Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Small wing foil for kite foil (sk8, armstrong, ketos...)

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
hydroholic
Rare Poster
Gear: ketos foila
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Small wing foil for kite foil (sk8, armstrong, ketos...)

Postby hydroholic » Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:02 am

Slappysan wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:52 am
hydroholic wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:48 pm
I'm looking for something that will fit perfectly an hybrid kite to go downwind, wave surfing, gliding like a wing but with the radicality of a kitefoil on flat water: acceleration, radical turn, tack, 360, high maneuverability, i ride strapless, no jump.
One thing to be careful with for downwind wave kiting is too much speed and glide on your foil in light winds. I typically ride my PNG 910 for this and love it because it just works in all windswell conditions. I also have a ARTPRO 1201 and took it out kitefoiling just to see what it would be like in 9 knots of wind and it was terrible because of how easily your foil will out run your kite.
Yes you are right but a fast front wing is also what i'm looking for on flat water. I mean i'm not looking for a race foil but going at 25 knots + is great. I like a "fast" front wing because it allows you to be very radical it you want to, and foil wing have also a very good stall speed so you can ve very smooth at small speed if you want to.

Concerning the speed that will outrun the kite during light wind day, that's a good point but it forces you to turn and carve wich is also a very good point :]

Anyone has tried the latest armstrong/ketos karve or fone sk8 ?

Thanks everyone for your answer.

Ved
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 75
Gear: Twintip, foil, surfboard, skis

Postby Ved » Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:58 am

I kite with F one Phantom 940 and 740. Not high aspect, but at least mid aspect and designed for winging. I really like wave riding with the 940 with Peak and Hybrid kites, while the 740 feels a little to power hungry for this purpose, but I really like it with a tube kite for tricks and jumps. I find the Phantom 940 a lot more fun than the Mirage 1000 for peak/hybrid wave riding as the glide in the waves is noticeably better and I need a little less kite power.

I'm quite curious to try the sk8 in a slightly smaller size, perhaps 750 or 650.

Onda
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Baltic Sea / North Sea (Germany)
Favorite Beaches: Wijk aan Zee (NL)
Ouddorp (NL)
Norre Vorupor (DK)
Heiligenhafen (DE)
Style: strictly unstrapped, mainly foiling
Gear: Slingshot / Infexion / Alpine / F-One / CORE / Firewire / Duotone

Postby Onda » Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:50 am

Very interesting thread / question!
I have a SK8 750 since a couple of months with the "default" C160 XXXS monoblock tail.
I bought it with the sole focus to ride waves (small but steep wind waves, no ground swell, Baltic Sea) and to check whether those super high-tech high-AR wing foils make sense for kite foiling.
THEY DO!!!
I´m riding it with 3/4/5 m² Ufo (sold all my Peaks after testing the Ufo), not in really light winds I have to admit. It gets tricky with the 7 m² Ufo in light winds, because of the speed and glide of the SK8. You very easily outrun the kite. But no prob at all in strong winds with the Ufos. You simply can forget the kite no matter how much you´re racing downwind / down the line. PURE JOY!!!
The SK8 is phantastic! Coming from a low-AR 950 cm² Alpine Freeride/Wave foil, the SK8 is so super efficient. It needs hardly any kite pull to get and keep going, and it is really fast. Even the smallest bumps (knee high) are becoming pure surfing joy. You can use silly-small kites with the SK8, I also bought the 3 m² Ufo now because I was overpowered from 20 kts with the 4 m² Ufo on the SK8.
The SK8 turn almost as tight as the Alpine foil (which turns super tight) and is much better in all other aspects. With the only exception of weight. The SK8 is much heavier than the Alpine setup (3.2 kg with 95 cm carbon mast vs. 2.6 kg for the Alpine with 80 cm mast). But also much more robust in construction, and super easy to assemble / disassemble.
However, I would buy the 650 instead of the 750 if I could make my decision again. The 750 is already slightly too large for my taste, particularly if you plan to ride very fast most of the time. Stall speed of the 750 is very low, around 15-17 km/h (with 75 kg). Absolutely zero increase in front foot pressure with increasing speed. I guess the 650 will turn even tighter with hardly any loss of low-end stall speed.
And I would NOT recommend to buy it with the XXXS tail because it is too pitch sensitive. It took me some hours to adjust from the (very stable) Alpine, and I´m still not able to do powerfull cutbacks due to that pitch instability.
I will hence buy the new C160 XS tail (longer than the XXXS) when it will be available, and I will chop it down to 120-140 cm². That will increase pitch stability without compromising on the turnabilty or reduce glide.
Read the comments under the youtube videos of MrBennetts! He is giving superb advice on the f-one and AFS foils, how to optimize their riding characteristics. And he answers every question. Super nice guy, and without a doubt the best prone / wing wave foiler on the globe.
MrBennetts was riding all sorts of foils, but it seems he prefers the f-one SK8 650 (with a rather long "short" fuselage and an extremely chopped-down C200 stab (120 cm²) over most other models / brands. Recently he also seems to love the AFS Silk foils a lot. Read his comments, really insightful!
You can use the SK8 either with the "monoblock" tails or with the "conventional" carbon fuselages / separate stabs. This opens up a lot of space for adjustments. (if your pockets are deep enough...)

hydroholic
Rare Poster

Postby hydroholic » Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:19 am

Thanks a lot for this very complete answer. Alright so the sk8 750 (or even better the 650) is able to combine both world !! I have to try one !

Onda
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Baltic Sea / North Sea (Germany)
Favorite Beaches: Wijk aan Zee (NL)
Ouddorp (NL)
Norre Vorupor (DK)
Heiligenhafen (DE)
Style: strictly unstrapped, mainly foiling
Gear: Slingshot / Infexion / Alpine / F-One / CORE / Firewire / Duotone

Postby Onda » Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:13 pm

Wanted to add: I´m only foiling stapless on a 100 cm board, 10 liters of volume.
Don´t do any tricks / maneuvers, only playing in the waves.
If you do a lot of maneuvers and if you maintain speed, then the SK8 might be a great fit four your riding.

hydroholic
Rare Poster

Postby hydroholic » Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:50 pm

Onda wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:13 pm
Wanted to add: I´m only foiling stapless on a 100 cm board, 10 liters of volume.
Don´t do any tricks / maneuvers, only playing in the waves.
If you do a lot of maneuvers and if you maintain speed, then the SK8 might be a great fit four your riding.
OK thanks, yes i do a lot of maneuvers. On flat water i love to do as much maneuvers as possible in the minimum time, looping the kite in every way, tacking, changing feet, riding/jibing seated etc...

But i love to go in the wave as well during the same session so having a foil that can do both is what i'm looking for.

I'm on a 90cm strapless board so yeah i need to try the sk8 but your feed back looks promising

Turbaani
Frequent Poster
Gear: -

Postby Turbaani » Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:05 pm

Sk8 looks like a good foil. Any idea of the thickness?
I am looking for something similiar from sabfoil. Been riding 800, its slim with maximum thickness of 13,7 mm. Like it alot, but it has few flaws like it doesn't like breaching at all and a little bit big when wind starts to pick up. Wanted smaller and bought 671 which is same blade lineup but alot smaller and it might be too power hungry for our conditions. But it can be breached. So would the slim 740 blade be still good pick in 2024? Or are new foil designs on a different level?

mede
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 72 kg dry
Local Beach: Lake Geneva
Favorite Beaches: Sri Lanka West Coast, Cape Verde, Tarifa, Beauduc, Corpus Christi
Style: Strapless surfing, Foiling, Big Air
Gear: Tomo Vader 5.1 HE, Kahana Shapes MariMacho, Gong Ypra XS, MS, L, XL, Kauper Falcon 11m, Blade Trigger 5m & 8m & 10m
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby mede » Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:07 pm

Try the Gong Ypra S foils.

The MS is what you might be looking for, great high wind wing foil, and nice for waveriding with the kite too.
It has a 75 cm wingspan, 700 cm² and is 1.05 cm thick for a volume of 0.36L
https://www.gong-galaxy.com/en/product/ ... ro-ypra-s/

merl
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: HF

Postby merl » Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:20 pm

mede wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:07 pm

The MS is what you might be looking for, great high wind wing foil, and nice for waveriding with the kite too.
Looks more like the Ypra Surf maybe (8.0 aspect ratio)
https://www.gong-galaxy.com/en/product/ ... ypra-surf/

Has this come out yet? Anyone tried it for kitefoil?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:21 pm

merl wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:20 pm
mede wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:07 pm

Looks more like the Ypra Surf maybe (8.0 aspect ratio)
https://www.gong-galaxy.com/en/product/ ... ypra-surf/

Has this come out yet? Anyone tried it for kitefoil?
It has just come out NOW.

Not tried it for kitefoil, but for wingfoil one time (and tomorrow again I hope)
It is snow and around the freezing point here, but new gear and you HAVE to go out :rollgrin:

It is really thin, just like the YpraS, great.

But YpraS has too little lift for the small sizes IMO, for wingfoil, so the Ypra Surf 800 cm2 (which I have for wingfoil now) has more camber thus more lowend and still low drag - great.

I cant speak about kitefoiling - I dont use these foils for kite....

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
merl (Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:02 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Hydrofoil”