Thanks everyone for the wonderful comments
I took out some reflex in the tail for more bar pressure but made the chin/leading edge higher so there will still be an overall positive pitching moment.
Yeah material costs are high, and the high IVA/VAT here in Italy does not help! But of course I just do it for the satisfaction for now so I feel like the overall value is still cheaper than a new bought kite! I'm getting faster but still can't seem to get below 40 minutes per cell (taping is 30 of those minutes). And that is a simple cell, vents are 1.5 hours for me. I actually like the paper backed seamstick tape because I can batch prep things, and then the paper backing really helps in the tricky areas like leading edges and the final trailing edge. (I pull the two sides taught with my fingers, and then pull the paper backing out.
I totally agree on the laser cutter. I bought my low budget pen plotter off ebay, with the intent of one day converting it into a laser cutting table. I've design and built my own cnc router before so I know what it will take. For me it would shave about 6 hours off the whole process, but more importantly let me work to much higher tolerances. Right now, even with some modifications I made to my plotter, I still get some material slippage every now and then. It would be another 60 hour project in itself though so not sure when I'll do it, but one day for sure.
These are tedious projects -and I certainly spend more time designing and building things, than time on the water, but
that is what the sport is for me and how I enjoy it most.
Awesome, I'd love to see your kite and compare notes. Agreed, the sewing is minor compared to all the prep, taping, and moving material around. Who knows, maybe low cell counts will show some other advantages too other than just time, weight, and material cost savings - perhaps it will park deep in the window and truck downwind. We shall see