostly flat water in very low wind and the MA1050 is better for that.

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Re: Doubts about NORTH kite foil setup

Postby SENDIT! » Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:44 pm

I also have the MA1050 and love it. I had the original 1650R, then transitioned to the 850R before this MA1050. The R series was better for low end planing and had a very low stall speed. A bit better for trying to catch and ride swell. The MA1050 has a better top speed and glides much better with maybe a higher stall speed. I say maybe, b/c it hasn't really ever been something that I've noticed. It definitely has allowed me to ride in lighter winds with a smaller kite. As for stabilizers, I can't say that I'm super knowledgeable there. I had the original S01 and now have the S270. Hope this helps!

SENDIT!

Brent NKB
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2022
Gear: North gear
Brand Affiliation: North Kiteboarding
Has thanked: 0

Re: Doubts about North kite foil setup

Postby Brent NKB » Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:42 pm

Have you looked at our rider guide, it should help point you in the right direction: https://issuu.com/northactionsportsgrou ... de_digital

I did see you have a couple of errors:
The mast is a CF95, so 95cm long, and the stab is S210
These users thanked the author Brent NKB for the post:
IDAVIS (Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:18 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

IDAVIS
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Cesantes
Aguieira
Sabon
Lingunde
Santa Cristina
(Galicia, north from Spain)
Favorite Beaches: Taiba (BR)
Cumbuco (BR)
Aguieira (ESP)
Sabon (ESP)
Cesantes (ESP)
Lourido (ESP)
Pobra Caramiñal (ESP)
Lingunde (ESP)
Barraña (ESP)
Razo (ESP)
North Mini Scoop 2024

Postby IDAVIS » Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:31 pm

Brent NKB wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:42 pm
Have you looked at our rider guide, it should help point you in the right direction: https://issuu.com/northactionsportsgrou ... de_digital

I did see you have a couple of errors:
The mast is a CF95, so 95cm long, and the stab is S210
Hello, yes, I had errors in my list (I already corrected them) thank you

ask:
change the front wing for the 850 ma v2? What top speed can it have approx? how many knots of wind can you start riding?

What fuselage do you recommend? the C600? THE C700?

Stabilizer? maybe the S210? the S208?

Thank you very much for the help.

THORO
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2023
Weight: 100
Gear: North Gong Plkb Slingshot

Postby THORO » Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:55 pm

It’s all written in the guide

Front 850mav2 (maybe north front wings are wingfoil oriented… I’m sure all these are excellent but every front wing has wide wingspan… imo the 700 is the one to pick if you’re not heavyweight but I’ve neger seen a north foil here so I don’t know the lowend…. The wingspan of the 850 is 78cm)
Fuselage c600 (you want the short one for kiting)

Stab s210 , freeride series

nixmatters
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Style: freeride. started foiling, not there yet
Gear: mostly custom made
Brand Affiliation: None currently

Postby nixmatters » Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:00 pm

@IDAVIS,
I'm 75kg, probably similar level as you. Not a speed junkie and mostly light wind carving.
Current North Sonar setup (amongst others): CF85/C600/S210 + MA1200 V1 (kite) and 1850R (wing). Also have a 1650 wing for sale - €200.
I have foiled with 633 in my early foiling days and never found it amazing, although I agree that back then it was probably a big step in foil design.

Front wing: Last year I had shortly the MA1050 V1/S270 and loved it, planning to get the V2 soon. I thought the MA1200 would be too big for kite foiling at my 75kg, but it's surely not. So much fun playing in the waves, without pushing speed limits. Above 35kmh I get uncomfortable with it.
Different and better than 633, but closer in terms of lift than the MA1050 V1.
In the past I had the 1150 and liked it more than the 633.

Mast: I had the AK72 and swapped to CF85. Absolutely happy with it and don't feel any need for a longer mast. The longer the mast (unless for heavy chop), the higher/unstable you need to foil so you dont get more drag from it.

Fuse/stab: I had A600, then C600. Tried the 700, but it feels boringly stable and not as playful. I use it also for winging (beginner) and see no issue or need to have a longer one, even if I only use it with the S210 stab.
If your pitch control is not that great, get the S270 stab with C600 fuse. Playful, but stable. Alternatively S210 with C700.
Small stabs are addictive due to the low drag, especially once you try a foil without a stab. I did it with the 1650/S01 and was shocked how much less drag it had.

And get the shim kit.
These users thanked the author nixmatters for the post:
SENDIT! (Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:45 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

IDAVIS
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Cesantes
Aguieira
Sabon
Lingunde
Santa Cristina
(Galicia, north from Spain)
Favorite Beaches: Taiba (BR)
Cumbuco (BR)
Aguieira (ESP)
Sabon (ESP)
Cesantes (ESP)
Lourido (ESP)
Pobra Caramiñal (ESP)
Lingunde (ESP)
Barraña (ESP)
Razo (ESP)
North Mini Scoop 2024

Postby IDAVIS » Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:25 pm

Big Thanks for the comments!

I will try to test some wings.. 850mav2 and 1050mav2

Thanks for all answers :D

tmcfarla
Frequent Poster

Postby tmcfarla » Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:22 pm

I have the MA1050 v1, it is ok for kiting, but I prefer a lower aspect wing for kiting. It is a good wing, but I think would probably be better for winging. It is not as playful as my (broken) lift classic 170, nor does it offer any meaningful advantage on the low end. In kiting you don’t really need high aspect typically. The 1050 is easier to do transitions with, but otherwise I prefer my Lift classic in pretty much every way: more playful, more agile, easier in waves, better high end, comparable low end, less likely to chase me in crashes, etc.

The carbon construction is really nice, except screws are seem overly long, which makes disassembly (mast/fuse connection only) take a lot longer than my Lift. That is a pretty minor thing to complain about, but it is pretty much the only thing to complain about in terms of engineering/construction. The carbon construction is really nice, especially for the price I paid.

Overall, I probably wouldn’t buy the north setup for kiting. It is a great quality foil, and a great lineup of wings, but the whole north setup is really focused on winging. There isn’t (as far as I can tell) a great kite wing in the lineup- something low-aspect but also small and thin. The low aspect wings in the lineup are really big and seem intended for heavy/beginner wingers.

mattaiken MYS NKB
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Toronto, ON. Canada
Style: Directional.Foil/Surf
Gear: North/Mystic
Brand Affiliation: North Kiteboarding - Mystic Boarding

Postby mattaiken MYS NKB » Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:41 pm

tmcfarla wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:22 pm
I have the MA1050 v1, it is ok for kiting, but I prefer a lower aspect wing for kiting. It is a good wing, but I think would probably be better for winging. It is not as playful as my (broken) lift classic 170, nor does it offer any meaningful advantage on the low end. In kiting you don’t really need high aspect typically. The 1050 is easier to do transitions with, but otherwise I prefer my Lift classic in pretty much every way: more playful, more agile, easier in waves, better high end, comparable low end, less likely to chase me in crashes, etc.

The carbon construction is really nice, except screws are seem overly long, which makes disassembly (mast/fuse connection only) take a lot longer than my Lift. That is a pretty minor thing to complain about, but it is pretty much the only thing to complain about in terms of engineering/construction. The carbon construction is really nice, especially for the price I paid.

Overall, I probably wouldn’t buy the north setup for kiting. It is a great quality foil, and a great lineup of wings, but the whole north setup is really focused on winging. There isn’t (as far as I can tell) a great kite wing in the lineup- something low-aspect but also small and thin. The low aspect wings in the lineup are really big and seem intended for heavy/beginner wingers.
Hi, the MAv2 wings in sizes up to 1200 are getting really good response from kiters (and wingers, and for towing). I understand after dropping the first generation swept wings (1500R, 1150, 850) it looks like a radical departure but these MAv2 wings are really quite epic for kiting. Perhaps we'll get a review from iDavis.

Return to “Hydrofoil”