Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Developing some data on foil kite quivers

Postby foilholio » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:03 am

The infinity 2 has way too small holes, the 3 is ok.

As for sand in the trailing edge Flysurfers suffer the same problem. It's caused by the folded cover on the trailing edge. Old Peterlynns just had a zig zag stitch . They didn't collect much sand and were easier to repair. If it's really bad you can pull the seams and resew it. They usually come out quite quick about 10 inches at a time, but sewing them is painful.

3asy_pie
Rare Poster
Gear: Sonic 9m & 15m
Taaroa Sword 2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby 3asy_pie » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:18 pm

Primary style of riding: Free ride
Pies: 140
Board/Foil setup: TKF manta
Kite Brand: Flysurfer
Model: Sonic
Sizes: 9m
Lowest rideable wind: 10knots , 8-9 knots If I'm out in the water already
Highest rideable wind: 25 knots, not fun with all the chop.

What you like about your kites: I love how fast it is for a foil. Awesome upwind. The perfect size kite I think for foiling. Great stability. Perfect bar pressure. Sucks up gusts fine.

What you hate about your kites: launching in higher wind, it is just terrible. Always a worry what's going to happen.

Future plans for your quiver: honestly no idea, I'd really like a smaller foil but nothing out there suits my wants at the moment. Maybe get a 5m LEI instead.

The Captain
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby The Captain » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:37 pm

Primary style of riding: Freeride
Board/Foil setup: OR Mako, LF smaller twin tip
Kite Brand: Flysurfers
Model: SP3 21m, SP3 12m, PSycho 4 8m, Unity 6m, Viron 4m

Lowest rideable wind: 3-4kts on snow with the 21m
Highest rideable wind: 35+kts on water with the 6m (the 4m Viron is more for teaching the kids)

What you like about your kites: Durable, lightweight, Wicked-easy self-launch. Jumping, speed, upwind, light bar pressure, a dream to fly. The large wind range means fewer kites to cover the conditions. i.e. 8-12-21. (As an average weight guy, I'd get an 18m instead of the 21m next time)

What you hate about your kites: Terrible in turbulent/wind shadow areas. Self landing in high wind is sketchy (suppose that is true for all kites though). I don't have many other issues with them.

Future plans for your quiver: Keep them all, supplement with some LEI's because some of my more frequent launches do not have good beaches. An LEI would be easier.

Foils: When they are at their best, there is nothing better. When they are at their worst, there is nothing worse.

If you ride somewhere with open areas for launching and landing, and good fetch for smooth winds, they are incredible.
Super easy and lightweight to pack and travel with. They are different, there is a learning period where you will make some mistakes. It will pass and you will likely have a great experience with them. My friends are always eager to ride one of my foils.

Return to “Foil Kites”