SKShapes bar
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Bar for foiling

Postby 20kts » Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:40 pm

alekbelia wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:31 pm
Mynameiszombie wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:10 pm
Why? Kitelab bar with this freestyle system and lines from infexion will cost around 400 Euro and Joystick is around 650 Euro.
I will soon offer my custom bar with lines for around 170 euros. The bar will look exactly like the picture below. For several months, the bar has been tested by me and several friends. The reviews are very positive.
I am currently working on building a website where full specifications and photographs will be posted as well as usage tips.
I am also preparing a big surprise that will completely replace the already outdated chicken loop. This bar and quick release would however only be recommended for singleskin kites. A photograph of the pre-production copy is in the second picture.
Interesting. What size bars? 55cm?

alekbelia
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 100 kg
Style: hydrofoiling, waveriding
Gear: VMG2 11, 13, 15, 18, 21, 23 sqm
Ozone R1V3 9, 11, 13, 15, 17, 19, 21 sqm
Peak5 2.5, 4, 5, 6 sqm
Click 2.5, 4, 5, 6 sqm
RRD Religion 4, 5, 6, 7 sqm
Wave RRD Cotan 5.4
Hydrofoils Levitaz R5, Chubanga V3, RDB 860

Postby alekbelia » Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:45 pm

20kts wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:40 pm
Interesting. What size bars? 55cm?
Any size equal or less than 55 cm. On my 2.5 kite I use 30 cm bar. Length of the used bar is really important for good hydrofoiling, especially on waves.
Now my plan is to buy 2 sqm and 3 sqm singleskins instead of only 2.5.

nixmatters
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Style: freeride. started foiling, not there yet
Gear: mostly custom made
Brand Affiliation: None currently

Postby nixmatters » Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:12 pm

Mynameiszombie wrote:
nixmatters wrote: Why? The drag of your 1,6mm Cabrinha lines is approx. double than the 1,15mm Joystick steering lines. The drag works like sheeting in and you need to trim the bar (pull the depower) to compensate.
Wow! Thank you, man. It's actually obvious when you think about how the steering lines act, but I've never looked at it from that point of view before!
Is 1.15 mm thickness enough in terms of safety? I noticed that Kitelab offers 1.3 mm for steering lines and 1.7 mm for power lines
300kg breaking strength is more than enough for steering lines.
Ozone use them since years, now Slingshot picked them up for the Joystick bar. If I'm not wrong, the whole Dutch foil racing team uses them for both front and steering lines. Few big names in UK are very happy with them too.

Turbaani
Frequent Poster
Gear: -

Postby Turbaani » Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:33 pm

How about 300kg for front lines? I have no clue what kind of loads you get when pushing hard. Not race level push, but pretty fast freeriding at times.

fleetrico
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Cape Cod mass
Favorite Beaches: Any place with warm wind white sand and a wave ....those are my favorites
Style: freestyle
Gear: Currently hooked on Moses 679 with a 420 stab and a 91 mast tucked under a homemade pocket board with half hooks.

Postby fleetrico » Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:46 pm

alekbelia wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:31 pm
Mynameiszombie wrote:
Why? Kitelab bar with this freestyle system and lines from infexion will cost around 400 Euro and Joystick is around 650 Euro.
I will soon offer my custom bar with lines for around 170 euros. The bar will look exactly like the picture below. For several months, the bar has been tested by me and several friends. The reviews are very positive.
I am currently working on building a website where full specifications and photographs will be posted as well as usage tips.
I am also preparing a big surprise that will completely replace the already outdated chicken loop. This bar and quick release would however only be recommended for singleskin kites. A photograph of the pre-production copy is in the second picture.
Just curious why you recommend these only for singleskin kites ?
These users thanked the author fleetrico for the post:
alekbelia (Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:35 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Postby Trent hink » Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:02 am

You'd think it wouldn't be a big deal, but for hydrofoiling a trim strap is just unnecessary weight on the main lines.

Find out the trim you like, and you'll probably never change it except rarely to compensate for line stretch or shrinkage...

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:42 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:56 am
Why use floaters?
Floaters are very useful. They help prevent death loop chicken line wraps. If you have to use the QR, if the control bar is a sinker, it can go straight to the bottom and get snagged. The kite might then power up and drag you under water. It also makes it easier to lose the control bar since it won't float if you have it wrapped up and somehow it get into the water. About 10 years ago I was using control bars without floaters but I have experienced the problems listed above and since then always build my control bars with floaters.

I think foilers use control bars without floaters purely for aesthetic reasons. Peak kite, a hydrofoil board as big as a potato chip, carbon bar, micro harness with a mini attachment. It's all about having a certain minimalist look. At least to me that's what it seems.

I think it's fine carbon bars that weigh a few grams limited or no depower no floaters, do what you like, but there are functional reasons to use floaters.
These users thanked the author edt for the post:
Nak (Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:21 am)
Rating: 3.03%

vakiter
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Chesapeake bay
Style: surfboard +foil
Gear: misc. flites, edge, peak, reo, pivot,kahoona, sst.

Postby vakiter » Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:36 am

Kind of like when single speeders came out .

alekbelia
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 100 kg
Style: hydrofoiling, waveriding
Gear: VMG2 11, 13, 15, 18, 21, 23 sqm
Ozone R1V3 9, 11, 13, 15, 17, 19, 21 sqm
Peak5 2.5, 4, 5, 6 sqm
Click 2.5, 4, 5, 6 sqm
RRD Religion 4, 5, 6, 7 sqm
Wave RRD Cotan 5.4
Hydrofoils Levitaz R5, Chubanga V3, RDB 860

Postby alekbelia » Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:47 am

fleetrico wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:46 pm
I've been using singleskins since Peak3. I started with the original FS bar. Since I also competed a lot with a hydrofoil, I gradually switched to carbon bars, which I first bought, then started to make myself. In the hydrofoil the safety line was used extremely rarely.
I gradually threw the trimmer out of use as well. I also started experimenting with landing singleskins in all winds on a snow kite.
I've tested practically every situation from the start, through riding in big waves and snow obstacles.
All this gives me the confidence to recommend this bar for singleskin kites.
Nothing prevents the bar from being used with other types of kites, where I also have a lot of experience, but in recent years I have focused only on singleskins.
In the video you can see the size and look of the quick release and the previous version of the carbon bar.
There have been many more improvements since then, but I haven't made a dedicated video for the quick release and the bar.

rynhardt
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cloud C2 17
Hoff Twinwave

Postby rynhardt » Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:00 am

alekbelia wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:47 am
fleetrico wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:46 pm
I've been using singleskins since Peak3. I started with the original FS bar. Since I also competed a lot with a hydrofoil, I gradually switched to carbon bars, which I first bought, then started to make myself. In the hydrofoil the safety line was used extremely rarely.
I gradually threw the trimmer out of use as well. I also started experimenting with landing singleskins in all winds on a snow kite.
I've tested practically every situation from the start, through riding in big waves and snow obstacles.
All this gives me the confidence to recommend this bar for singleskin kites.
Nothing prevents the bar from being used with other types of kites, where I also have a lot of experience, but in recent years I have focused only on singleskins.
In the video you can see the size and look of the quick release and the previous version of the carbon bar.
There have been many more improvements since then, but I haven't made a dedicated video for the quick release and the bar.
I like it. Looks like your Quick Release has a built-in swivel? Could you post a closeup pic of it?

Return to “Hydrofoil”