For all foil kite riders
airsurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf and hydrofoil big air and kiteloops
Gear: Ozone,Firewire, Moses, Zeeko,Levitaz, NP, ION
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Chrono V2 18 meter unstable

Postby airsurfer » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:36 am

I don't mean to hijack the topic I was just saying from my experience the Chrono V2 18M should be extremely stable so something is wrong could be in the bridle or the kite internals almost sounds like it it's building uneven pressure causing the imbalance. the V2 is more stable than the Lotus 18M because it doesn't tip tuck ever maintains high pressure and clean leading edge due to stiffeners in fact othwr than the size the two kites are very different.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:51 pm

Dont worry hijacking is normal here. The OP has been given enough answers to work something out.

Tip tucking with FS kites seems to be a side effect of the way they do projected area changes. Is it something you noticed with turning?

You didn't answer if the V2 was better on slack lines? I noticed the surfboard. Next time on a wave heading at the kite, park it directly at 12 and ride the wave till you have no tension in the lines, you may be surprised. The bigger speed3/4s can do this, far from easy or the best, but capable.

airsurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf and hydrofoil big air and kiteloops
Gear: Ozone,Firewire, Moses, Zeeko,Levitaz, NP, ION

Postby airsurfer » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:37 am

I ride the Chrono 18 v2 in 6-12knots with Firewire Vanguard 6'2. The board has 44liters of volume combined with its shape it allows me to ride very fast to build apparent wind and get upwind or very slow without coming off a plane to catch a wave or cutback without losing too much speed and having to worry that much about the kite position. Best I can describe is that I try to avoid slack lines with any large kite especially foils but I can ride towards kite quite a bit without it falling and it kind of follows along with out overshooting the window or losing pressure and doing weird things . I wouldnt exactly say it drifts but it will follow along down the wave but due to the long span of the kite I am very agressive turning the kite at the bottom of the wave and following any cutbacks to maintain pressure. The Lotus 18 would tip collapse or lose pressure in these types of moves if you're not careful. That's not to say the Lotus can't drift it's light weight and low AR high camber help but the Chrono V2 with higher cell count LE stiffeners makes it easier and more predictable. the V2 is a very easy going and forgiving kite it's definitely not a REO wave kite but sometimes you just want to get out there and ride when the waves are clean and you don't want waste all your energy getting upwind

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:44 am

I have been surfing with foils for a very long time . Slack lines is the key especially on the big ones as they hold their shape better than smaller foils. The turning speed on most foils especially the big ones is not really fast enough to suit any other style. But it's good because surfing with no line tension is the best surfing you'll get with a kite. I would be very surprised if the v2 is better than the lotus in this regard or even any good at it at all. From what I have noticed lower AR and ,especially, more C shape help tremendously to help a kite right itself, or not become a twisted mess, when the lines are slack. Some of the flatter foils I have tried this with are quite crap at it. It's also why I find projected area change through canopy curve so interesting as you can have the best of both worlds, lots of power and efficiency with a highly stable kite. Anyway if you want to add a kite that seems alright at it the A15 is quite cheap. Though it wont be better or even close in any other regard to the chronos, sonic or lotus,etc.

I keep dreaming of a balanced ultra light Dihedral kite that will always right itself and fly perfectly with no line tension. I am sure maybe in 10-15 years something like this will exist. And surfkiting like I and a few others do will be quite common.

Huib
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Brouwersdam, Ouddorp
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Groove Full carbon Wave, Ketos 118cm board, Ketos Foil, BRM Cloud E8+ 6.2 +4.8+3.7+ 2.8+2.2

Postby Huib » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:59 pm

Update. I get a little frustrated . There is absolutely no speed in solving the problems with the kite from Ozone .
From my reseller I understood that the Dutch importer wants that his team rider, when he has time, also test the kite.
This team rider is likely to come to the same findings and then Ozone still have too find a solution.
Ozone hasn't offer an other foil for me so long to borrow for the time.
I order the kite in de second week of November and still have nothing :angryfire:
Is it reasonable that I'm getting impatient?

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:50 pm

Huib wrote:Update. I get a little frustrated . There is absolutely no speed in solving the problems with the kite from Ozone .
From my reseller I understood that the Dutch importer wants that his team rider, when he has time, also test the kite.
This team rider is likely to come to the same findings and then Ozone still have too find a solution.
Ozone hasn't offer an other foil for me so long to borrow for the time.
I order the kite in de second week of November and still have nothing :angryfire:
Is it reasonable that I'm getting impatient?
It's has to be your dealer. When the bridle snapped on my V1 Chrono and tore the wing in half, my dealer took care of me right away.

=j-

Huib
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Brouwersdam, Ouddorp
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Groove Full carbon Wave, Ketos 118cm board, Ketos Foil, BRM Cloud E8+ 6.2 +4.8+3.7+ 2.8+2.2

Postby Huib » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:51 am

My dealer does what he can . But he has no other major Chrono in his possession.
He gave me a Zephyr on loan but the lowend of that kite it is not much better than my Edge13.
The importer for the Netherlands doesn't has any knowledge I think and don't know what to do.
I think I will demand my money back and order a Sonic FR 18 meters.
Don't know when the Speed5 18 meters is coming.
Last edited by Huib on Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:28 am

Kamikuza wrote:
plummet wrote:I'll be honest it was horrible.
All this time, you're ragging on the Speeds? Tsk tsk.. :lol:
I have never ragged on speeds. They are awesome kites. I just like the higher aspect foils more!.... To be fair the 18m speed I flew, flew nicer than the 18m chrono.

But ultimately I don't want either of them in the 18m size. To big, too slow. Not dynamic enough to fly. I can get higher and more fun jumps on my 12m in 13+ knots.

mgs
Frequent Poster
Style: Skimboarding, flat water & small waves
Gear: Ozone Chrono 18m (V1)
Ozone R1 15m (V1)
Ozone Chrono 12m (V1)
Peter Lynn Nova 10m (V1)
Peter Lynn Nova 8m (V2)
Zap ACE - Skimboard
DB Sandfish - Skimboard
DIY Kite Parts - Many sewing machines :-)

Postby mgs » Mon May 30, 2016 11:42 am

Hello Huib, out of interest what is the current situation?

alexrider
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: foils and foils

Postby alexrider » Mon May 30, 2016 12:05 pm

Huib wrote:My brand new Chrono flies unstable....
Isn't there a mistake on the drawing? Shouldn't the bridle marked as B (top right) be on the second row instead of the first which is logically the A? Are you sure you measured the correct B bridle lines?

Return to “Foil Kites”