Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin
Brand Affiliation: None

Sonic Bridle Breakage

Postby Adventure Logs » Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:15 am

Looking for other Sonic rider experiences out there. Second time I've broke some bridle lines on my Sonic 18. Dropped it in small surf and while I know that's the type of situation that you are most likely to break something, it really was small mushy waves and normally wouldn't have worried about it. So looking to see if others out there are noticing their bridles are breaking easier. And if so, what are they breaking. I'm looking at holding on some extras since the turn around time for new lines is pretty long. For me the majority of the lines breaking are on rows b and c.

Also anyone have a how-to on making your own lines. Love to know how to make the loops, and just do it all myself. Thanks

=J-

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Re: Sonic Bridle Breakage

Postby foilholio » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:25 am

If you look at my recent post on the A15 thread,viewtopic.php?f=197&t=2391108&start=10, I talk about the LCLs a bit. I am not so sure FS has recalculated the correct LCL break values for the thinner sonics lines, just a guess as I haven't looked into it. It's doubtful that LCLs will work as well with thinner/weaker lines, except to change bridles. This would be because the working loads start to approach break you don't have much margin for the LCLs to do their job.

I have started a thread on making bridles viewtopic.php?f=197&t=2391081 . I'll make a new post there to help you.

Good luck.

foilonfoil
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Belmont Shore, CA / Hood River, OR
Favorite Beaches: Crissy Field, San Francisco, CA / Benicia, CA / Sail Bay, San Diego, CA / Hermosa Beach, CA
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic Race, Core Section V1's, MikesLab Foil, Camet Boards.
Has thanked: 0

Postby foilonfoil » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:34 am

logsdon wrote:Looking for other Sonic rider experiences out there.

Also anyone have a how-to on making your own lines. Love to know how to make the loops, and just do it all myself. Thanks

=J-
No doubt you are going to break bridle lines in surf - it would the last kite I would use in the surf if there was a chance I was going to drop it. I have a set of LEI's for surf and gusty conditions.

I normally replace with factory bridle lines but have a few old race lines rolled up which I use for temporary bridle lines. As far as knots are concerned, I just use a double figure 8 using the opposite bridle line as a template. There are sizing charts if you need specific measurements.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:50 am

I dont know if I would say the sonic would be my last choice. I was actually surprised by its stability and had fun riding waves with it. I dont think the race kites will get damaged by waves as long as there is no line tension. I have had near zero problems with kites getting damaged in waves. I used to do stuff that made LEI riders cringe, I think I still do. I was discussing light wind wave riding with an LEI rider and he mentioned the first time he dropped a zepher or dyno, cant remember which, it got trashed. Over the years I gathered that this is a problem/concern for bigger LEIs and a reason you dont see them in surf. In addition you cant ride downwind well with them. But as you say "chance to drop", foils kept within their limits the same as an LEI wont drop, it's just the limit is wider for a foil because it's weight is lower and evenly distributed. The problem with foils is they often need active control to stay within the limit where as an LEI doesn't. A permanently rigid frame certainly helps.

Return to “Foil Kites”