Medium Poster
Local Beach: Bellingham, WA, USA
Gear: Mostly race gear. Foil kites.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Recoating kite fabric

Postby gwicke » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:49 pm

A downside of silicone caulk is its softness, which I think contributes to the fabric remaining relatively stretchy along the bias (diagonally). Looking at a few datasheets, it seems that harder silicone formulations contain more fumed silica (cab-o-sil) filler, which is also commonly used to thicken up Epoxy (and toothpaste). The GE caulk I used has around 5-10% for a 20 shore A cured hardness, while slightly harder silicones have 15%. http://www.cabotcorp.com/~/media/files/ ... rubber.pdf has a graph indicating that 30% fumed silica by weight would result in a 46 shore A hardness. That might be a bit extreme, but I could see adding 5-10% to silicone caulk work well.

Slyde
Frequent Poster

Postby Slyde » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:55 pm

Reviving this thread. Foilholio can you update us on how the shoe goo/toluene coating has held up over time?
Also has anyone any experience with CRC aqua armour which seems to be some sort of naphtha petroleum waterproofing spray. It looks easy to apply but may be only a waterproofing rather than a sealant as it is advertised as breathable.
Cheers

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:37 am

Sorry I havn't actually used that kite much anymore so it is not a good gauge on the longevity of the coating.

Gyre
Medium Poster
Gear: Flysurfer Speed4 21m
Flysurfer Soul 15m
Flysurfer Speed3 12m
Ocean Rodeo Flite 12m
Flysurfer Speed5 9m

Nobile split board L
Flydoor XL
Liquid Force Comp 137
Slingshot vSurf foil & Simulator foil board

Postby Gyre » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:44 pm

Slyde
Frequent Poster

Postby Slyde » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:26 am

Its based on chemical nanotechnology......so it must be good. That statement is enough to put me off. Why do manufacturers feel the need to add this crap to their marketing. Just makes me suspicious that I am being taken for a ride

Gyre
Medium Poster
Gear: Flysurfer Speed4 21m
Flysurfer Soul 15m
Flysurfer Speed3 12m
Ocean Rodeo Flite 12m
Flysurfer Speed5 9m

Nobile split board L
Flydoor XL
Liquid Force Comp 137
Slingshot vSurf foil & Simulator foil board

Postby Gyre » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:54 pm

Yah I know! Everyone knows it's Quantum Physics that makes stuff waterproof, not chemical nanotechnology! :lol:

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990

Postby JakeFarley » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:18 pm

Sail & Kite looks quite similar to a silica nano coating I spray on my truck, called Permanon. It works pretty good on hard surfaces, but I don't think it would improve the surface characteristics of a kite. I might try it on some ripstop nylon to see if there is any improvement. If I do I'll report the results.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:27 am

Many of these spray on products are designed to improve water shedding or repellency . In particular many of the cloth based sprays are designed to also maintain air breathability or flow for wearer comfort. With kites particularly foils you want to prevent airflow. Waterproofing is more of a side effect to a good coating.

I suggest you guys try the coating I used, as it worked very well and is quite cheap.

PugetSoundKiter
Frequent Poster
Style: Wake TT, Strapless Surfboard, Landboard
Gear: Cabrinha, Ocean Rodeo, Slingshot, Naish, North, Pansh, Ozone, HQ, Peter Lynn

Postby PugetSoundKiter » Sat May 18, 2019 4:49 am

Anyone know if the ozone chrono v1 fabric was nylon or polyester or a blend, or? I’m thinking about giving the old chrono v1 a fresh outside coating of styrene butadiene rubber (marine goop) thinned with xylene and toluene. Nylon should be ok but extended exposure of polyester to these thinners may be marginal according to http://rfelektronik.se/manuals/Datashee ... tguide.pdf
ChronoV1DirtOuts.jpg
The coating on the inside of the chrono may be styrene butadiene rubber or silicon as something like that is starting to peel off the fabric inside the wingtips. It is not peeling off in other areas yet, but I'm looking to reduce the kite fabric porosity and extend it’s life.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Sat May 18, 2019 2:15 pm

Doesn’t the toluene or xylene flash off in a few minutes?
Either way I would test the mix first on a small, easily repaired part of the kite or a patch of the cloth.

Return to “Foil Kites”