Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: The Pansh A15, an A18 review

Postby foilholio » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:12 pm

If you still have the intact bridle on the other side it's better than any line plan. A broken bridle you can reconstruct it's length. Line plans are great but not a extra 1500 great.

corbett
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Many
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby corbett » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:26 pm

foilholio wrote:If you still have the intact bridle on the other side it's better than any line plan. A broken bridle you can reconstruct it's length. Line plans are great but not a extra 1500 great.

No it was the whole trailing edge bridles that had been removed :D .

I heard from others that Eolo were selling the Savage with some bridles removed(tabs unused).

Mr Foilholio, please stick around here because when Peter Lynn release the closed cell foil, people will need your repair advice judging from all the ripped PL open cell buggy foils with warranty declined.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:34 am

Removed tabs would suck ,sewing near the trailing edge is quite annoying.

I have actually made a whole Z from scratch, I just copied the C bridle. It worked quite well. I ended up shortening the tip area a little more. Kiteexpert could chime in on the best way to go about it maybe?

What is happening to the PL opencell foils?

One problem with foils is the thinner the airfoil they have and the higher the wind the faster they go, when they hit the water/ground, the increased internal pressure rips the cell walls apart. It would be one reason why a kite like the Viron is so fat, so its slow. A few things have been tried to solve it, flysurfer blow out valves on the bottom of the kite, I find they dont work. The best so far is Buttflaps aka the deflate valves on the trailing edge that open. Some people fold the vent sock into the velcro so it will open with less force. Earlier PL designs just happened to open, I guess from lack of velcro. The pansh new magnetic blowouts seem very effective at stopping damage. The problem with them all is they stay open, although the magnets are meant to close , I have yet to see it. I must say though the problem of needing to ride in to land and close the valve is extremely minor compared to repairing even 1 cell on a kite let alone 12!

It really surprises me that Ozone and PL don't use LCLs. They are a very simple solution to prevent canopy or bridle damage and aid changing bridles. One thing I have noticed since flysurfer switched to stronger LCLs on the A bridles is an increased ease for the kite to be damaged. I would rather carry a few spare LCLs and replace them vs doing any repairs.

I used to do something similar fishing, Heavy line with light leader. Fishing line never broke and fish cant see the thinner leader. Its the opposite of what most people do, bit like riding foil kites HAHA.

Blackrat
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Jeffreys Bay , South Africa
Gear: old

Postby Blackrat » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:30 pm

is this a good first foil kite ? looking at the 15m for lower wind days

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:47 am

Yet to ride it on the water, but I think it would. It is certainly the best offering/kite pansh has had so far. Also bigger foils are always much easy to fly as well. For the price it's hard to pass up :-)

corbett
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Many

Postby corbett » Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:02 am

The last I heard, a kite buggier at our beach had 3 of his PL reactor 2 kites burst without any LE crash and PL didn't want to know. Those kites were very new.

From what I understand, Vulgerop are hated by kite dealers.

Think back to the Charger fiasco and how not only did they design an awful kite but they sold faulty ones and either denied warranty or were very slow at sorting it out.

Look at the vidoes on youtube of the charger folding up in the air. What company can screw up a kite like that?

An ex PL employee claimed that PL have new employees and things are different now.
Do the new PL employees want to introduce themselves on this forum? no? but you don't mind sending your spammers here.

By the way, that ex employee(Gunner). Either he has no work ethic or something deeply disturbed him whilst at PL because he stayed for like 5 minutes or so.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:29 am

There definitely seemed a reduction of quality when VOP took over. I suffered some of their crappier quality. ARC's are surprising as they need high tolerance to work well and the design of the airfoil is the biggest concern. Not something you can just play around with bridles on. Well that is as far as I understand them.

I watched gunnar at PL and then Flysurfer. Interesting to see some of the same decisions/mistakes made, much which I somewhat disagree. Notably when he was there the Unity appeared at flysurfer with the same PL trailing edge mesh vents. They also apparently changed factory and then had a heap of quality problems. I believe he left flysurfer because foils weren't competitive in racing , oh the god damn irony on that one!.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:00 pm

Got to ride it in side off 5to18knots. 18knots is pretty maxed out but not as much as the aurora 22 in 15knots. The kite is incredibly stable, I dont think I have seen a foil this stable in offshore wind. Its so stable it almost flys itself. The kite builds power with little speed, it seems more park and ride. The turning is not as good as I expected, but much better than the old aurora. The bar pressure is extremely light and is probably why the turning isn't the best. The bar feel is nice. The kite feels very light in the air and appears it should drift well. No waves to try it yet. The quick deflation is slowly convincing me zips should be on larger kites. The bridles seem quite minimal in number, but a lot longer and better line than the Aurora. The upwind is not the greatest but hardly bad. So far I am quite happy with it.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish duotone cwb burton ronix ozone cabrinha north flysurfer

Postby edt » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:25 pm

tks for the reviews foilh. I have a couple of auroras but haven't yet gotten an a15.

also could there be a worse kite name?

What kind of kite do you have?

A15.

What? I know it's a 15, what model is it?

It's a 12, a15.

Make up your mind is it a 12 or a 15, and what brand?

a15.

Ok, now we know it's a 15 meter kite. Now what manufacturer is. When you buy it from the company what's the company called?

Pansh.

And when you click on the button to buy it, it says?

a15.

That's the size.

A 12.

I give up.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:23 pm

I know it's a pretty bad name. I think the internal names are A9,A12,A15,A18,etc. My kite came with an "A18" tag,hence the title of the thread. I think the A15 is because they only designed the 15m size, all the others would be scaled. When it first came out they said the name was temporary, but I guess it stuck.

The A15 is completely different than the Aurora, I would upgrade. Its the first kite I am happy recommending. So far I have had adam,aurora, genesis. The Adam was fun modding that to depower. So cheap too. The Aurora has and still is good, but too much modding. Would be nice if pansh would say exactly how they upgraded it, i.e funalex etc. The Genesis was a disappointment. The Z bridle is totally whack. Pansh has changed/fixed it since. But fucked if I can get them to give me the measurements. I have the skill to fix it from scratch but not the motivation. The A15 out of the bag there isn't much if anything I want to change. It's well refined, user friendly. Not what I was expecting from Pansh.

If Pansh can actually only release solid designs, they can up their quality and increase their prices. I am just thinking now, more hi tech fabric and kites that weigh less than the lotus. delicious.

Return to “Foil Kites”