Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Developing some data on foil kite quivers

For all foil kite riders
Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Developing some data on foil kite quivers

Postby Mossy 757 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:33 pm

Not meant to be another "what kite should I buy?" thread, but curious to hear what people are riding, what they like, what they don't, and if they have future plans (cash dependent) what those plans are.

I created this template that you can copy/paste if you want to offer some feedback about your current foil kite quiver...

Primary style of riding: (Course racing, speed trials, freeride, wave, etc.)
Board/Foil setup: (i.e. Mike's Lab/Spotz2, Taaroa Addict/Sword 2, F-One/Levitaz, etc.)
Kite Brand: (i.e. Ozone, Flysurfer, F-One, Elf, Peter Lynn, etc.)
Model: (Chrono, R1, Sonic FR, Diablo, Joker 4/5/6, etc.)
Sizes: (7m / 10m / 13m / 18m / etc.)
Lowest rideable wind: (6kts, 8 kts, etc.)
Highest rideable wind: (20kts, 25kts, 30kts, etc.)

What you like about your kites: (Upwind ability, perfectly tuned out of the bag, bomb-proof, stability, quick filling, etc.)

What you hate about your kites: (Difficult to launch, poor factory bridle tune, finicky control systems, collapses under certain conditions, durability, relaunch/flag out system, etc.)

Future plans for your quiver: (Sell everything at once and restock with XXXX manufacturer, slowly phase out certain kites and replace them with XXXX, go back to LEI kites (??), buy older models that worked great and fix them up for cheap, etc.)

There's a lot of hype out there and the pros change gear more often than they change socks, just curious what all the non-sponsored, non-independently wealthy riders are doing as we see a bunch of new tech hit the market this fall.

foilonfoil
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Belmont Shore, CA / Hood River, OR
Favorite Beaches: Crissy Field, San Francisco, CA / Benicia, CA / Sail Bay, San Diego, CA / Hermosa Beach, CA
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic Race, Core Section V1's, MikesLab Foil, Camet Boards.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Developing some data on foil kite quivers

Postby foilonfoil » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:26 pm

Primary style of riding: I foil like I would sail... Course Racing?
Board/Foil setup: AlpineFoil 4.5 / RXV6 Board
Kite Brand: Flysurfer + Core
Model: Sonic FR + Core XR4
Sizes: Sonic FR 9/11/15 + Core 7/9 (and very seldom 12M)
Lowest rideable wind: 7kts (15M) 9kts (11M)
Highest rideable wind: 22kts Sonic FR 9M / 30kts+ Core 7M

In really gusty conditions or big distances offshore, I will fly my Core XR4's.

Season dictates quiver use:
- End of Season / Light Variable Winds and I am using: 11/9/15 Sonics.
- Middle of Season / Big Winds: 9M Sonic / 9M/7M XR4's
- Practicing new skills: 9M/12M Core XR4's.
- My 9M/11M Sonics are my first choice of kite.

I also play around with line lengths and will swap between 21M/25M lines.

Totally love the Sonic FR's - Incredible light wind and upwind performance and very forgiving with line slack and water relaunch. Easily able to foil my 11M in 10kts of wind. 15M is just nice to have on lighter days as well as twin tip/surfboard.

Totally love the Sonic FR construction - Trailing edges do not collect sand unlike my previous foil kites and the weak links (LCL's) on the kite tabs are the smartest thing ever. Mtigates damage to kite and allows easy replacement of bridle lines.

Love the Core's XR4's - They have bomb proof construction good upwind performance and a really good kite to have in strong/gusty conditions.

Dislike all flying lines. Blown many lines since I started foiling as I believe foil boards put additional stress on flying lines during gybes/downloops etc. Positive experience with q-powerline Pro lines and I have a set of Slingshot lines I use on my backup bars.

Dislike bars that do not use 4 equal line lengths for front and rear lines or funky front line modifications for depower. Favorite bar is an Ozone Race bar (cam cleat) with 25M q-powerline Pro flying lines. I like the Flysurfer bar but still in the process of tweaking it for use with a shorter depower line attached to the front line at the base.

Future plans.... Smaller Sonic please! I saw a recent post on the Australian Foil racing scene saying someone left their 6M Sonic FR at home. This would be my next kite. The kites that get the least use are my Core XR4 12M followed by my Core XR4 7M but nice to have around "just in case" especially if the misses takes up kiting.
Last edited by foilonfoil on Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:01 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Johhnn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Pine Point
Favorite Beaches: P-town Harbor, Manzanillo del Mar
Style: Freeride
Gear: FS: S4 8 & 10 m DLX, S4 Lotus 10 & 12 m, Sonic 2 15 m, Ozone R1V2 11 m
Core: XR3 6 and 12 m, XR5 9 m
FS: FlyRadical M
AlpineFoil 5.0 Ti Ultimate Hydrofoil with RX-V5S board; Sport and Lift wings

Postby Johhnn » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:30 pm

Good topic.

Primary style of riding: freeride
Board/Foil setup: AlpineFoil XLP wing with AFB 50 board (surf style)
Kite Brand: Flysurfer
Model: Speed 4 DLX (8 m and 10 m) and Speed 4 Lotus (12 m)
Sizes: 8 m, 10 m, 12 m (19 m, but it is an older S3 DLX and I don't use it for foilboard--too big)
Lowest rideable wind: ~6kts
Highest rideable wind: 30kts

I like most: Easy setup and launch, no pump, broad usable wind range, stability and good re-launch.

I hate: Solo landing in high winds. Terrible! The kite spins and beats itself against the sand.

Future plans: Gradual phase out of older kites. Will replace with same or upgraded version of the same. Will also probably try a Sonic in the 2 small sizes 11 m and 9 m.

OK?

Johhnn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Pine Point
Favorite Beaches: P-town Harbor, Manzanillo del Mar
Style: Freeride
Gear: FS: S4 8 & 10 m DLX, S4 Lotus 10 & 12 m, Sonic 2 15 m, Ozone R1V2 11 m
Core: XR3 6 and 12 m, XR5 9 m
FS: FlyRadical M
AlpineFoil 5.0 Ti Ultimate Hydrofoil with RX-V5S board; Sport and Lift wings

Postby Johhnn » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:34 pm

Hey foilonfoil, we've got some of the same stuff. I also have the Core kites, though mine are XR3's. I never use them, though.

I am trying to figure out which Sonic to get first, the 11 or the 9. Any advice? Which one do you use more? I find the Lotus 12 m to be too much most of the time, unless the wind is ultra light. And so I wonder if the 11 m Sonic would be too big much of the time.

foilonfoil
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Belmont Shore, CA / Hood River, OR
Favorite Beaches: Crissy Field, San Francisco, CA / Benicia, CA / Sail Bay, San Diego, CA / Hermosa Beach, CA
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic Race, Core Section V1's, MikesLab Foil, Camet Boards.

Postby foilonfoil » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:45 pm

Johhnn wrote:Hey foilonfoil, we've got some of the same stuff. I also have the Core kites, though mine are XR3's. I never use them, though.

I am trying to figure out which Sonic to get first, the 11 or the 9. Any advice? Which one do you use more? I find the Lotus 12 m to be too much most of the time, unless the wind is ultra light. And so I wonder if the 11 m Sonic would be too big much of the time.
Cool! I love my XR4's but they have not been out of the bag for many weeks now. I would definitely go 9M on the Sonic since you have the Lotus 12M. Up until now I have been using my 11M on light wind days (9kts/10kts), but scored a Sonic 15M for the really light days but have yet to use it.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:05 pm

Primary style of riding:, freeride in waves. + landkiting
Board/Foil setup: Mutant TT, Light wind door TT. buggy and landboard

Model: Foil Chrono.
Sizes:12m
Lowest rideable wind: 9 knots door TT. 3-4 knots kite buggy.
sweet spot 16-18
Highest rideable wind:22 knots

Then I step into lei. 13,10,8,6.
Lowest rideable wind: 11 knots door TT. 3-4 knots kite buggy.
sweet spot 18-35
Highest rideable wind:50 knots

I would quite like an 18m to increase my ultra light wind grunt. plus add a 7m for kite buggy speed runs. 20+ knot on the water is lei time for me. In the waves, lei's rule supreme. Foils are great for jumping and upwind but limited performance wave riding. Plus they don't have a self rescue option which makes it more dangerous on offshore reef breaks.

FrederikS
Frequent Poster

Postby FrederikS » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:17 pm

Primary style of riding: Foil racing
Board/Foil setup: Taaroa Sword 2 + Taaroa Board

Model: Chrono V1
Sizes: 9,12,15,18
Lowest rideable wind: 6-7 knots, depending on seastate
Highest rideable wind: 30 knots

Weight: 82 kg
Like: Easy self launch, pack down size, power delivery, lift, VMG

Probably want a 7m for high wind racing next year as well, once you get on a foil kite for foilboarding you never want to go back.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:23 pm

Johhnn wrote:Hey foilonfoil, we've got some of the same stuff. I also have the Core kites, though mine are XR3's. I never use them, though.

I rode a Sonic 9m on Friday with my Sword 2, TONS of power, had it 1/2 depowered while in the water and 3/4 depowered once up on foil. Wind was 12kts-15kts during the beginning of the session, 15-18kts at the end. My buddy who has more experience than I do was on his 11m Sonic and really powered up, but he can also hold down more kite than me.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mossy 757 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:25 pm

FrederikS wrote:Primary style of riding: Foil racing

Probably want a 7m for high wind racing next year as well, once you get on a foil kite for foilboarding you never want to go back.
Which of those 4 is your go-to kite for your average day, i.e. which of your 4 Chrono's has the most hours of use on it?

FrederikS
Frequent Poster

Postby FrederikS » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:05 pm

Mossy 757 wrote:
FrederikS wrote:Primary style of riding: Foil racing

Which of those 4 is your go-to kite for your average day, i.e. which of your 4 Chrono's has the most hours of use on it?
I live in DK it is very up and down. In the summer mostly 15 and 18. In the winter 9 or 12. The one I like the best is the 12 or perhaps the 15 as they have a good balance between speed and grunt which makes it easier to do roll tacks and foiling gybes.

One tip for the Chronos is to check the break line setting this makes a lot of difference for the flying characteristics.

Return to “Foil Kites”