Jamie-NYC
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Fire Island, New York
Gear: Best Kahoona 13.5m, 11.5m, 9.5m - Slingshot Turbine 17m - Pansh A15 18m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: The Pansh A15, an A18 review

Postby Jamie-NYC » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:13 pm

I though A was generic model designator (top of the line), and 15 was year of release? In that case, will there be an A16? This would partly address the issue others have raised of Pansh not acknowledging design chances in their kites - such as have apparently been seen with the Aurora from inception to it's current incarnation.

Interesting if different sizes are simply scaled.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:02 pm

The 15 is definitely for the size. Pansh put up the prototype on the website only in size 15 first, as I remember. They also offer other sizes than listed if you contact them.

Scaling as I am aware is the main way kite brands fill out kite ranges. They usually only design one size and scale the rest. Though a lot of brands now design or tweak more than one size. It's also why some sizes work better than others. Scaling is not perfect. Bigger kites need more AR and less stability, with small ones needing the opposite. Software gets better so maybe these things can be done somewhat automatic now.

The A15 is so stable maybe too stable. The 18 is probably the worst for performance in the range with them getting better the smaller they are.
Last edited by foilholio on Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bletti
Frequent Poster
Gear: Slingshot Rally 10m
Been thanked: 0

Postby Bletti » Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:07 am

I'm tempted to pull the trigger on a 12m A15 while it's still 50% off to go with my new spotz 2 foil for lighter winds. Anyone try the A15 out with a hydrofoil yet? Not sure whether to get the 22m lines and some extenions or the 25m lines. Think 12m would be a good general size or would I get much extra low end on a hydrofoil with a 15m?

corbett
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Many

Postby corbett » Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:15 am

Guys, don't forget the length of the fifth line and how the length of that fits into your plans.

corbett
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Many

Postby corbett » Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:39 am

Here's a rare video of the a15 but not exactly very useful. No mention of the size unless its a15 and 18 etc.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:19 am

That video is from a review, http://www.extremekites.com.au/reviews/ ... -a-15-r27/

I would guess it's the 15meter

here is another from http://www.extremekites.com.au/topic/15 ... pe/?page=2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hm1MxlOuo1Y

Bletti depends on your weight. I have a friend 80kg most used kite with hydrofoil are 8.6 and 11.4 sonics. If you get a 12 it has good over lap with an 18, the 9 you could combine with a 12 or 15. I think the 18 is lacking the performance to race with a hydrofoil, freeride it would be ok. The 9 will be too small for light wind. You wont get more than 2knots ,if that, more lowend from a 15 over a 12. The 12 seems a safe bet.

As to lines you could order both 20 and 22 meter sets and cut one up to make extensions. Otherwise you could email pansh to make you what you want. But the sale could be finished before they reply.... And the lines are half price anyway so it's only $30 and you could make 2 or 3 different extensions out of the 20s. Pity there is no 30 meter option they would be perfect to trim into lines and extensions.

Most high depower foils flag fine on a front line. I am not using a fifth on my A18. I haven't tested the front line flag on it yet but I am sure it will work. I only use a fifth on small kites, there is too much performance hit. But if foils worry you in some way or you want easy/hassle free landing by all means use a fifth. If I was always on snow or land I might use one for some peace of mind.

Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster
Style: Rough and tumble
Gear: Ram air and single skin Foil kites. Long skis to truck, short skis to huck.
Brand Affiliation: www.hardwaterkiter.com Authorized retailers of Flysurfer. Ozone, HQ kites and Gin kites.

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:43 pm

Any further first hand feedback on the A15? I have a 12m inbound and just curious if anything new has been discovered.

:D
Last edited by Hardwater Kiter on Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:02 am

Nope no chance really to use it. Too much wind, I dream of 35knots too. Might be able to use it in the next week hopefully. My most used kite is a 6m. I am seriously considering a 4m. But 30-40+knots ain't that often. Sometimes I wish I was a small person, but nobody makes kites for them. Must be sad if youre only 50-60kg, missing out on enjoying high winds.

I am sure youll be impressed with the value for money when you get it.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:12 am

Got to ride it again , this time 5 to25knots weee. Anything over 20knots is just too much. I was riding in wind I should have been on a 6m. The bar pressure is incredibly light, an almost disconnected feeling. You can sheet the kite with out even noticing and it'll then spank you. The trim range/throw needed for the kite is very large. Which is to be expected for light bar and a large kite. A race bar or bar with a lot of trim will be good for this kite. Smaller sizes will obviously need less throw. The depower is not on the same level as flysurfer but the stability is beyond them. Obviously a compromise. I kinda think I would prefer more depower but the kite is very easy to fly. Maybe when I get a chance to surf with it I'll be more sure which I prefer. The upwind seemed better than when I first flew it and I think it goes upwind fine. But in 20-25 knots I spent a lot of time getting ripped off my board.

Looking at the bridle lay out. I think it could be possible to drop the whole C bridle, maybe an option more for the smaller ones. You could then drop a pulley as well. Gaining bar pressure, and shorter sheeting. The kite is very original speed4 in looks. Maybe the diablo line would work well with this kite as well.

I think I might play with the mixer a bit at some stage and give it more camber, i.e. less stable more bar pressure. Should be interesting.

Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster
Style: Rough and tumble
Gear: Ram air and single skin Foil kites. Long skis to truck, short skis to huck.
Brand Affiliation: www.hardwaterkiter.com Authorized retailers of Flysurfer. Ozone, HQ kites and Gin kites.

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:28 pm

Thanks for the update. Was this on the 18m?

The kite sounds very interesting and for the $ I had to try one out and see what it's about. It would be great to see a brand like Pansh making kites that offer good performance and yet be relatively inexpensive. Open up participation for people who can't afford the bigger premium brands.

It seems very close to the Matrixx 2 and the Psycho 4 in appearance.

Return to “Foil Kites”