Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: The problem with flysurfer mixers.

Postby foilholio » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:20 am

Mossy 757 wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:49 pm
3 pulley bridles that let you tune your wing tips apart from the rest of the kite
Good mod I need to try.

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:55 pm

I'm not 100% sure if I got it right but if foilholio thinks shrunk pulley line physically limits depower it is not the case. Limited depower (and more importantly overall shitty behaviour of the kite) is because too short pulley line lowers the camber (B-C area) and distorts the shape of the kite. And not only pulley line shrinks but also B-C bridle lines and of course Z too.

That 3 pulley bridle Sonic Race uses is not that simple mod, but good luck if someone tries to test it.

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitexpert » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:16 pm

It is easy to check wear marks of the pulley lines to see what is the working range of them. In early years I sometimes rotated pulley lines to bypass worn part because replacement line/suiteble dyneema wasn't always available.

If bar sheeting range is very long and kite is big it may be possible that pulley line really limits depower by restricting movement. But if it is so then mixer is designed too short from the beginning (or working range of pulley line is too near at the end of the line). When I've made mixers to my own kites I've never thought very much of pulley line lenghts, they just have to be of reasonable length.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach

Postby foilholio » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:22 pm

kit expert wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:55 pm
I'm not 100% sure if I got it right but if foilholio thinks shrunk pulley line physically limits depower it is not the case.
You are both right and wrong lol.
kit expert wrote:
Limited depower (and more importantly overall shitty behaviour of the kite) is because too short pulley line lowers the camber (B-C area) and distorts the shape of the kite.
You don't believe bridles can change camber. Stop posting they can or you might start discrediting yourself.
kit expert wrote:
And not only pulley line shrinks but also B-C bridle lines and of course Z too.
Are you super super sure about that? did you measure lots and lots of lines? It's sounds more credible if you post that they stretch. Posting that they stretch sounds more like something you would say.

kit expert wrote:
That 3 pulley bridle Sonic Race uses is not that simple mod, but good luck if someone tries to test it.
Um someone came out with it before flysurfer. If adding a pulley and pulley line sounds hard to you, don't EVER ever try designing and making a kite from scratch, that's clearly out of your reach.
kit expert wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:16 pm
It is easy to check wear marks of the pulley lines to see what is the working range of them.
LOL ROFL. Sounds reasonable and is likely to influence those with weaker minds.

kit expert wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:16 pm
If bar sheeting range is very long and kite is big it may be possible that pulley line really limits depower by restricting movement.
What no, you're not contradicting yourself again? and only the post just before too. Come on try to make it more believable.

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitexpert » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:22 pm

Foilholios posts are getting quite stupid and meaningless, there is apparently some clumsy sarcasm and genuine lack of understanding - difficult to tell those from each other.

Sonic Race has different pulley ratios for wingtips and center of kite. It is not simple mod and very probably not beneficial for lower AR kites. But foilholio doesn't get these kind of little things and is probably already cutting lines and buying more pulleys...

If there is someone who has expectionally long bar travel and a very big kite, who knows maybe pulley line length in some cases can restrict depower. But only foolholio thinks it is a usual problem and thinks that few % shrink of pulley line could be enough for it.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:47 am

ROFL

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:46 pm

I'll add to this that it is probably better to add a pigtail to Z, rather than move the C pulley line. Still use the knot in the rear main so you can have 3 positions to move Z. It just means that when you adjust Z you won't change your trim, like happens with the way I originally posted. I would set the mixer level and AB limit corrected with Z attached at the middle knot so you can move it to be shorter or longer, i.e. one position up or down.

I have thought a bit about what I think is a better mixer setup, rather than adjustments for B and C like with flysurfer and will make a post about it soon.

Return to “Foil Kites”