Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Developing some data on foil kite quivers

For all foil kite riders
foilonfoil
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Belmont Shore, CA / Hood River, OR
Favorite Beaches: Crissy Field, San Francisco, CA / Benicia, CA / Sail Bay, San Diego, CA / Hermosa Beach, CA
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic Race, Core Section V1's, MikesLab Foil, Camet Boards.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Developing some data on foil kite quivers

Postby foilonfoil » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:15 pm

FrederikS wrote: One tip for the Chronos is to check the break line setting this makes a lot of difference for the flying characteristics.
Do you have any sand build up in the trailing edge? Current 15M and old 12M had it and no response from Ozone. Same from my friends R1.

FrederikS
Frequent Poster

Postby FrederikS » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:27 pm

foilonfoil wrote:
FrederikS wrote: One tip for the Chronos is to check the break line setting this makes a lot of difference for the flying characteristics.
Do you have any sand build up in the trailing edge? Current 15M and old 12M had it and no response from Ozone. Same from my friends R1.

Mine has very little, but it is an issue on all of them. Also my 12m split in two the other day at the Danish nationals going downwind, totally unpowered and unprovoked :( Perfect tear from leading edge to trailing edge about 1/5 in from the right tip. And the kite was in perfect condition despite being 1.5 years old. Just got new speed system checked all the bridals while doing that for wear but they were all ok, even the seams were still tight, no noticeable enlargement of the holes. Got one DNF on that and had to sail the next races on the 9 which was totally underpowered on the downwind legs :P

foilonfoil
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Belmont Shore, CA / Hood River, OR
Favorite Beaches: Crissy Field, San Francisco, CA / Benicia, CA / Sail Bay, San Diego, CA / Hermosa Beach, CA
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic Race, Core Section V1's, MikesLab Foil, Camet Boards.

Postby foilonfoil » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:33 pm

FrederikS wrote: Also my 12m split in two the other day at the Danish nationals going downwind, totally unpowered and unprovoked :( Perfect tear from leading edge to trailing edge about 1/5 in from the right tip. And the kite was in perfect condition despite being 1.5 years old. Just got new speed system checked all the bridals while doing that for wear but they were all ok, even the seams were still tight, no noticeable enlargement of the holes. Got one DNF on that and had to sail the next races on the 9 which was totally underpowered on the downwind legs :P
Just wow! Along a cell seam?

FrederikS
Frequent Poster

Postby FrederikS » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:40 pm

foilonfoil wrote:
FrederikS wrote: Also my 12m split in two the other day at the Danish nationals going downwind, totally unpowered and unprovoked :( Perfect tear from leading edge to trailing edge about 1/5 in from the right tip. And the kite was in perfect condition despite being 1.5 years old. Just got new speed system checked all the bridals while doing that for wear but they were all ok, even the seams were still tight, no noticeable enlargement of the holes. Got one DNF on that and had to sail the next races on the 9 which was totally underpowered on the downwind legs :P
Just wow! Along a cell seam?
Along and across at some point I have no idea how it can fail that way, looks very odd to me. Hopefully Ozone will do it under warranty.

Beamrider
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Al Bahia Beach, Abu Dhabi
Gear: Flysurfer Boost V1 9m and 13m
Flysurfer Speed4 Lotus 18m
Flysurfer Radical4
Been thanked: 0

Postby Beamrider » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:36 am

Great thread! Here's my input.

Some preliminary information: I weigh 55kg (very light weight) and I surf mainly in Dubai and Abu Dhabi, where wind is quite light and almost never goes over 15 kts.

Primary style of riding: Freeride
Board/Foil setup: Flysurfer/Flydoor4 and Radical4, Airush/Sector V3
Kite Brand: Flysurfer, Airush, Best
Model: Best Waroo 2009, Kahoona V1 and V2, Airush Lithium 2014, Flysurfer Speed 4 Lotus
Sizes: 5.5m (Kahoona V2), 9m (Waroo 2009), 11.5m (Kahoona V1), 14m (Lithium), 18m (Speed 4)
Lowest rideable wind: 7-8 kts on the Speed 4 18m (with extensions)
Highest rideable wind: 30-35kts on the Kahoona 5.5m

What you like about your kites: I hardly use anything else than the Lithium and the Speed 4, as where I am now smaller kites are pretty much useless. So I will concentrate on them, particularly on the Speed 4.

Speed 4 - the good: stable, powerful, light, low bar pressure, great depower and range, strong and quality build. The fabric really repels any dust, sand and water. Water relaunch in normal conditions (8+ kts) is supersimple.
Speed 4 - the bad: not much really. It's sloooow, but what do you expect from a 18m in light wind? Also, I'd like a better rubber quality for the Infinity Bar 2. It is - and it feels - cheap. Hope it got sorted with version 3. Water relaunch in low wind (<8 kts) is a nightmare. But it is for all kites after all.

Lithium - the good: it's a delta, so pulls like a truck. Quality build, fast for its size, reliable and great low end. The Analog Bar that came with it is great - simple, strong, all ropes are plastic-encased. Virtually eternal.
Lithium - the bad: bar pressure is quite high, even at "low" setting, but again, it's a delta. Top end could be better.

What you hate about your kites: No hate at all, just possible improvements highlighted above.

Future plans for your quiver: get rid of the older models (that I don't use anymore anyway), sell the Lithium (I love the kite but it's killing my elbow) and get a full foil quiver, starting with the Speed 4 12m. Also sell the Sector, since I have the flydoor I don't use it anymore.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:19 am

Why the lack of love for the Infinity 2? It's a bit clunky, but it's rugged and the wear-prone bits can be easily replaced by yourself. And it just fucking works.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:46 pm

Kamikuza wrote:Why the lack of love for the Infinity 2? It's a bit clunky, but it's rugged and the wear-prone bits can be easily replaced by yourself. And it just fucking works.
I hated the one on my speed 3 also. Ditched it within 2 weeks in favour of an ozone bar. FS make fantastic kites but their bars are 5-10 years behind everyone else.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:24 am

Primary style of riding: Course racing
Board/Foil setup: Delta, Spotz2
Kite Brand: Flysurfer
Model: Sonic
Sizes: 9,11,15 (actual 8.6, 11.4, 14.6 m^2)
Lowest rideable wind: 7-8 kts measured 2 miles offshore, 100 feet off the water, no obstructions
Highest rideable wind: Haven't done much riding over 20 kts because chop gets too big

What you like about your kites: Love the speed and upwind angle. Sonic has some nice features over the Chrono I used to have: Velcro deflate valve doesn't get jammed with sand like chrono zipper, Pullies on Sonic don't jam as much, you can push water through the stitching at trailing edge of Flysurfer

What you hate about your kites: Self landing in high winds is a pain, but I think all foil kites have this issue. Swimming in is not fun.

Future plans for your quiver: Thought about the 6m Sonic coming out, but not sure if it's necessary. I think I'll stick with

Rode inflatables lately because 9m needed tuning and it made me really appreciate the foils. I'm still undecided for twintip riding, but the race-foil-kites are so much nicer on the hydrofoil! Floats you through the transitions with nice steady pull.

I feel like 11m on long lines gives almost the same low end as the 15m. Maybe 0.5 knots better on 15m, but you can go much faster downwind in light wind on the 15m.

holden
Medium Poster

Postby holden » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:49 am

Primary style of riding: Freeride, big airs, (Course racing, wave -> love both but do rarely)
Board/Foil setup: Foilgaz (Levitaz proto)/custom foil&wave deck, RL Team 2014 (135x42)
Kite Brand: Ozone | Elf | Flysurfer
Model: Chrono | Joker 5 | Psycho 4 dlx
Sizes: 18 | 15, 11, 7 | 8
Lowest rideable wind: 6kts (even less sometimes, very hard to tell)
Highest rideable wind: 25+kts (gusts can be more)
Weight: 95kg

What you like about your kites: the psycho has a great high end and flies nicely with no line tension. the joker5er came nicely trimmed out of the box. i don't know why, but the ozonebag is really small but still it is so easy to bag 18 chrono into it. the high ar-kites are a pleasure for cruising not only with the foilboard but also the twintip. they give a huge windrange and perfect upwind performance. with the twintip i like going upwind for a while then carve downwind unhooked (i quit snowboarding but this gives me the feeling back).

What you hate about your kites: the low end with the joker5 15 and the foilboard is great so i almost never use the chrono 18 which is a shame. the chrono needed some trimming to fly nicely. the lowend of the psycho is crap, as some more things, but many i could fix (blow out vents, 5th line, bar). launching the smaller kites in high winds is still scary even after all those years. the high ar doesn't make that better. on the other hand, the low end of the high ar kites is so much better so you can use much smaller kites in the given wind. still, launching the joker5 7 in the middle of the twin tip sweet spot needs some courage. once it is in the air, no problem.

Future plans for your quiver: i am about to get a joker6 15. this is risky because i am not sure if an even higher ar will still give a nice enough handling. the plan is to tie the foilboard low end of the chrono 18 and get rid of my joker5 15 and the chrono 18.

h.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:29 pm

plummet wrote:
Kamikuza wrote:Why the lack of love for the Infinity 2? It's a bit clunky, but it's rugged and the wear-prone bits can be easily replaced by yourself. And it just fucking works.
I hated the one on my speed 3 also. Ditched it within 2 weeks in favour of an ozone bar. FS make fantastic kites but their bars are 5-10 years behind everyone else.
But why? What says 5 years behind?

Return to “Foil Kites”