Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

How long does it take you to launch a foil kite?

For all foil kite riders
fun2kite
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Singapore
Favorite Beaches: Secret spots around Asia
Gear: Foil: Moses
Kite: Fone Breeze, Flysurfer Sonic FR
Brand Affiliation: None

How long does it take you to launch a foil kite?

Postby fun2kite » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:45 am

Please share your average times that it takes you to launch the kite from the time you put the rolled up kite onto the beach?

If your time is short, please share your technique of rolling the kite, the lines, how do you keep the bar, etc.. anything that makes your a fast launcher!

Thank you.

-D.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Re: How long does it take you to launch a foil kite?

Postby plummet » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:20 am

fun2kite wrote:Please share your average times that it takes you to launch the kite from the time you put the rolled up kite onto the beach?

If your time is short, please share your technique of rolling the kite, the lines, how do you keep the bar, etc.. anything that makes your a fast launcher!

Thank you.

-D.
here's an old one of my speed3 15m launch. PS check out 3.30 for using a landing strap on a flysurfer.

Johhnn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Pine Point
Favorite Beaches: P-town Harbor, Manzanillo del Mar
Style: Freeride
Gear: FS: S4 8 & 10 m DLX, S4 Lotus 10 & 12 m, Sonic 2 15 m, Ozone R1V2 11 m
Core: XR3 6 and 12 m, XR5 9 m
FS: FlyRadical M
AlpineFoil 5.0 Ti Ultimate Hydrofoil with RX-V5S board; Sport and Lift wings
Has thanked: 0

Postby Johhnn » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:19 am

I've never timed it, but it is not long. I don't know about the latest race kites, but for the "standard" water relaunchable foils which I use, maybe it takes 2-3 minutes? I store my kites folded in half and rolled up around the bar. To start I unroll the kite downwind. Put some sand and/or your board on the upwind wing tip. Then I uncoil a few loops from the bar and throw the other wingtip down wind. Then walk the lines out perpendicular to the wind direction, walking a little upwind. Walk back to the kite making sure the lines aren't tangled. Get some air in the kite. Run back to the bar. Connect safety, chicken loop and launch.

fun2kite
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Singapore
Favorite Beaches: Secret spots around Asia
Gear: Foil: Moses
Kite: Fone Breeze, Flysurfer Sonic FR

Postby fun2kite » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:31 pm

cool. you launched in 3 min 15 sec.
And you did not pre-inflate or check lines. Just waked out with lines and launched.
Did not see you even checking lines for twists etc.
I hope I'll be as quick as you soon :-) I take like 15 mins to launch for now.
plummet wrote:
fun2kite wrote:Please share your average times that it takes you to launch the kite from the time you put the rolled up kite onto the beach?

Thank you.

-D.
here's an old one of my speed3 15m launch. PS check out 3.30 for using a landing strap on a flysurfer.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:51 pm

I waste time too, but pre-inflation and checking lines and bridles for tangles isn't a waste...

I don't pack the bar in the kite cos it's always wet and sandy. Roll up the lines, throw the bar over to the LE side... roll up kite. You can rinse it out easily too.

Kite out of bag, hold the fold in the center and let the kite unfurl itself downwind. Let it slide through your hands then sand the tip.
Bar over to TE, close bum flaps, walk out the lines. You can untwist the lines as you do it too.
Back to the kite, quick check the bar hasn't gone through and "inverted" the lines.
Lay out the bridles at the mixer, check pulleys move freely, check for tangles in the bridle.
Pre fill... hook in and launch.

When you're doing it by yourself, it pays to make sure you don't have to land and get a tangle or line twist out cos that's a PITA. An ounce of prevention...

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:03 pm

it takes me about twice as long to launch a foil as an inflatable kite even including the time to pump up the tube. The foil launch itself is a piece of cake, tiny bit of preinflation tension the back lines until the kite fills and you are done.The problem is I'm always in such a damn hurry, I run to the launch throw down the kite unroll, let the lines out and as soon as I launch I look at the kite, "Nope it aint' right" how it happened I have no idea everything was packed away right, set the kite down, untangle the bridle, check everything and launch again. If I take my time and try to be patient I can launch it right the first time but who can be patient? Taking 15 minutes to launch that's how I should be doing it, be careful patient slow it's quicker in the long run.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster

Postby plummet » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:36 pm

fun2kite wrote:cool. you launched in 3 min 15 sec.
And you did not pre-inflate or check lines. Just waked out with lines and launched.
Did not see you even checking lines for twists etc.
I hope I'll be as quick as you soon :-) I take like 15 mins to launch for now.
plummet wrote:

Thank you.

-D.
If you look closely at the vid 1.30 to 1.40 that's me checking the bridle lines/speed system to the bar. If they are good the stuff wrapped up on the bar is also good.

I don't bother with pre-inflation any more. It taker longer to pre-inflate that inflate one launched. Just hold some bar tension on one launched. PS the reason it take so long to pre-inflate this particular speed is because it was old and porous.

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:27 pm

Mr.Plummet sorry to hear your temporary ban from Seabreeze forum. Talking about banning i remember a few years ago witnessing Mr.Supa pre-inflating his kite 40% by creating an arch and launching from edge of window his 21sqm Speed 3 in just over 2 1/2 minutes and kite fully inflated just shy of 3 minutes. I learned a lot that day just by watching his fast technique.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster

Postby plummet » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:53 pm

OK. I cobled together a chrono launch and land. Here it is.

I don't see the point in pre-inflating. Just hold some bar pressure on and the kite inflates quickly in the air.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:23 pm

Fast than an inflatable that's for sure. I've launched in complete darkness buckass naked too(one of my better sessions). If the winds really cranking I might waste a little time and check the bridles but usually I can't be bothered with that. Wears the buzz off.

Return to “Foil Kites”