Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Flysurfer Speed 5 vs speed 4 and backstall.

For all foil kite riders
Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Speed 5 vs speed 4 and backstall.

Postby Adventure Logs » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:29 pm

windrider1 wrote:Just to give an update. The problems with the kite have been all sorted out now. turns out my front lines were infact stretched a little bit and my first attempts to adjust the mixers was wrong. With that being said the kite definitely flies different to the speed 4 and its a little more of an aggressive and precise flier. The new profile does not allow for a lot errors in tuning. If youre coming from a speed 4 you will notice the difference as the 4 is a slightly eaisier flier which I prefer. The speed 5 performs more closely to the sonic. And to Corbett I ve been flying powerkites for more than 12 years but I don't work for flysurfer. :thumb:

corbett wrote:Windrider,

you wrote on another forum "I am not new to this game kid I fly kites for a living I fly every week 365 days a year."

You must work for Flysurfer.
Been asking this a lot but no response yet. Have you flown the sonic? Which one do you think turns faster?

So the bridles are more sensitive like the sonic? I've broken a couple bridles on my S4's and you can usually just quickly tie them together to finish the day if need be. On the Sonic, that won't work. Any little change in bridle length makes some pretty negative effects. I wonder how they will age.

=J-

windrider1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: FLYSURFER, HQ KITES, OZONE KITES

Postby windrider1 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:01 pm

I just got a sonic and from my limited flying time the sonic has a little bit of an edge even though the new speed 5 has a similar profile. , and yes minor differences on the speed 5 bridle will make it fly out of wack. example the bar I was using on the speed 4 worked fine even with center lines a little bit stretched but made the speed 5 act up. The bridles are thin but I havnt busted any and I don't expet too, I think they will hold up just fine.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:14 pm

This is where race style trim systems make a lot of sense for higher AR foils...when the flying lines are uneven you just move the stopper knot on the extra long trim line to even them out.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:15 pm

One of the great things about these high aspect foils is there ability to back stall.

I have my 12 chrono set up so I can back stall it to the ground when static flying in 12 of so knots.

Its freaken awesome. It allows you to get a good boost. Sheet out glide/glide/glide. Then sheet in just before landing for an amaisingly soft landing. It gives you far more precision than a kite set up with no back stall.

But if your ham fisted fly it like an lei and don't let the bar out the kite will fly like shit.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:31 pm

plummet wrote:One of the great things about these high aspect foils is there ability to back stall.

I have my 12 chrono set up so I can back stall it to the ground when static flying in 12 of so knots.

Its freaken awesome. It allows you to get a good boost. Sheet out glide/glide/glide. Then sheet in just before landing for an amaisingly soft landing. It gives you far more precision than a kite set up with no back stall.

But if your ham fisted fly it like an lei and don't let the bar out the kite will fly like shit.
Concur, but I think it's important to have your line ends tuned "neutral." That's why I love the foil break strap, it's just enough of a lever to pull the kite down on the ground in a clean straight path.

Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster
Style: Rough and tumble
Gear: Ram air and single skin Foil kites. Long skis to truck, short skis to huck.
Brand Affiliation: www.hardwaterkiter.com Authorized retailers of Flysurfer. Ozone, HQ kites and Gin kites.

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:11 pm

plummet wrote:But if your ham fisted fly it like an lei and don't let the bar out the kite will fly like shit.
Truth. :thumb:

Return to “Foil Kites”