Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Pansh Aurora2 Hangtime/Lift

For all foil kite riders
Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Pansh Aurora2 Hangtime/Lift

Postby Faxie » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:57 pm

I was thinking about getting a 12m Aurora2 for oldschool too. I'm missing out on hangtime on my regular 13m, makes practicing a bit difficult. The hangtime on my 18m is pretty good, but I want a kite that I can set up and pack down quick.

So, how's the hangtime compared to, say, a FS Speed? Looking at the AR (5,7) I would guess about the same?

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:43 am

The Aurora1 doesn't have as good hangtime and glide as a Speed, the A15 is much closer but still not as good. Bigger kites always have better hang than smaller ones though, so comparing an Aurora 22m to a 12m Speed the 22m will be better. I find the setup advantage of a big foil over a big inflatable is bigger than small vs small. I am sure the Aurora2 has better hang than the Aurora1, things like the mini cells on the trailing edge I think make a difference. None of them, even the speed compare to the race foils though, they have the best hang but are very pricey though. I would opt to replace your 18meter, power for power it would be closer to 15m foil. If you wanted to complement it, a 22m in ultralight would do it. If the 12m fills some specific gap by all means get it, it too would compliment an 18m. I have only seen a couple posts from people with it so far. The face book group has more about the aurora 2. https://www.facebook.com/groups/PanshKites/

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:05 am

Ok thnx. I think the Aurora2 should have better hangtime than the A15, given the higher aspect.

I was thinking of an extra LW kite in the form of the Aurora2 22, but it would only give me a knot extra lowend, maybe a bit more, and I'm planning on getting a hydrofoil in the future anyway. Plus the major reason why I have an inflatable LW kite is so I can still unhook nicely in lighter winds. (stays up in the air at 6 kts btw)

But I'm not happy with the hangtime on my Elements for oldschool tricks. They're not meant for that. So a kite to get some nice jumps + hangtime in the 15-20 kts range is what I'm looking for. And I can use it with the hydrofoil in the future too.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:29 am

It should do, someone should be able to compare them. I think the guy who posted this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YS7179f5E2Q said it was faster than the speed4.

Low end is tricky, if you are expecting to get a lot from just a kite you will be disappointed, you need both a better board and kite and skill and knowledge to go really low. If you are getting a hydrofoil then yes the 22 is probably too much unless you are trying to break records :lol: . If you compare your weight to Regis he is 60kg and uses a 12m Pulsion from 3-4knots on a hydrofoil. 75-to 80 you get 15m kite, 90 becomes 18m, heavier gives you 22 though. I will say, even 12m you will want in ultralight fabric, that is if you want to hydrofoil or surf with it, though I am not sure about surfing with the aurora2, especially 12m is small. 6knots is good now for inflatables, but even standard fabric foils have been good till 5knots static 4knots continually flown. The lighter ones go even lower, it is debatable how exactly low they can go, but I think flying down to 2-3 knots is possible. They can be modified to have a lot more lift at the sacrifice of upwind and stability, which makes things possible that are not without it. I have ridden on a surfboard when hydrofoil and race foil could not. 8)

Yes the hangtime on the Element is far from good, like most wave kites. I could say a number of other things about it and few other kites but I won't. 15 to 20, it depends on weight and board. You know toby only uses an 18 up till like 30knots? Some of my biggest jumps were near 30knots on a 15m speed3, done some good jumps in 45knots but on an 8m. hardly say those situations were practical for oldschool. I will say the 22m gives some very impressive hang in 15knots and then quickly feels like it'll kill you in 18knots.

fun2kite
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Singapore
Favorite Beaches: Secret spots around Asia
Gear: Foil: Moses
Kite: Fone Breeze, Flysurfer Sonic FR

Postby fun2kite » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:52 am

I rode Aurora 2 19M ultra light over the weekend for the first time in 10- 13 knots of wind.
Previously, I only used that same kite in 5-9 knots range and if you recall earlier in the thread, I was saying that kite starts to collapse if you ride it de-powered on hydrofoil in those conditions.

Well, for 10 knots and up on a twin-tip, it was all magic. I could ride the kite de-powered or powered and it was performing equally well.
Hang time was incredible. Once I was up, I would continue gliding for insane (comparing to the wind speed) times. It almost felt I am paragliding. Touch downs were incredibly slow and soft.

So the verdict on hangtime/lift of this kite is: incredible. !! If you are looking to jump in low wind, this will get you going high with very little effort.

It is slow. I have a 65 cm bar and even with this bar, the kite moves slow. That translates into needing to learn the timing of the bar movement as it takes a long time for kite to transition for 12 to a position where you need to land. Also, if you oversteer the kite forward too much and need to correct it upon landing, you need downwind space and distance between yourself and other people.

Once or twice I jumped and underestimated how far I will fly horizontally and the distance that a kiter coming towards me downwind would travel. There was one time when I took off and as I was flying I saw the guy coming towards me , but my horizontal glide continued and continued into his path.. It all worked out.. But you need to be careful with this kite gliding ability.

I am yet to work on my 12M kite, so no update on collapsing wingtips..

-D.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:58 pm

Some else posted they wrapped the B main coming off the B pulley once or twice through where it connects to the pulley and it fixed it. I guess you would thread it back through the loop end to hold it.

fun2kite
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Singapore
Favorite Beaches: Secret spots around Asia
Gear: Foil: Moses
Kite: Fone Breeze, Flysurfer Sonic FR

Postby fun2kite » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:32 am

Can you please point me to that post, so I can read the details?
thank you very much.
foilholio wrote:Some else posted they wrapped the B main coming off the B pulley once or twice through where it connects to the pulley and it fixed it. I guess you would thread it back through the loop end to hold it.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:07 am

Not much details but here viewtopic.php?f=197&t=2391108&p=939700
dlprince69 wrote:I have a 12m A15 and 18m A15 - Both fly nice as supplied by Pansh. Both have a slight tendency to collapse at the wingtip when close to the ground on either side of the wind window. This is only an issue when trying to land with assistance from a ground person. (No over fly issues at the zenith) - To correct this slight issue, the only adjustment needed was a single figure 8 knot in the orange B line attached to the pulley.

I also have a 8m Aurora 2 and 12m Aurora 2 - Both had over fly / collapse issues as supplied by Pansh. Consistent collapse at the wingtip when close to the ground on either side of the wind window. - To correct this issue, the only adjustment needed was as follows: On the 8m Aurora 2 - Loop the B line through the pulley twice. On the 12m Aurora 2 - Loop the B line through the pulley three times. Now both kites fly perfect. No wingtip collapse, no overfly! Very happy.
If you look how the B main connects to the pulley now, just wrap it 2 or 3 more times then out through the loop end like now. The effect is it will shorten B in the profile AND when depowered. B being shorter in the profile makes the kite more stable in general and easier to control. B being shorter in depower reduces the depower but also makes the kite less likely to fly forward. You can just limit the depower by keeping the bar pulled in a bit. So by just reducing B in the profile you can maintain the depower and still have all the benefits by just using the bar . If you just want to have B shorter in the profile you can do so by instead lengthening C and Z. Shortening B 1 is the same as lengthening C 2 and Z 4 in the profile. In reality you can change the amount you adjust C to Z, even not adjusting one and only the other. Lengthening C alone can increase stability because B is then allowed to tension more before C or Z engage. It can also increase lift because the canopy between C and Z becomes more curved or cambered instead of a flat AoA type change. If you want to do it this way start just by lengthen both in ratio C2:Z4 though.

If you wish to make some extensions, some flying line doubled over into a loop with a figure 8 knot is sufficient. Larkshead the loop end to the pulley and then larkshead the MAIN (b,c or z) to the figure 8 knot instead of on the pulley where it is now. You can simply move the knot to adjust and even quickly swap out a longer or shorter extension if you get it wrong, like i.e. running out of adjustment.

Return to “Foil Kites”