For all foil kite riders
kiteykitekite
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Gear: Core kites
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Pansh Genesis and some tuning

Postby kiteykitekite » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:50 pm

The kites behavior does look light wind to me. The mic is quite sensitive to the wind though, so it is confusing. I would check how much B is going slack when depowered. The common thing when kites hang in the middle is it is not going slack enough. I had good results massively increasing this on some kites. You need to lengthen everything in ratio though to maintain the profile. It could just be the bar setup in this case, rears did go a bit slack though, so more indicates the mixer or the wind...

Genesis Line Plan 2019
Genesis2019lineplan.xls
(30 KiB) Downloaded 90 times

S2000kitesurfer
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Poole sandbanks
Favorite Beaches: Mauritius le morne
Fuerteventura
Sardinia
Style: Moved to foiling
Gear: Flysurfer soul.

Postby S2000kitesurfer » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:33 pm

😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍 just a fantastic session .

S2000kitesurfer
Medium Poster
Fuerteventura
Sardinia

Postby S2000kitesurfer » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:36 pm

Regis-de-giens wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:18 pm
Kite behaves quite good and seems interesting indeed..., even if i would not call this "no wind"
:wink:
This was on the water at the same time couple miles away 👍.In the forest it's always considerably less.
Attachments
USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca-image-1505788606.jpeg

S2000kitesurfer
Medium Poster
Fuerteventura
Sardinia

Postby S2000kitesurfer » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:39 pm

kiteykitekite wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:50 pm
The kites behavior does look light wind to me. The mic is quite sensitive to the wind though, so it is confusing. I would check how much B is going slack when depowered. The common thing when kites hang in the middle is it is not going slack enough. I had good results massively increasing this on some kites. You need to lengthen everything in ratio though to maintain the profile. It could just be the bar setup in this case, rears did go a bit slack though, so more indicates the mixer or the wind...

Genesis Line Plan 2019

Genesis2019lineplan.xls
Yes my phone mic is super sensitive compared to the GoPro 🙋

kiteykitekite
Frequent Poster

Postby kiteykitekite » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:38 pm

I thought so but you can hear periods of no wind and no sound. Factor in delay for wind to hit the kite and the kite has no wind while the mic does. I am guessing you are just downwind from some obstacles. You will get rotors so wind going in the opposite direction for short periods and changing direction massively and quickly. The mic will still sound cause there is wind but most kites will have a hell of a time.

PS I ride in horrible conditions like this quite often. Backstall on the bar is key. You can position the kite as deep as you like with rear line tension. If only you could get rid of that wasted space where the chicken loop is.... :lol:
These users thanked the author kiteykitekite for the post:
S2000kitesurfer (Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:25 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:19 am

Kite speed when turning or crossing the wind window is proportional to wind. This is my main (and more efficient) way of assessing the wind rather than rider personal opinion and reference, or even anemometers miles away (once I was able to ride while ah an elevated anemometer on the spot indicared between ... 0 and 3 knots !!! But it know there was quite more...)

Anyway, i was not basing my wind judgment on the microphone sound, just to clarify, and i also know well the Pansh a15 UL in 9m. I know what wind is there when it flies at this speed... it is comparable to a speed4 lotus approx, which is already very good by the way.

If i had to put one figure OF MY OWN SCALE, it is a 5-7 knot. My humble opinion...

kiteykitekite
Frequent Poster

Postby kiteykitekite » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:23 am

Yes kite flying speed is proportional to wind speed, but the proportionality is not constant. As a ratio I think it is greater in less wind and lower in higher wind. There would be a point though at which in lower wind it would also become less, where the weight of the kite affects it a lot.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.

Postby Regis-de-giens » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:14 am

very "simple": kite speed is equal to (wind speed* L/D ratio) in the middle of the window (not that easy to demonstrate but easy to remember... ) (*)
with limitations or corrections in very light wind, Ok , but you get my point : for a given kite (and similar among free rides like pulsion , frs, hyperlink and A15) you can deduce the wind from this behavior or at least make a reference to your own scale ... which is why we can see that some videos claim for marginal wind while the kite still turns and fly quite rapidly ... :nono:

A15 (UL version) is a good light wind kite but not the best

(*) this method can be used to classify the l:D ratio several kite on a light wind beach or even by running a 360 around the kite

kiteykitekite
Frequent Poster

Postby kiteykitekite » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:15 pm

I draw a distinction between the turn and the flying, well more the upturn. It's the upturn where you see the biggest effect in light wind. So one thing you are missing is L/D varies with speed....

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Regis-de-giens » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:27 pm

Of course i do speak of straight line for my formula.
Why should LD ratio vary with wind ? Not in theory if we stay in the same type of flow speed (this is actually all the interest and beauty of having created this LD ratio by the way) and if the kite is not too flemsy (it is not wrt profile deformation negligeable on LD ratio).

Believe it or not, it is a good way to assess wind, definitelly.

How fast the A15 turns on the video is also a sign of significant wind anyway. I know this kite ...

Return to “Foil Kites”