Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Concept Air Smart Wave 6.5 & 4.5 & 3 and now 8.5

For all foil kite riders
stefFZ
Medium Poster
Style: Strapless surfing
Gear: Concept Air Waves & Pulsions. Still a couple of Flysurfers P4.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Concept Air Smart Wave 6.5 & 4.5 & 3 and now 8.5

Postby stefFZ » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:23 am

ladomi wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:50 pm
You prefer 19M lines because they allow the kite to react faster?
Yes I find it a good compromise in waves for that size on a 60cm bar (my 12.5 is on 21m lines). As I don't use the absolute low end because I am using a surfboard, I don't really need to push the kite to its low-end limits, I prefer to switch to the 12.5 that gives the "extra-torque" that I am needing for surfing (given that the 12.5 also shines upwind).

Here are my reports on the Wave 12.5 (in French): http://lesfoilz.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4296
These users thanked the author stefFZ for the post:
ladomi (Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:41 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

gl
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 4 8 and 11, Concept Air Smart, Water Smart, Pulsion, Firefly and Wave kites. Slingshot foil boards and foils, North Nugget

Postby gl » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:44 am

I am about 80 kg. and use the slingshot infinity 76 wing. For best low end I am also using the slingshot simulator board that has lots of float. I do not pop up onto the foil on the first dive of the kite. It gets me up on the the board and then the second dive pops me up. The extra float of the board gives me the time for the kite to rise for the second dive. Once up at 12 to 13 knots no problem staying on foil. I do not like looping the kite so maybe with looping you could go earlier.
These users thanked the author gl for the post:
ladomi (Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:43 pm)

stefFZ
Medium Poster

Postby stefFZ » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:34 am

Very good session yesterday with the Wave 8.5. Wind was awful, changing force (15-25 knots) and direction, but the main direction was slightly side-off and there was a nice 1m swell. Waves were opening, not very steep but a very nice hot summer fun session.

The Wave was shining in the surf, the main difference with a LEI that I could see (there were some other guys in the waves) is that I could let the kite go and surf in these conditions, focusing only on the wave by accelerating at the take off and the kite would keeps its momentum when surfing. In comparison, the guys with LEIs had to move the kite in the wind window to avoid slack lines, the bottom turn is then a bit too low (too far beyond the wave) and the top turn is done by moving the kite back to the other side. With the CA Wave, this is closer to surfing as there is no need to do this (but one can do it if s.he wants to). One can really use the energy of the wave without being scared of the kite falling from the sky unexpectedly (the CA Wave would rather float in the air indicating that stretching the lines would be good).

When I went back, I thought that the idea that one could travel with surfboards for paddle surf and add a couple of kites to his or her quiver when wind is blowing is now fulfilled. One bar, 2 or 3 kites (I prefer 3: Wave 4.5/8.5/12.5 get me going from 12 to 50 knots) + 2 surfboards (a groveler and a board for steeper condition but still with a good natural speed, e.g Hayden Hypto Krypto) + a longboard when I travel with the van as I cannot do without it, especially in summer. Dedicated wave riders should give it a try ... for me it has been a game changer.

Stef
Flyfish (Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:19 pm)

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:25 pm

PhotoGrid_1562952306456.jpg
Unboxing of Wave 4,5m. The bridles are unsheathed nearest to kite, then sheathed, and thicker at speed system. The LE has the little plastic ribs, that I didn't expect, which is nice.
Looks robust and have high hopes!

Now we are in low wind months of July and August, but hope to get out asap on it. Have loose plans for a cape Town trip after New year's, so good to have it.

Will be interesting to see overlapping with the Hyperlink 7.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:02 pm

Went out today in 8-9ms wind. Got the Concept Air launched. Super easy launch and inflation. It flys easy not even inflated. My bar was rigged a bit wrong with too much stall in powered trim. Have to lengthen my rear lines.
On the water I couldn't get up, I tried to just power it across the window and it wouldn't pull me up, so I was over sheeting. Then I did a back loop and holy sh---t it has a good kick. Launched me off the water and over the board. Wind was dropping. I tried a few more times but drifted too far and gave up.
Went in and considered putting up my 9m hyperlink, but went with my 7m Hyperlink. I was in bottom range of 7m. Trim fully powered. So I guess I needed a bit more wind.
Have 23m lines on the CA and 20m on Hyperlinks. 633 moses wing.

I need to practice the looping start. Avoid over sheeting and choking kite. A new technique for me.
Bar pressure is nice. One time I dumped it in the water. Just bounces up. I can tell it wants to fly. The 2 intake vents are close to the center so they don't get swamped at all when it's on tips.

Looking forward to solid 20+ knots now!

Brian H
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Whiterock British Columbia
Favorite Beaches: Hurgada egypt
Style: Foilboarding
Gear: 120 groove skate board 110 & 150 Mhl lift. 9m hyperlink ultra light . 4m 5m 8m peak .4.5m Concept-air wave.

Postby Brian H » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:02 am

Tom you really need to try the 5m peak 4 . It's almost a 1 kite quiver for me at 70 kg . I have a 9m ultra light hyperlink and I don't use it much as the peak starts at 10 kts for me with long lines . I just bought a 4.5 CA wave like you for 20 kts and up so I'm waiting to hear what you think.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:11 am

From my readings of friends, the firefly and its closed leading edge , now overcomes the peak for use in water and waves. Better loops , smoother, relaunch incredible, depower with less flap... only the lift and "hang time" are lower (but anyway not enough on peak to really jump, no ?)

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:41 am

Regis-de-giens wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:11 am
From my readings of friends, the firefly and its closed leading edge , now overcomes the peak for use in water and waves. Better loops , smoother, relaunch incredible, depower with less flap... only the lift and "hang time" are lower (but anyway not enough on peak to really jump, no ?)
Regis, it seems like the guys on that French forum really liked the Firefly 4. Have you seen much about the 6? Thanks.

stefFZ
Medium Poster

Postby stefFZ » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:14 pm

TomW wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:02 pm
My bar was rigged a bit wrong with too much stall in powered trim. Have to lengthen my rear lines.
On the water I couldn't get up, I tried to just power it across the window and it wouldn't pull me up, so I was over sheeting.
I like to rig my bar on the CA waves so that there is no over sheeting fully powered and bar fully in. This is something to tune in the mid-wind range, not with 8-10 knots on the ground. You may need to trim a little in the lower wind range.
TomW wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:02 pm
Looking forward to solid 20+ knots now!
On FZ, riders around 70-75kg can ride the 4.5 starting around 15 knots with a big front wing (1200 and above). I can ride it up to 45-50 knots in gusts on a surf board (and I can still surf, no survival). But I also a 3m that I have not tried yet.

@slowboat: I just received a CA Firefly 6m pre-serie, I'll keep you posted (heading to Portugal right now). The best guy around here on a foil in waves has sold all his peaks for Fireflies (2.5 / 4 / 6 and I think he asked Benoît to make a 1.5). My feeling hearing from the riders on FZ is that it is the perfect kite for waveriding on an hydrofoil ... some sort of a new kind of kite. I still have to test it on surfboards as I don't hydrofoil.

Stef
slowboat (Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:54 pm)

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:20 pm

i'd try a firefly.....
...but a 3m peak4 is less than $500 retail shipped
..while a 2.5m CA firely is close to $700 including shipping.

if it was priced better i'd be more inclined to take a flyer on the unknown.

Return to “Foil Kites”