Untangling Bridles/spreed system on Chrono V2

For all foil kite riders
Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos
Brand Affiliation: None

Untangling Bridles/spreed system on Chrono V2

Postby Robsw6 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:01 am

First time I used the Chrono V2 - it filled up really nicely, launched perfectly and flew like a dream - in 6-7 knots I was blasting around doing 16-18knots on my hydrofoil - then.... bollox, the wind went to zero..

The kite landed in the water - I rolled up the lines, undid one drain valve and rolled up the kite from the other end - I could not get all the air out, but decided to start swimming - BAD move, I clearly should have persevered - as I was coming in, some of the bridle came out and I got in a tangle, also the kite had taken on water !

Got the kite up the beach and dried it out & packed it away - but my the bridle looks like one of Tony Soprano's favourite meals - a fest of spaghetti - the person who sold me the kite very kindly has offered to help to detangle it, but in the meantime, I have studied the bridle diagrams and it seems clear, until I unpack the kite and it looks like Mr Messy & Mr Muddle have had a cage fight in the middle of my Chrono....

Are there any tips, advice to follow - apart from dont detach anything, as I understand if you do that you are properly in the ### !

Thanks in advance

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Re: Untangling Bridles/spreed system on Chrono V2

Postby gmb13 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:10 am

Hi,

Hopefully your bar is still attached. Then its basically a closed system and will be relatively easy to untangle. All you have to do is find and undo any loops that have formed and untangle those.

If you have disconnected the bar and lines, then it will take a lot of patience. Make sure the Bridles are all on the correct side of the kite.

Start with the A bridle lines and work your way though all the loops and tangles.

--
Gunnar

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:17 am

There are rarely ever knots in a bridle, since they're connected it's usually just loops within loops. Fluff it up with your fingers, pull gently, and drink heavily while working as it will prevent you freaking out and losing your mind.

Good luck!

corbett
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Many
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby corbett » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:26 am

Removing the 4 flying lines to deal with a severe bridle tangle is very helpful.

Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos

Postby Robsw6 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:12 pm

Thanks for the above - much appreciated. I will have another go tonight - I was tempted to do give it a go sipping a G&T, but thought better of it !

I have left the lines/speed system/bridles all attached as was told that if I take anything off, it becomes an impossible task!

On trying to work from the lines & speed system, there are a multitude of overlaps and from the diagrams, it should all sit squarely.

More patience required & possibly Prozac !

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:21 pm

corbett wrote:Removing the 4 flying lines to deal with a severe bridle tangle is very helpful.
Rotten bugger :lol:

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:34 pm

What they said--loops and wraps and if you're really unlucky, you've put the bar through something.

So layout the kite as if for a launch, undo about a meter of line back from the speed system then tie off the lines onto the bar (assuming you did a good pack down). Gently fluff out the tangles. Ignore the diagrams, it's all pretty obvious, and you'll soon see if you've put the bar through a bridle layer or not.

Just don't undo anything :lol: shouldn't take you longer than 30 minutes . . . what were you doing when the kite was drying? Why didn't you untangle it then? 8)

Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Robsw6 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:38 pm

Kamikuza wrote:What they said--loops and wraps and if you're really unlucky, you've put the bar through something.

So layout the kite as if for a launch, undo about a meter of line back from the speed system then tie off the lines onto the bar (assuming you did a good pack down). Gently fluff out the tangles. Ignore the diagrams, it's all pretty obvious, and you'll soon see if you've put the bar through a bridle layer or not.

Just don't undo anything :lol: shouldn't take you longer than 30 minutes . . . what were you doing when the kite was drying? Why didn't you untangle it then? 8)
I spent an hour trying to untangle as the kite was drying :roll:

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:43 pm

TheRussian wrote:
Kamikuza wrote:What they said--loops and wraps and if you're really unlucky, you've put the bar through something.

I spent an hour trying to untangle as the kite was drying :roll:
You're doing something wrong :( what seems to be the trouble? Have you poked a wing tip through the bridle too?

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:57 pm

Corbett you must be baiting him :-)

Never remove your flying lines. They are your only path out. You basically follow the lines out of the mess and the mess will resolve. Pullies and pigtails will be a source of pain and you should question Ozones choice of both because they may have caused the tangle in the first place and they will certainly make it worse and more painful to undo. Simplest advice is you want to loosen things and never tighten them, focus on getting any and everything loose, follow random pieces out and undone , tease and shake the whole lot. With the right combination of teasing and shaking you will be amazed what comes undone and how quickly. Remember you can always follow the lines in to find what is next to come out. They are the stable point, undo them and you'll start making more knots than you undo, so never do that.

Once everything is straighten out, if bridles are crossed because of a wingtip or bar going through, you can just pass the bar through the bridles to undo the crosses. With the kite laid out flat and the bar wrapped up and tied off just before the bridles , just pull the bridles tight and you should be able to work out what needs to go where. Get to know your bridles a bit when you setup, crossed bridles will be blatantly obvious in future.

Return to “Foil Kites”