Water launching Sonics, any success?

For all foil kite riders
MarkusK
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 85
Style: Freeride. Ski: Mountain backcountry
Gear: Kauper Falcon 11/13, F-One Pocket Carbon Custom, RL Manta
Brand Affiliation: None. I value fitness over marketing.

Re: Water launching Sonics, any success?

Postby MarkusK » Sun Jul 30, 2023 8:40 am

This looks brilliant but I don’t understand how to pack the kite so that the bridles remain tight? Can anyone explain?
I do it almost as Horst Sergio said, but I always keep the QR attached and I have decent elastics on my bar ends (use Liros Shock Cord, 3 mm, 00190-0300 if your bar manufacturer failed you).
Keep the bar at the leading edge of the kite and roll the lines up including the pulleys and bridle lines until it's so tight that the bar end almost touches the two folded parts of the leading edge. That way, all lines must be inside the kite. When you roll up the kite and reach the bar, release and reattach the elastic at the bar end to gain a little more line length.

artificialname
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 100kg
Local Beach: Toronto
Gear: Cabrinha crossbow 11metre, 2012
Ozone Edge 17m, 2015
Pansh Genesis 8m
Bar - HQ4 / Airush
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby artificialname » Sun Jul 30, 2023 2:08 pm

MarkusK wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 8:40 am

I do it almost as Horst Sergio said, but I always keep the QR attached and I have decent elastics on my bar ends (use Liros Shock Cord, 3 mm, 00190-0300 if your bar manufacturer failed you).
Keep the bar at the leading edge of the kite and roll the lines up including the pulleys and bridle lines until it's so tight that the bar end almost touches the two folded parts of the leading edge. That way, all lines must be inside the kite. When you roll up the kite and reach the bar, release and reattach the elastic at the bar end to gain a little more line length.
Thanks. Do you fold the kite wing tip to wing tip?

After you’ve winded up your lines, before you roll the kite, is the bar at the centre of the kite or at the wing tips?

MarkusK
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 85
Style: Freeride. Ski: Mountain backcountry
Gear: Kauper Falcon 11/13, F-One Pocket Carbon Custom, RL Manta
Brand Affiliation: None. I value fitness over marketing.

Postby MarkusK » Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:53 pm

artificialname wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 2:08 pm
Do you fold the kite wing tip to wing tip?
Yes. If possible, I also fold the last meter of each tip in again, that saves time rolling.
artificialname wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 2:08 pm
After you’ve winded up your lines, before you roll the kite, is the bar at the centre of the kite or at the wing tips?
The bar is in the middle between wing tip and centre of the kite, usually a bit more towards the wingtip, as this makes it easier to start rolling the tips. The idea is to keep the bar close to the position of the mixer (where front and back lines meet) when the kite would be flying. That way, all lines should be slightly tensioned, so that they stay between the folded kite halves.
These users thanked the author MarkusK for the post:
artificialname (Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:27 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Foil Kites”