Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Foilholio pleat mods

Postby foilholio » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:48 pm

You know you are just about the least helpful f***.er on the face of the earth. All you do all day is criticize every thing. The way you talk you have got to be about the most farthest thing from an expert I have ever heard. So you think pleats are crude? Mr Fuckles what is better? Seriously offer a fucking suggestion that is better. Bet you can't because you are full of shit.

And yes modern kites do get sewn up wrong, what the f*** do you expect for 20cents an hour? Ask Flysurfer, vulgerop, or just about anyone if you don't believe me. Twit.

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:23 pm

To warn to not to make wrong corrections is very helpful. It is just stupid to try to undermine my expertice for foilkites, since I have worked with them for almost 15 years now. I have studied, repaired and dismantled many kites to separate panels and ribs, including paragliders. Not once I have seen poor quality in sewing. Gliders are of course best quality work by far, then comes FS kites, Ozones etc.

"And yes modern kites do get sewn up wrong..." -foilholio

How? You foilholio don't know a shit how kite is sewn. I have worked with sewing machine for about 1500 hours, more than I should have. Don't you understand that if you screw up something so bad it was essential, the parts of the kite don't fit together any more? And every seam is full of alignment points, have you even heard that term? This "bad sewing work" is 99% just excuse to get rid of those difficult clients who see problems everywhere and who don't understand their kites or know how to adjust them to fly correctly. Resellers and importers don't have time to argue with idiots, it is easier to give a new (similar) kite, perhaps with equal lenght flying lines or symmetrical bridle/speedsystem (if there really was something wrong with the original).

"...what the f*** do you expect for 20cents an hour?" -foilholio

You are ignorant. Every kite comes from China, Sri Lanka, Korea or Vietnam. Quality of work is very high, no matter what they are paid.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:50 pm

My Summit V3 is flying strait now thanks to the pleats. Arguing about it really isn't adding anything.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:24 pm

Jakemoore yes I will ignore him. Soon :lol: . He will probably claim he invented the pleats any minute now. As you can see they work. Kitetwit likes to have his bit in everything. Feels he is an expert and pretends to talk like one. He has criticized the work of every kite and designer on the earth. Got stuck into the speed5 as soon as it appeared. I rarely if ever see him be helpful.

Just ignore while I vent a bit at him.

@theKitetwit

You are a twat who really doesn't know anything.

1500hrs is nothing.

You ask me how kites get sewn up wrong hahahaha that is gold you're the fucking "expert" and you don't even know. You spent 1500hours doing what again?

Oh and now you are an expert on dealing with workers in poorer countries. double gold! you really have no fucking clue.

If you want to impress people and be the "expert" try offering helpful suggestions, you know like I have in this thread. Don't go around making shit up or offering your ill thought up opinions on everything. Especially don't come belittling people for trying to help like I have. I don't think you can be helpful. Case in point I ask for you to suggest something and you have nothing to offer.

Anyway you want to learn and become the "expert" and not the twit you are now. Start reading http://www.peterlynnhimself.com/Pilot_Tuning.php, use a dictionary (or 10) and make sure you know what it is your reading. But until you have a but more education how about you change your username or offer a bit of a disclaimer. It really is a bit of fraud you are committing with that name.

ok back on topic. I forgot to add, when using pleats to make a kite fly strait you won't get the amount exactly correct until you fly the kite in it's maximum wind a few times.

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitexpert » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:08 pm

"My Summit V3 is flying strait now thanks to the pleats. Arguing about it really isn't adding anything." -jakemoore

Ok. You can correct existing asymmetry with counter asymmetry. It is practical way but a bit crude like I wrote, it very probably does not fix the original cause for the crooked flight behavior.

"1500hrs is nothing." -foilholio

It is 1500 hours more than yours time with sewing kites, isn't it 8) Don't you feel a bit arrogant now, foilholio? Your contribution so far has been: 1. make kites lighter "to kitesurf in 2.5knots" 2. zero struts, thin LE strut 3.loosen Z 4. testing myriad (useless) mixers, trying to invent the wheel again

You don't know at all which are essential or interesting parameters in kite design.

And plus that 1500 hours of hard sewing work hundreds of hours design work and study, with three different design programs, airfoil study with virtual wind tunnels, understanding more than basics of aerodynamics, test flying/using/owning to date more 100 different kites, every possible size and kite type. I own about 30 traction kites at the moment, to 2m2 to 24m2, foils (mostly), LEI's, arcs and two single skins.

Just making an arc usable and flying took several hundred hours - with difficulties that you foilholio don't have a clue. You don't even know how ignorant you are.

"Especially don't come belittling people for trying to help like I have. I don't think you can be helpful. Case in point I ask for you to suggest something and you have nothing to offer."

It is a bit too late give good advice if making pleats for almost new kite has been done. I warned to not to make them if similar case happens in the future. My advice is to find out where asymmetry is and fix the original fault.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:04 am

The asymmetry is in the kites shape, either because of the fabric or sewing. You do realize you can see and measure this, but you were too busy being a twit to work out how :-) I don't even think flysurfer knew that or how to correct it for a while.

Trust me enough people know the truth about this that you are making a fool of yourself. Go ask Flysurfer about their quality problems and why they don't make certain kites any more :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: German quality my arse. Trust me in a court of law I have nothing to worry about making statements like that. Vulgerop can go f*** themselves too.

English is a great language to learn stuff, now go off and hop in your cocoon as a twit and come out The "expert".

@Jakemoore do you see what he basically said, that you didn't fix your kite. :lol: A kite he has never seen or touched. Oh and hes grand concern if someone puts a pleat in is that sewing holes with be left if they make a mistake. He doesn't even realize you can test this without sewing. TheGenuineTwit he is.

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitexpert » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:39 am

"The asymmetry is in the kites shape, either because of the fabric or sewing."

Is this a measured fact or just guessing? If you knew foilholio better how kites are sewn and knew how precise used parts are and how high quality the fabrics are (they don't stretch randomly) you perhaps wouldn't write that kind of bold statements.

Show me one kite, preferably known make like FS or Ozone, which has asymmetry in its shape, "either because of the fabric or sewing." Exact measurements, not stupid guessing "it must be bad sewing work"... I remember in some kite book there was "an example" in which a rib was claimed to be sewn upside down resulting crooked flight. In practice this is very difficult to do even on purpose, upside down rib just don't fit to its place. It is about the same like to use right shoe in left foot.

"Trust me enough people know the truth about this..."

Nonsense, if you read some opinions from the internet it does not mean it is true. It is so difficult to measure kite panels precisely from the kite that most people are not capable or willing to try to do it. I am quite sure if you foilholio would go and measure kites, every single one would be asymmetrical according to your "measurements" :lol: .

Resellers/manufacturers are ready to take back some percentage of kites, good or bad. These "bad" ones may be used as a school kites, resold or used as a spare parts or prop. It is wiser to them to not to start arguing with difficult customers and possibly harm their reputation.

"He doesn't even realize you can test this without sewing."

I'm not very intererested in methods of unprofessional fixes. I guess you mean using tape to make test pleats. Have a nice day with taping kite and doing test flights..

Like I said earlier it is possible to counter asymmetry by adding a new asymmetry. I don't recommend it, it is much better to fix original asymmetry, the real cause for crooked flight. Unfixed original asymmetry may increase or added fix may fail.

PL's advice to do pleats was meant to adjust primitive Pilot kite, a kind of bush fix. To jakemoores credit he did his pleats nicely.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:13 am

Everything I have stated is a fact, go ask Flysurfer if you don't believe me. You seem to have not much clue really. If you are in fact a kite designer it wouldn't surprise me at all, and I truly feel sorry for the people that have paid money for the things you have "designed".

BTW measuring is relatively easy you are just on the complete wrong path, like a good designer would you need to combine multiple things, which for poor designers is not obvious at all, hence you can't comprehend all the other things I given you hints for. If you're going to come on here as the self elected messiah of kites don't expect any easy lessons, especially when you fight so hard to hold incorrect positions.

Return to “Foil Kites”