Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: sonic2 coming

Postby foilholio » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:49 am

What is this Pansh we are dealing with? :lol: Logsdon send that Flysurfer back to them for a refund, and make sure you PM windrider about it. :lol:

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:47 pm

I shortened B by like 3cm which fixed most of the wing tip problems but it lost its grunt which its ok since I love my 18 sonic. Only problem is I was planning on taking the 11 on my motorcycle trip down to Argentina as a 1 kite quiver and I lost a lot of confidence in it. I asked my dealer and he said that there has not been even one bad sonic out there so yea. I might end up getting a Sonic 2 but that means I wouldn't have a chance to fly it till I'm on the road and I'm not too happy about that. I've had like 10 FS kites and this is the first one that's really disappointed me so I'm not too turned off on the brand. Usually my dealer does fantastic service which has been great. We shall see.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:30 pm

logsdon wrote: I asked my dealer and he said that there has not been even one bad sonic out there so yea.

Would a salesman lie? I do wonder. :lol:

Pity you can't try another one to see if it really is the kite. Knowing flysurfers history, with so many cells on the sonic I would not be surprised one bit if mistakes were made.

anyway

Try loosening C while keeping B at 3cm short ( changing C changes B on flysurfers) to get back some grunt back. You may find after loosening C a bit you can loosen B again.

to get a bit more complicated

You can also keep your previous depower, because shortening B 3cm is a lot of lost depower it is equal to 12cm lost bar travel. You will adjust C and Z instead to do that. You will need to make an extension for Z or use a ZMOD. The calculation is simple, what change needs to occur to C and Z for B to move up 3cm and be level again? Well C is double B so C is 6cm and Z double C or quadruple B so 12cm. So from that you level B from -3cm and extend C6cm and Z 12cm. You can do this in a more simple fashion. After extending Z 12cm, then with a mixer test you will then have C correctly adjusted by 6cm, now you just need to shorten B 3cm again! If you do this you may want to measure A to B fully depowered and correct for shortness by extend Z in addition to the 12cm by what ever A to B is LESS than 25cm then times it by 4 because Z is 4 times B. 25cm is exactly one quarter the C pulley if it was 100cm at it's correct length. I wrote more about that here viewtopic.php?f=197&t=2392205.

now to get even more complicated :-)

You can alter the bridles at the kite. We now know in one way to adjust the profile we can extend Z 12cm and C 6cm. So instead of using the mixer we can make extensions for LCLs. Not as time consuming as you may think either, just pieces of light 50-100kg fishing line doubled into a loop with a figure8 knot. I would start with the Z adjustment and ignore the C first. You can adjust the tip bridle 12cm and then reduce the adjustment say 2cm each bridle towards the center. So at a 2cm reduction bridle to bridle you change 6 bridles like this 12,10,8,6,4,2. You may find now with Z extended like this you want to just use the mixer to finish the adjustment. Extending C like we previously found for 6cm will correctly adjust the tips but also increase the camber of the center of the kite increasing performance!. You may even find you can now extend B as well further increasing performance. My albeit limited understanding of what is going on is the spanwise flow increases from increased lift in the center. This spanwise flow helps support the kite.

fogmeister
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: ontario
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Flysurfer, ALPINEFOIL
Has thanked: 0

Postby fogmeister » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:50 pm

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:10 pm

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:52 pm

Interested to see what this "supercharger" bridle setting is. If they fixed the wing tip tucking I might be all over it. I've heard of stability issues though. Wonder if it will pack up smaller due to being lotus fabric.

=J-

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:29 pm

logsdon wrote:Interested to see what this "supercharger" bridle setting is.
Something like a Diablo or WAC line. It's a way to over-camber the airfoil so you can go deeper and faster downwind. It makes a HUGE difference, you go from putzing along at 110* to the wind on a broad reach to zorching downwind at 160* to the wind just by sheeting the bar all the way.

renaudbarbier
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Dubai - nessnass
Favorite Beaches: Massirah island - oman
Maldives
Style: foiling
Gear: Mantafoils kitefoils/windfoil/supfoil
Flysurfer kites
Brand Affiliation: Mantafoils.com
Been thanked: 0

Postby renaudbarbier » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:27 pm

Mossy 757 wrote:
logsdon wrote:Interested to see what this "supercharger" bridle setting is.
Something like a Diablo or WAC line. It's a way to over-camber the airfoil so you can go deeper and faster downwind. It makes a HUGE difference, you go from putzing along at 110* to the wind on a broad reach to zorching downwind at 160* to the wind just by sheeting the bar all the way.
but does it makes the kite slow in turn? the diablo has this non reactive bar feeling due to that. I hope FS found a compromise here...

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:43 pm

It's a diablo line, mentions rear lines , extra pulleys and tangles.

The kite does look nice, I like the increase in AR.

Interesting as I predicted the 6m sonic1 proto became the 6m sonic2 :lol: The development of that probably naturally led them into this new version. May be wise to only add the sizes you need as sonic 3 will come next year and 4 the year after. Great to see all this development in foils but would be nice if there was some kites other than high AR from the big brands. I am hoping ozone can convert one of their freeride opencells to closed or something.

pndLA
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: brazil, west-oz, capetown, MRU, Lanzarote, Tarifa...
Style: Waves & Foil
Gear: Slingshot / Ozone / North / LEVITAZ Foils
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot, Ozone, North, Gaastra,
Been thanked: 0

Postby pndLA » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:48 pm

such a nice spot where they shot the video!!!

Return to “Foil Kites”