Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

FS Sonic 15m First Impression

For all foil kite riders
Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Re: FS Sonic 15m First Impression

Postby Mossy 757 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:27 pm

Toby wrote:Dave, I don't believe 9 knots. Further up must have been more wind.
If he was on a foil board.
I've seen the same guy ride his 18 in unspeakably light conditions on a TT as well. He's a rep for FS, been kiting for over 10 yrs

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby davesails7 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:36 pm

Could be. Wind speeds are tough. Back to back comparisons are definitely better. I was impressed by what he was able to do while I was on a 15m chrono and hydrofoil moderately powered.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:46 pm

Mossy 757 wrote:
I've seen the same guy ride his 18 in unspeakably light conditions on a TT as well. He's a rep for FS, been kiting for over 10 yrs
Maybe Toby, or maybe not...

On a foilboard, you go at a much higher angle to the wind, at speed, and you have a really efficient release when you jump (no spray as spray is loss of energy thus height).

If you take a TT and ride halfwind at say 42km/h.

And compare to a Hydrofoil going say 35 degree over halfwind at 45km/h.

Both in 9 knots of wind (not totally unrealistic I think, but just to make the calculation example).

Then the Hydrofoil are able to jump twice as high as the TT, as it has exactly the double amount of energy present if takeoff :thumb:

Of course not fully as simple, but in reality it is a fact that you can jump "stupidly" high on a hydrofoil in almost no wind, because of the speed and angle and efficiency :naughty:

This advantage evens out really fast in more wind though, and eventually the TTs can follow in jump height :D

8) Peter

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:35 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Mossy 757 wrote:

On a foilboard, you go at a much higher angle to the wind, at speed, and you have a really efficient release when you jump (no spray as spray is loss of energy thus height).

Both in 9 knots of wind (not totally unrealistic I think, but just to make the calculation example).

Then the Hydrofoil are able to jump twice as high as the TT, as it has exactly the double amount of energy present if takeoff :thumb:

Of course not fully as simple, but in reality it is a fact that you can jump "stupidly" high on a hydrofoil in almost no wind, because of the speed and angle and efficiency :naughty:

This advantage evens out really fast in more wind though, and eventually the TTs can follow in jump height :D

8) Peter
I'm just getting there on my Sword 2...not really ready to send it like on a TT, but if we get a nice flat 10kt day I'm excited to play around with some boosting 8)

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mossy 757 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:36 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Mossy 757 wrote:

8) Peter
I'm just getting there on my Sword 2...not really ready to send it like on a TT, but if we get a nice flat 10kt day I'm excited to play around with some boosting 8)

Return to “Foil Kites”