Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Pansh Aurora2 19m vs A15 18m2

For all foil kite riders
Macisback
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kahuna Surf House, Kiti, Larnaca
Favorite Beaches: Kahuna Surf House, Les Dauphins, Soma Bay, Prasonissi, Boracay, Tarifa, Sotavento
Style: Airstyle, Hydrofoil, Wave
Gear: Naish, North & Zeeko Kites, Flysurfer and RL Boards, Zeeko and Iero Hydrofoils
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Pansh Aurora2 19m vs A15 18m2

Postby Macisback » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:44 pm

So, which one in standard material will make me more happy for low wind foiling at 5-10 knots and Old school in 10-16 knots at 90kg?

Also will my North Bar work (I like my kites slow) or do I need a 65 or a pulley bar?

4 or 5 lines?

I really want to give it a shot with Pansh, just for the fun of trying a foil kite.

Compared to a Lotus 4 Speed, will it be a huge difference?

Thanks for info!

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Re: Pansh Aurora2 19m vs A15 18m2

Postby foilholio » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:24 pm

First I have no aurora 2 but an Aurora1-22 and an A15-18. I would choose ultra light if you want to hydrofoil or surf. Although you could go to 5 knots and below with the standard fabric the lighter will make it much easier, but if you don't plan to go in such light wind or surf then standard will be fine. If you like slow then well they will be very slow on a 50cm bar, I steer all my foils even down to 6m occasionally with the rear leaders, with the aurora 22 I need to do it a lot. North bars also have a Y and foils don't like that especially for low end, but you can use it still. Between Aurora1 and lotus, there is quite some difference, between A15 and lotus they are pretty similar. The a15 is more user friendly and the aurora a bit more performance. Quite a few have said the Aurora2 needs some adjustment out of the bag, not many have said that about the A15 but most have adjusted the A15 to get more performance. If you want easier get the A15, more performance Aurora2. I don't think there would be a huge difference between them.

Macisback
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Kahuna Surf House, Les Dauphins, Soma Bay, Prasonissi, Boracay, Tarifa, Sotavento
Gear: Naish, North & Zeeko Kites, Flysurfer and RL Boards, Zeeko and Iero Hydrofoils

Postby Macisback » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:32 am

There seems to be a mod by a guy at seabreeze (v2 bridles).

Does it make sense to mod an Aurora 2 19? More stable, more upwind, easier to launch, better position etc

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:38 am

I owned an Aurora v1 22m too (optimized bridles and standard cloth comparable to dlx from flysurfer), and a FS s4 10m lotus (similar design, far lighter comparable to light cloth from pansh), and recently a Pulsion 12m (limited AR like pansh a18, even lighter).

I am 60 kg with large foil wing, but transfering my personnal experience to +50 % of you weight, and assuming a18 behaviour is close to Concept'air Pulsion's, I would recommend you the A18 with no hesitation, light cloth if you can afford it which may do a big difference even under 7-8 knots :

- aurora 19m should rapidly be too powered, with a depower far less efficient than a LEI. I was overpowered as soon as foiling with a speed 15m, not comfortable knowing that such kites are hard to drive when un-powered.

- aurora 19m will be very long to turn, hence difficult to manage lulls under 6 knots

- transitions in hydrofoil will be very technical with aurora due to slow turning

- for the waterstart, a18 will be more agile which will largelly compensated the difference of size and projected area (aurora is more flat on top of the +1m2)

-a18 much more fun for surf

- more user feedback on a18.

- a18 certainly more userfriendly for medium skills in foilkites.

In my opinion in your case (hydrofoil and surf), the main (and only) advantage of the aurora would be for racers : the speed when pointing upwind and downwind at narrow angle. But in the detriment of a transverse "standard" ride where you will not be able to ride as soon as the wind speed increase (due to overpower). Aurora should stay at the zenith with a bit less wind, but a18 should win when working both kites .

So, A18 definitelly to me ...with light cloth which will save you some swim back to shore and easier kite work when underpowered and for waterstarts.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:09 am

Macisback wrote:There seems to be a mod by a guy at seabreeze (v2 bridles).

Does it make sense to mod an Aurora 2 19? More stable, more upwind, easier to launch, better position etc

link?

PugetSoundKiter
Frequent Poster
Style: Wake TT, Strapless Surfboard, Landboard
Gear: Cabrinha, Ocean Rodeo, Slingshot, Naish, North, Pansh, Ozone, HQ, Peter Lynn

Postby PugetSoundKiter » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:55 am

I agree with what Regis-de-giens wrote. I own a Aurora v1 19m, Speed2 19m, A15 18m and at 90kg they all get me out on light wind sessions. If you want to go faster the higher aspect ratio Aurora and Speed kites do better. I'm enjoying the A15 more now, it's fast enough and I'm more agile on the board. I like the A15 better on a pulley bar. The light fabric is probably better performance but the trade may be less durability/life.

Macisback
Frequent Poster

Postby Macisback » Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:33 pm

Hm, this really sounds like I should give the A18 a go.

Where can i still get a pulley bar?

I am really not sure about the light version yet.
I wouldnt trust that slim bridles when jumping in flat water?

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:56 pm

Pulley bars are easy to make.

I think you will miss quite a bit of lowend on a hydrofoil with the standard fabric.

Macisback
Frequent Poster

Postby Macisback » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:02 pm

The Flysurfer 18m Speed 4 Lotus didn't lift me on the Zeeko Blue&White hydrofoil in 6-7 knots.
I rode 10-15m and was on the foil but then sank back.

I ordered a Low wind wing (Carver) that gets going at 5 knots instead of 7.

So I need more pull at start and more grunt once up.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:05 pm

Macisback wrote:Where can i still get a pulley bar?
My first one for the Aurora 22m was the original bar from an old LEI Liquid force 16m model Assault ; it is sometimes called "turbo bar" if you look for a second hand. Then for a friend who bought also a Aurora 19m, I did it myself for him, indeed not complicated : 1 pulleys on each extremity of the bar, longer rear pre-lines than will go through the pulley and then attached to the front line starts above the trim (to double the trim as well). After first trials, if bar pressure is too high for jumps, you can also try to put a not along the rear lines to lock the pulley at a certain bar stroke ( which will limit the turbo effect at maximum pull-in stroke)

Return to “Foil Kites”