Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

DIY Foil Kites

For all foil kite riders
jaros
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: DIY Foil Kites

Postby jaros » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:22 am

Congrats on your deserved success. You sure have the skills and patience! :thumb:

JakeFarley
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip, custom 140 x 50 strapless twintip/skim

Postby JakeFarley » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:57 pm

Has anyone attempted to build a DIY single skin foil kite? Seems like it should be simpler to build.

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:33 pm

Single skin kite is easier to sew but it has more bridle line which adds details and line work. As a concept I wouldn't say it is easier than normal foil kite, more like opposite. I've done couple of them with usual wing tip issues and after that designing Peak 4 type wingtips which helped, but it is still a single skin kite. Because I value dynamic feel (powered turns etc.) and boosting ability it is not my favorite kite type.

Schietwedder
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Surendorf, Kiel, Germany
Gear: Diy Gear

Postby Schietwedder » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:00 pm

I´m working on a single skin as well. Will be sewn next winter for snowkiting season.
Yes, its easier to sew, easier to change once finished (which is quite important when doing prototypes, but more laboriuos to design at least with SP, maybe Paratailor/Single skin work better, I will give them a try as well before I print patterns, see what program is best to draw what I have in mind so I don´t have to do so much manual work.

Some Lessons learned with the 12m Foil:

After 4th time packing or so when i wanted to show it to some kiters on m local beach, already some glass fiber leading edge battens had snapped in two or cut through the end of their pockets, although I had reinforced them double with extra thick Dacron. They have to have quite a lot of tension to follow the form of the nose radius.
Maybe it has to be packed like a paraglider wing as well, but the cutting trough the pockets and breaking can also occur when crashing on the leading edge, which should not but can happen with a freeride foil.

I removed all battens now, and will test how the kite works without.
All the battens saved me 350g of weight at least.

I ordered some Nylon battens today, that are used in paragliders, from Kontest GmbH, a service Company for PG wings in North Germany. They are also used in most flysurfers and ozones. I hope its Nylon 6.6 which has better Spring Capacity and durability than Nylon 6

Then I can compare how the wing works with GF battens (not very practical but really nice tension and shape of the LE), without (light), and with nylon battens (not so much tension, but they dont break)

Here is an article in German about battens in PG wings, for kite design the aspects of dynamics in collapse situations maybe are not so important, but on A line positions, performance and stability in lulls there is some effect. I will see once I try the kite without. The 12m has the A lines on 10% chord which is quite standard. It could be a bit more backwards with stiff battens, maybe its a bit too far backwards without battens, and maybe a good position with the nylon rods, we will see. (Hard to tell though without other protos, or more connection points, on A and B at least. (Most Protos have couple of connection possibilities built in for good reason, I was too lazy though-or too stupid)

https://www.dhv.de/fileadmin/user_uploa ... ebchen.pdf

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitexpert » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:46 pm

Thanks for sharing your experiences. When you make kites by yourself it is a burden to make it any more complicated than it has to be. I mean for instance if you double A line row attachment points.

I once did that, there was perhaps 4-5cm distance between the connections. However kite flied and behaved pretty much same in both cases so I came to conclusion usual location of A row works or it isn't that critical.

There is a better material for battens than usually used nylon chord or thin GF rod, but I keep it for myself at least so far. But those two are usable too, however glass fiber rod I don't like that much because of its fragility.

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitexpert » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:58 pm

I disagree single skin kite is more difficult to design in SP, you just have to use it a bit unconventionally. Making typical ss flares to the ribs is easy to do manually after patterns are printed.

But to design hybrid kites in SP is difficult, then you have to stretch certain parameters to the limit and use program creatively because it is not designed for that kind of work.

Return to “Foil Kites”