Rare Poster
Local Beach: Rockanje - The Netherlands
Favorite Beaches: Brouwersdam - The Netherlands
Style: Free ride
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic, Ozone R1, Ocean Rodeo, F-one hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: DIY Foil Kites

Postby Rein de Vries » Sat May 22, 2021 7:42 pm

Flying my 5m2 diy kite and talking to Niklas we both see that our kites (same profile) tend to be rather fast with a high power spike as compared to commercial high AR foil kites. The latter fly more slowly and retain pull all through the window. It puzzles me a bit why this is. We obviously need that on the water and towards my new project I consider a more cambered profile as a mixer setting with shorter Z and longer B and C are found to give the diy the desired continuous power in the window. It is like a bridle induced increase in camber. I like to aim for a diy kite that has this property by design and wonder whether this would resolve it. I obviously loose a little stability by trying and wonder whether this camber is the reason that the commercial kites fly little different or that it is just a bridling difference from starters we are looking at. For comparison; our diy projects have little above 1% camber whereas the commercial kites have up to 3% or so. Profile thickness and AR are pretty much comparable in this sense. Curious to hear your thoughts!

Schietwedder
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Surendorf, Kiel, Germany
Gear: Diy Gear
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: DIY Foil Kites

Postby Schietwedder » Mon May 31, 2021 12:49 pm

I would say yes, to a point.

First of all there´s two effective measures:

1. increasing the area between the camber line and chord line but staying at the same max. camber.
That is what you do with the bridle effectively just built in the profile.
So the disatvantage, it has a far bigger impact on lessening the stability for a given lift, but you also can pull it out better with your bridle if it´s too much.

2. Increasing the camber by percentage and doing so in the very front (between A and B) of the profile to minimize impact on stability.
It´s the cleaner method with regards on stability but i am not so sure how much you can pull out again if the kite overflies too much, cant be depowered so much or you want to have a bigger windrange.

That´s why I´m still struggling with myself back and forth also on doing the same as you increasing camber.
It´s not such big of an issue for the usability of my kites just shortening z a little and I have heaps of grunt.

Once learning how to foil I might wan´t to get rid of that grunt again slightly.
I will wait until my 9m is done and if it goes in the same direction as how my 6m is flying I won´t change much, maybe a little more grunty profile. But I will first increase profile thickness before touching on camber I guess. We have a lot of lee rotor because of a military pier and some high coastlines in windward, so stability is really important especially when its light winds or the breeze turning slight offshore in the evenings after work when doing the last laps.

Also fabrication improves a lot with every kite in the beginning, so most issues disapear without much change in design once having a good basis I figured out.

Return to “Foil Kites”