Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Speed 5

Postby foilholio » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:32 am

Why do you need bungees when you have meters and meters of line to tie things secure?

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:17 pm

foilholio wrote:Why do you need bungees when you have meters and meters of line to tie things secure?
I don't like to secure it by wrapping the last bit around the bar. Puts more wear and tear on the bar grip(which the infinity 2's had a problem with). I just wish they would do something similar to the ozone bar setup. I never understood how flysurfer can make some fantastic foils but their bars have always been mediocre.

=J-

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:36 am

I'm wondering what size the orange kite looping so fast is. Certainly not a 15.

You can catch a glimpse of the velco butt hole if you look closely. (Don't get your hopes up lemonhaze, its a kite vid not a prono.)

[vimeo]http://vimeo.com/152537650[/vimeo]

https://vimeo.com/152537650

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:03 am

it is quick!

Logsdon bar grip is really not too difficult to replace. Grip that wears is always going to be a problem with soft foam. They could use rubber like slingshot or switch, but then your hands have to suffer. I think mediocre bars are common from most small brands. If I look at all bar setups from all brands I can point to something crap about them. Customize and make your own, much better. Bit sad in 2016 to need to do this but owell. A few of my components cant be bought and aren't used anywhere in the industry.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:04 pm

foilholio wrote:it is quick!

Logsdon bar grip is really not too difficult to replace. Grip that wears is always going to be a problem with soft foam. They could use rubber like slingshot or switch, but then your hands have to suffer. I think mediocre bars are common from most small brands. If I look at all bar setups from all brands I can point to something crap about them. Customize and make your own, much better. Bit sad in 2016 to need to do this but owell. A few of my components cant be bought and aren't used anywhere in the industry.
My ozone bar never fell apart compared to the infinity 2. Tried to regrip it the FS, looked like crap and that bothered me. At least these new FS bars are holding up. Now they just need to update the trimmer. Maybe a custom bar is in my future sadly.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:38 pm

I have seen some cleat style bars from FS. Quite frankly there is so many cleats ,kiting and sailing, out there I wouldn't wait for the perfect combination from any brand, which is just not going to happen, and do it myself.

zeroowl
Rare Poster
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 4 Lotus 12m 6m
Flysurfer Speed 5 18m 9m
Has thanked: 0

Postby zeroowl » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:11 am

I was riding Speed 5 in 9m for last month.
Really like the kite, especially lift and hang time.

But I have a serious problem, that I need an advice for.

In medium to high winds 18+ knots.
When I land the kite with help of assistant ( in side of the wind window).
till I came to kite, and deflate the air the back tail of a kite , The kite trying to do a "crazy dance" .
And this cause almost every time huge mess with bridle. So I have to spend 5-25 minutes to untwist it next time I want to use it.
I was thinking to film it, but not yet.

In same wind even my lotus 12m never make any twist with bridle.

Any suggestions? Advice?

windrider1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: FLYSURFER, HQ KITES, OZONE KITES

Postby windrider1 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:49 am

yea a video would be helpful to see exactly wht you are experiencing.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:29 pm

Really down to how the person landing the kite handles it. If they don't have a clue like most kiters you need to tell them to grab the tip ,hold it on the ground and put sand on it. Even then gesturing to hold it on the ground and put sand on usually helps as they probably still dont understand. If they just stand holding it in the air it'll flap lots and tangle. Usually helps to quickly run over and take it off them. If you get a tangle don't pull hard on it, toss and tease at it like cooking pasta. If you can get the tangled mass loose it will usually pull undone, quick and easy.

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:07 pm

foilholio wrote:Really down to how the person landing the kite handles it. If they don't have a clue like most kiters you need to tell them to grab the tip ,hold it on the ground and put sand on it. Even then gesturing to hold it on the ground and put sand on usually helps as they probably still dont understand. If they just stand holding it in the air it'll flap lots and tangle. Usually helps to quickly run over and take it off them. If you get a tangle don't pull hard on it, toss and tease at it like cooking pasta. If you can get the tangled mass loose it will usually pull undone, quick and easy.

hmm I bet it is because the kite has formers in it to hold the shape. This means the kite is holding more air is likely to be stiffer and prone to holding it's shape, all of this means it will jump about.

Make sense:?

Return to “Foil Kites”