Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Gear: Many
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: The Pansh A15, an A18 review

Postby corbett » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:41 am

Out of interest, what are you guys going to do when your speed system lines need replacing? none of you took measurments I bet:)

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1337
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:46 am

Haha yer I have thought about that :-) I wish I did take some measurements, hopefully someone will when they get a new one. I may order another A15 at some time so I will measure that. I did take notice of how the kite depowered when it was new and B was basically completely slack. So I know the depower point is around there from that I can discern how long the pulley line should be compared to the A main. The mixer is quite excessively long and I would design a new one when replacement time comes anyway. I am getting pretty good at setting/understanding the bridle relationships, I just need a bit more understanding how B and C interact. All foils are a bit different I think because of the bridle positions on the kites and their profiles. Some kites like the A15, speed4 original, etc fly on A well while others need A and B. Some get highly unstable with some positive camber while others don't it seems.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:12 am

I took some measurements A main is 201.5cm, to the end of B pulley 197.5cm and C pulley line 200cm. The bridles and pulley lines have shrunk a bit by how the kite changed flying and I could see the bridles on the kite change. A main shrinks very slowly and not much when it does so I would guess it should be a round number like 202cm. I remember C matching with A main like most mixers so it too should be 202cm and I would guess B pulley line would be the same, I didn't measure B pulley line because I would need to disassemble the mixer.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:45 pm

I tested out a wac line on my A15. I set it to engage at B 7cm longer than A. In the air I can see when A main goes slack, it seems about right but I will have to compare with my flysurfer one. The kite cambers quite extremely combined with my shortening of Z. I was quite enjoying it, and then random tip collapses started occurring. I landed the kite and lengthened Z 4cm moving it back to the knot, the tip collapsing disappeared . Much later on it returned though but lessened. Overall I quite like WAC on the A15 it gives it a lot more punch. Relaunch also seems much better with it. It can be quite hard getting large foils to accelerate thru waves but extra camber really does wonders.

haare
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Lahti, Finland
Favorite Beaches: Egypt - Marsa Alam
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Zeeko spitfire
F one diablo 6.4 and 8
Flysurfer sonic 2 11, 13, 18
Elf Joker 15

Postby haare » Tue May 03, 2016 4:59 pm

Ordered 12m version, with 25m lines, no bar (have peter lynn Navigator 4 line bar for this).

Very light weight. Weight on website is 15m version. My 12m including bag and bridles was 2500gr. It is between FS speed 4 lotus (2300gr) and FS speed 5 (2700gr).

Seems to be build ok. Stichwork is definitely not FS class, there are some loose lines here and there. But everything seem to be reinforced so this is hopefully mostly minor cosmetic thing.

Conversion to 4 line kite:

- It is easy to remove 5th line. There is no separate tabs for fifth line like in aurora. 5th line is connected to the center tabs on right side in my case.

- I need to try my setup in low wind to confirm does it work with FDS and 4 lines.

- There is absolutely no wind today :( Cant wait to try it out! I will report how it goes!

edit 4.5.2016:

- Still no wind. I connected my lines to my bar. Bridles seem quite long compared to my speed 3 15m. I am worried about YZ and AXY lines. They are not sheeted like in my FS speed. I have had to replace my pulley lines in FS speed so no sheet makes me worried how long they will last. They can be easily replaced though.

4mo
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2006

Postby 4mo » Thu May 05, 2016 5:09 pm

I should have taken the 12m out yesterday for a short session with my foil board but chickened out and pumped my 12m Envy... not enough wind for the envy and I got skunked.

I have more time and more wind today...

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Mon May 09, 2016 5:24 am

The pulley lines should out last flysurfer ones, but because they have no sheath they may break with no warning.

windrider1
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: FLYSURFER, HQ KITES, OZONE KITES

Postby windrider1 » Mon May 09, 2016 6:54 am

Hey jamie I'm in nyc andand i fly mostly closed cell foils as i kite on land and now water. If u need some help with them let me knw. I think foils are superior to lei even though the gap has closed nowadays with the the newer bridled leis. But still a foil is a better choice if u do water and land kiting. A foil is easier to set up u just have to pack it away without disconnecting your lines. They are also lighter in the air and a litlle more powerfull than the equivalent lei and that wrks for me.

[quote="Jamie-NYC"]The following comment is not a review, just a description of the first foil kite experience of new Pansh A15 owner, offered for those considering the kite.

Took my new A15/18m to Turks & Caicos for 12/26-1/1. Uncharacteristically windy December week for TCI, so flew my LEI, but one morning in light winds got the Pansh out to try. Watched the one other foil kite launch to remind myself how to do (from watching videos), but that kite was 12m. The A15/18m stretched the width of Long Bay beach, was a tight spot for it. Launched, and the kite flipped over as it rose off the beach, and down it went on its leading edge, behind a parked kite. It definitely does not steer like an LEI on launch, that is for sure. When I had cleared the lines and was ready to launch a second time, the wind was up, and I decided was better to pack it in. I blew it with the deflate/fold on the cramped beach with now 15knot wind. Long story short, had spaghetti mess of brides and lines by the time the kite went in the bag (will have to figure out how to get to the zipper with kite on it’s back). I put in an hour the next early AM and was able to carefully disconnect and clear the flying lines, and one side bridles. Still have one to go. At least I learned a lot about the bridles in the process. I will wait for summer to try again, on my home beach, which is wide and largely empty in the launch spot.

I

windrider1
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: FLYSURFER, HQ KITES, OZONE KITES

Postby windrider1 » Mon May 09, 2016 7:52 am

Goodluck gettin a response from pansh. Same exact thing happened to be i bought a Genesis kite last year. After reading some rave reviews. Long story short the kite arrived and i took it out for a fly . Got it up in the air and pulled in the bar to power it up and guess what . Nothing happened. No power,, All lines tensioned. I had a big laugh cause it was really unbelievable, never seen tht before. put tht together with the fact tht kite was extremly slow was enough for me .i went Through paypal to get my money back took about a month and a half. You will have to mail the kite back to pansh and submit proof to paypal. And they will refund u. Be carefull wht u say to paypal make sure u stress the item is sugnificantly not as described doesn not work as descibed. Pansh makes a good fixed bridle kite but their depowers are poor copys of other peoples kites and pure junk . They dont have a kiter tht designs their kite just a half trained chimpanze.

matt_81a wrote:Hmmm. I bought it the A15 as well due to good reviews here. However it seems that it was a real mistake.
A 15 meter kite that won't even stay in the air. Keeps backstalling and it is just plain awful. Supposed to be a light wind kite, but doesn't fly in light wind. Tried with a Ozone racebar, FS bar (all 4 line), but no success.
Oh yes as well it came with broken tension bands - same places on all 3 of them..
Lesson learned - will not buy no-name again - wasted money.

Unless somebody has any idea why it would fly so bad, it is about to be turned into a hammock...

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Mon May 09, 2016 11:40 am

I don't know where you got rave reviews for the genesis? I got it because I thought what the hell it was cheap and the aurora was not bad. How wrong I was :-/ It's kinda like an incomplete kite in a way. Happy to say the A15 is well designed unlike the genesis.

Return to “Foil Kites”