Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Pansh Genesis and some tuning

For all foil kite riders
Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Pansh Genesis and some tuning

Postby Regis-de-giens » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:36 pm

Feedback from a Friend who owned the v1 first ; he tested static on the beach , in very light wind :
- line length is ok out of the bag for standard bar ( previous one needed long pigtails on front lines)
- kite is stable
- turns slowly (light wind has certainly not helped ...)
- deflating zips still located in strange and quite non-logical locations

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:49 pm

--

PrfctChaos
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Perth
Style: Wave
Gear: Peak4's, Chrono V3, Skimboards, foils

Postby PrfctChaos » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:33 am

Out of the bag, testing 6 m 2019 model in about 20 knots:
-I found it turned fast enough
-Stable with the bar fully out (4-line equal length bar). (Still pulled very strongly, not de-powered at all. All 4 bridles were still visibly taught)

It would stall when pulling in the bar just a little (100 mm for example).

I added about 150 mm pigtails to the rear lines. It helped with the stalling.

Extended Z bridle by about 50 mm and C by 25 mm (by experimentation) to give a bit more de-power range. After this it flew and behaved very well in lightish wind (15 knots)

I found the problem with the front edge deforming only really happens in strong wind (20-25 knots). Haven't tested it with the new leading edge battens yet.

olebarry
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Ireland
Style: Onshore dumpy beach breaks, small airs
Gear: Flexifoil Shiva 3D 2015 11m
Pansh Aurora II 10m
Gastra Spark 2013 7m
Best Guroo 2008 6M
Flysurfer Radical 5 138 * 42
Alpine Foil VR5 V2 with XLP wing
Has thanked: 0

Postby olebarry » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:55 am

Great news! It seems Pansh have listened to the feedback and there is now 3m 4m 5m available also. I need to make a decision, what should I use for High wind Foiling?

Im 105kg on an Alpine foil access v2 with the xlp wing. I Find the 6m good to around 23 knots too much power then, maybe a 4m?

https://www.panshkite.com/index.php?gOo ... oductname=

NorthernKitesAus
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Altona Beach, Melbourne
Pallarenda Beach, Townsville
Favorite Beaches: Altona Beach
Torquay
Bells
Winki Pop
Bushland Beach
Pallarenda & The Strand
Cocos Islands
Fiji
Bali
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Flysurfer Speed3 dlx 15m
PANSH Aurora 12m
Naish SLE Boxer 15m
RRD Type 9 12m
Peter Lynn WF 5.6m
Fluid ATV 10m
Slingshot 9m
Slingshot Fluid 13m
Naish Boxer 12m
GlobeKites 12m
Naish Cult 13.5m
Naish Helix 12m

MBS Core 95
6'2" thruster
9'2" "The Gill" (1963) malibu board
9'2" "Waterman" Merricks Longboard (2003)
Brand Affiliation: Peter Lynn

Postby NorthernKitesAus » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:51 am

So how are your Genesis 2019 guys!? I recently kited in 17knots (12m version), and I was pleasantly surprised. I was most impressed with how stable it was, and better - how fast it spun for loops. My only gripe it doesn't go up wind quickly enough. It gets there but there is a fair bit of down-wind action before the apparent wind kicks in and then she rolls with the punches.
Genesis 2019 12m, standard
55cm 4-line bar, 22m lines
148cm TT board
16-18knots
These users thanked the author NorthernKitesAus for the post:
a99 (Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:01 am)
Rating: 3.03%

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:50 pm

NorthernKitesAus wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:51 am
I was most impressed with how stable it was, and better - how fast it spun for loops.
Genesis 2019 12m, standard
55cm 4-line bar, 22m lines
148cm TT board
16-18knots
:?: :?: :?: 2017 12m Genesis I tuned for a friend was one of the slowest kites I've ever experienced. Very slow and soft kite. Is there some changes for 2019, I don't know but it looks same.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:43 am

PrfctChaos wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:54 am
So, does anyone else find the leading edge of their Genesis deforming / collapsing quite often?

I have a 6m (2019 version) an it flies pretty well, after tuning. However, multiple times a session I notice the front edge deforming / collapsing (power decreases significantly and the kite drifts deeper into the window). It regains its shape after a few seconds but it is very very irritating.

Second question, has anyone bothered to add leading edge battens on their Genesis? I found that 3 mm 3D printing filament slips in very neatly between the stitching on the leading edge. So my genesis now has battens on each cell. Yet to give it a test flight, but it looks much better on the outside now.
Leading edge deformation like that indicates a leak on the kite. It was a feature at one stage on flysurfer kites like pulse2, speed3,speed4, pyscho4. They used specifically placed air intakes to reduce pressure at low AoA. Needless to say deformation would increase with age as kites got more porous. On the Pansh there could be a rip, or maybe the magnetic valve is not right, etc.

Adding the LE stiffners will help with deforming but would make the kite likely worse for hydrofoil from more weight.
PrfctChaos wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:38 am
I might have been a bit unclear. Yes the kite stays in the sky very reliably, even with gusts.

When I say the leading edge deforms/collapses, the kite does not fall out of the sky, it just stops pulling. When you look up you can see the leading edge (the part infront of the A bridle connection) is flat/collapsed instead of the usual outward shape. It comes right after a few seconds, but by that time you have lost speed and you are in the water. Hoping the leading edge battens will sort it out.
The kite would be more likely to deform the LE when depowered, that is how it was designed on Flysurfers. You would lose power depowering the kite. Foils when slightly deflated will take time to reinflate and get full power. This is a thing when slack lining them, in that they do not instantly repower like tube kites.

PrfctChaos wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:33 am
Out of the bag, testing 6 m 2019 model in about 20 knots:
-I found it turned fast enough
-Stable with the bar fully out (4-line equal length bar). (Still pulled very strongly, not de-powered at all. All 4 bridles were still visibly taught)

It would stall when pulling in the bar just a little (100 mm for example).

I added about 150 mm pigtails to the rear lines. It helped with the stalling.

Extended Z bridle by about 50 mm and C by 25 mm (by experimentation) to give a bit more de-power range. After this it flew and behaved very well in lightish wind (15 knots)

I found the problem with the front edge deforming only really happens in strong wind (20-25 knots). Haven't tested it with the new leading edge battens yet.
Adding pigtails to lines shouldn't change the inherent stall behavior of the kite and just change the trim. If you are not getting the desired trim range, i.e. "enough" depower, then you need to change something at the bar. Lengthen or shorten lines or change trim range. Trimming a kite is a very basic skill and you should have learnt it before getting on a board.

With the mixer you should have also extended B 12.5mm to keep the ratio correct and increase the depower. With no change to B there is no real change to depower, except for some camber effects. What you did if we normalize to just B and C change is C +25mm and B-12.5mm. This is a bit of a weird change, but if it worked well then so be it. It should make the kite more stally though.
These users thanked the author foilholio for the post:
a99 (Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:01 am)
Rating: 3.03%

PrfctChaos
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Perth
Style: Wave
Gear: Peak4's, Chrono V3, Skimboards, foils

Postby PrfctChaos » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:28 am

foilholio wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:43 am

Adding pigtails to lines shouldn't change the inherent stall behavior of the kite and just change the trim. If you are not getting the desired trim range, i.e. "enough" depower, then you need to change something at the bar. Lengthen or shorten lines or change trim range. Trimming a kite is a very basic skill and you should have learnt it before getting on a board.
The pigtails were to change the trim, duh.

You can only sell this sort of junk on the internet out of china.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:56 pm

Yes but it is not clear from how you talked you understood exactly how to trim a kite.

There is much worse things from china and they sell fine and in shops. Pansh could be better but they are what they are, great value, but not the exact same performance as an Ozone or Flysurfer.

It is a pity I couldn't have helped you before. I just missed your post. It is clear you didn't address the problem right. I think the Genesis is fine.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:58 pm

foilholio wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:56 pm
There is much worse things from china and they sell fine and in shops. Pansh could be better but they are what they are, great value, but not the exact same performance as an Ozone or Flysurfer.
Something that does not work as it should from the factory is not a “great value”, it is crap.

Also your argument that Panish isn’t that bad because there is “much worse things” coming from China is also crap.

Return to “Foil Kites”