Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Pansh Aurora2 19m vs A15 18m2

Postby foilholio » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:41 am

The pansh fabric coating is quite good it doesn't really get wet much like the lotus, so because the kite stays light it will relaunch in quite little wind. The drainage however on the pansh is not as good as flysurfer, so even a little water starts to become a hassle. The split cells are one of the problems as each cell has a little hole to drain and it takes time for water to move cell to cell, doubling the cells really slows it down. The other problem is pansh doesn't have a continual drain(open hole) in the tips unlike flysurfer, so water takes longer to exit and the velcro seems less likely to open for some reason. The tip could be altered but there is benefit to air pressure by not doing it the flysurfer way.

Turning is not quite up to latest flysurfer standards. Turning is something I think flysurfer puts a lot of effort into, maybe because foils have been highly criticized for slow turning. There is negatives to tuning a kite for better turning, a loss of power and stability. Good turning kites tend to over emphasize the tips, they become unstable while the middle of the wing goes unused. Using a pulley bar you will get turning faster than a flysurfer anyway. I think turning is over rated, I surf with kites and most guys use the fastest turning kites available and are perplexed how I can ride slow turning kites and often not even turn them. But to me this is the most enjoyable way to ride waves with a kite, over the years I see more and more people ride like this so I "may" be right :D .

C does seem to help with responsiveness. I remember Funalex talking about C and turning. But again you loose performance tuning for turning. Do you want best lowend or turning? I don't think you can have both :( Mind you increasing the camber on my A15 certainly helped both.

Foils in general can be messy when flagging. Surprisingly or not the fifth is the cleaner option with the best chance for relaunch. The most important factor for either fifth or front line flagging for relaunch is to have a stopper set at the correct point. Where "exactly" that is I couldn't tell you but it is somewhere just after the bridles are slacked, maybe within 1-2m. Too much slack and you start to get tangles , too tight and you start to lose some flagging, especially if you get tangles when/before flagging! I played with lengths a bit but I really only flag to kill a kite, so it hasn't interested me more than to know that and so also I don't even use a stopper.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:22 pm

Where are you with this choice aurora vs a15 ?
A friend of mine would like to replace it aging speed2 15m dlx. Use with a big TT spleen door L or possibly directional board infinity nobile. He weights 65 kg , quite skilled and mostly freeride apllication. He wants to keep a 15m... so aurora v2 or a15 for him ?
I vote for a15 since his huge TT (main boatd for light) is slow ... but without being 100 % sure

Macisback
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kahuna Surf House, Kiti, Larnaca
Favorite Beaches: Kahuna Surf House, Les Dauphins, Soma Bay, Prasonissi, Boracay, Tarifa, Sotavento
Style: Airstyle, Hydrofoil, Wave
Gear: Naish, North & Zeeko Kites, Flysurfer and RL Boards, Zeeko and Iero Hydrofoils
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Macisback » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:26 pm

Looks like the Aurora2 has more float/hangtime and is the more performant kite overall.

A15 is more userfriendly.

Have a look at the Panshkite group in facebook and reviews/forums at Extremekites.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:52 am

Do you know which stays at the zenith with less wind ( assuming same cloth, Aurora I would bet) and which is easier to keep in the air while working the kite ?
which one relaunches in less wind (A15 I would guess)?

Macisback
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Kahuna Surf House, Les Dauphins, Soma Bay, Prasonissi, Boracay, Tarifa, Sotavento
Gear: Naish, North & Zeeko Kites, Flysurfer and RL Boards, Zeeko and Iero Hydrofoils

Postby Macisback » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:15 pm

Unfortunately no, I am in the unpacking stage only :-)
All comments are from the guys at Extremekites and Panshgroup I chatted with before buying.

Today I unpacked my Aurora 2 19m (Standard).
Seems very well built (even for 3-4 times the price the materials used and craftmanship would be good).

Only slight flaw was that on the tips some of the minibridle attachement lines had some brownish colour on them (see pics). If that concerns you, for a few Euros that can easily be changed.

Will see soon how it flies. As I am new to Foilkites, I guess I will hire a teacher the first hours to build up (bar and 5th line adjustements) check, start and land a few times. This is a huge kite....

Macisback
Frequent Poster

Postby Macisback » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:22 pm

20160914_181647.jpg
20160914_181716.jpg
20160914_181916.jpg
20160914_181926.jpg
20160914_181932.jpg
20160914_181944.jpg
20160914_182236.jpg
20160914_182401.jpg
20160914_182523.jpg
20160914_182417.jpg
Attachments
20160914_182549.jpg

windrider1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: FLYSURFER, HQ KITES, OZONE KITES

Postby windrider1 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:27 pm

pansh kites always seem like a good deal when they arrive thyre all nice and shiny looking. but wait till get it up and u fly it for a while , then u realised u got fleeced. if u have any problems send it back to a guy on here called foilhole he works for pants kites and will give u a refund.
Macisback wrote:Unfortunately no, I am in the unpacking stage only :-)
All comments are from the guys at Extremekites and Panshgroup I chatted with before buying.

Today I unpacked my Aurora 2 19m (Standard).
Seems very well built (even for 3-4 times the price the materials used and craftmanship would be good).

Only slight flaw was that on the tips some of the minibridle attachement lines had some brownish colour on them (see pics). If that concerns you, for a few Euros that can easily be changed.

Will see soon how it flies. As I am new to Foilkites, I guess I will hire a teacher the first hours to build up (bar and 5th line adjustements) check, start and land a few times. This is a huge kite....

Macisback
Frequent Poster

Postby Macisback » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:39 pm

Well, a few guys here fly this kite out of the bag and are very happy with it. Amongst them the owner of a small kite company who has his kites produced there.

I will give it a shot for 380 Euros ;-)

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:55 pm

Oh dear windrider, just can't stop can you! Nope I don't work for Pansh, and I don't get any financial benefits from them, other than the same cheap kites at the same prices anyone else can buy. Amazing I know, to think what the "other" brands have to give away like free kites to get the kind of praise I give Pansh. I am astonished the free kites some mediocre "team" riders get. Why people support brands that conduct such idiocy giving away kites to so many people is beyond me!

As to this kite, it's interesting they are using a ring on the tip. Some of the bridles won't be tight on the LCLs till you fly the kite, you need to be careful they don't pop off till then.

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:34 pm

foilholio wrote:As to this kite, it's interesting they are using a ring on the tip.
Well, FS used similar rings years ago :roll: Rolling a line through them lead horrible shrinking, 10-15cm was easily possible. "Line-shrinker" could be the name for that part? Later FS improved their bridles and didn't use any more that kind of lines/rings.

For me using that line/ring tells again that the design of the bridle is not good. Like designer had thought: "Hmm, this wingtip line should be pulled 1:2, but my bridle configuration does not support it very well... I don't care to make it better, because at worst case I would have to start the kite all over again... Lets put good old steel ring to the kite and then line goes through it - this is so cheap kite anyway it will do!"

Return to “Foil Kites”