Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: The Pansh A15, an A18 review

Postby foilholio » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:49 pm

Thanks.

I found you answer what a clamshell launch is on here http://www.powerkiteforum.com/viewthrea ... #pid188018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMmVygMdJ9o

Arnt you worried a yeti might take your blower :lol:

Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster
Style: Rough and tumble
Gear: Ram air and single skin Foil kites. Long skis to truck, short skis to huck.
Brand Affiliation: www.hardwaterkiter.com Authorized retailers of Ozone, GIN and HQ kites.
Has thanked: 0

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:30 pm

Naaaah. Fortunately there is little demand for E-Leaf blowers in the Yeti circles. The blower makes life much easier as the only reasonable places to launch at most of our areas are in the wind shadows. It's a long time getting an Arc to inflate in a wind shadow.

We've added some magnets to tips of our spar pockets to assist with keeping the kite clam shelled w/o the need for weight unless it's really windy.

The 15m A-15 should show up today. It will be here on time for sure because we have zero wind today. :roll:

Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster
Gear: Ram air and single skin Foil kites. Long skis to truck, short skis to huck.
Brand Affiliation: www.hardwaterkiter.com Authorized retailers of Ozone, GIN and HQ kites.

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:15 pm

Took the 12m A15 out today. No wind, gusts to 4kts if I was lucky. 20F air temp.

I built a race bar and put it on that. Without any wind it's impossible to draw any real conclusions but with minimal effort I was able to get the kite launched and flying figure 8's with minimal stepping back to generate apparent. Turn rate seems really good. I mean REALLY good. Handles overbar steering without too much stall or tip collapse when you get aggressive. Inflates fast. Faster than a Flysurfer or Matrixx 2 but not as fast as an Ozone Chrono 2.

First impressions are pretty darn good. To get anything to fly today is tough, even an 18m Sonic really struggled to get airborne.

Build quality is surprisingly good. Material feels like 20D or similar. I wouldn't want to put it in a tree but it seems as durable as it needs to be under normal conditions. Not sure what the heck they made the mixer out of. Looks like rawhide. Stiff as rawhide. Bridle points all looked solid. I didn't use the 5th line. Would like to avoid it if possible. Wonder how it would handle a FLS.

My initial feeling is unlike an Ozone or Flysurfer it's not a kite that will last you 10 years and still be usable. But for the money, especially at the sale price, it's a worthwhile purchase for something that will last you a couple of years. I'm looking forward to seeing what this thing can do.

I put it on a race bar. If it's not dialed in now it's very close I think. I will know better tomorrow probably.

sparkin_larkin
Rare Poster
Local Beach: nc outter banks
Favorite Beaches: nc outter banks
Style: cruising
Been thanked: 0

Postby sparkin_larkin » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:28 pm

thought you got the 15m HK? So you got a 12m too?

Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:38 pm

Nah my bad. Miss typed. I got the 12m. I don't have any 12m kites in our demo inventory that aren't race style AR. Not that this is going to be used as a demo or school kite, but just wanted to see where Pansh is these days and if it would be a vialble kite for our students and clients that don't have the funds to purchase what we carry.

Sorry for the confusion on the size. The whole A-15 name tripped me up. And I was originally going to grab the 15m but it would overlap too much with a few other kites in our inventory.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:04 pm

The 12m is good like I guessed. The AR is good for a 12 or 15 mid AR. The mixer is a bit "hmm" compared to flysurfer, but does the job. What do you think of the bridle stitching? not enough?

I think pansh offers dealer discounts. Good luck getting a reply out of them though, if they do I think it can take months.

Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:42 pm

The bridle stitching seems pretty good. Better than I would have expected and as good as some that I've seen on other pricier brands. I didn't see anything that was a red flag but to be honest I gave her a quick once over and threw it in the air 20 minutes after picking it up.

The mixer is flat out weird. I'm okay with weird but I'm curious as to what the heck it's made of.

The AR seems to be withing the Psycho/Matrixx 2 range and I'm hoping/suspecting it will fly kind of like those kites. If it were pure white and you told someone at a distance that it was a Matrixx 2, they wouldn't doubt it for a second.

I wonder if it scaled down well in the 9m range. As HQ can't seem to get the 9m Matrixx 2 back on line this would be a good second option if it flies well. I haven't had an opportunity to see the stability this thing has to offer but from your reports my feeling is it has some to spare and the 9m, even if comparatively twitchy, could be a nice ride.

For us locally the real test will be gust management and depow. It could be the nicest kite ever in smooth winds but with our gusts, usually a 100% gust factor, kites can beat the heck out of you.

Bridled kites have come a long way in terms of gust handling. It will be cool to see if this kite is in the same realm or a few years behind.

Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:22 am

One thing though about the bridles. The sheething is so stiff it offers sort of a "spring" quality to the larks heads and they aren't really tighton the LCL. If you grab an individual bridle line and pull, while looking at the LCLs there's a lot of travel before the larks head snugs. Probably 3-4mm. Now as I said I didn't have a chance to fly in any wind. And the kite generated minimal pull. I suspect after a solid windy session everything will bed in a bit.

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:37 am

"I wonder if it scaled down well in the 9m range." -Hardwater Kiter

If bigger sizes are good, I wouldn't doubt smaller are worse. And 9m is kinda ideal size, not big or small.

"For us locally the real test will be gust management and depow. It could be the nicest kite ever in smooth winds but with our gusts, usually a 100% gust factor, kites can beat the heck out of you." -Hardwater Kiter

I agree 100%, this is the question. In perfect conditions many kites feel very good, but when it is getting nasty it is nice to have a flysurfer (but not Psycho1 :) ) or LEI. That is my experience.

sparkin_larkin
Rare Poster
Local Beach: nc outter banks
Favorite Beaches: nc outter banks
Style: cruising
Been thanked: 0

Postby sparkin_larkin » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:01 am

Am I right that the Psycho 4s were good in the smaller sizes? I had one but it was a 15. Interesting thread though..cheap kites from china that might work. You've got my curiosity!

Return to “Foil Kites”