Local Beach: sherman island
Style: foiling
Gear: Ketos Fr2, Fr2XL Cloudkites, Pansh A15 15m, 12m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

flying on bridle to check it?

Postby opie » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:43 pm

My 4th time out with my a15 15m did not go well. I put the bridle back together wrong after a massive knot from the day before. After launching I had no power and it looked wrong so I sheeted in to backstall it but It started flying fast and powerfully backwards. I tried to figure it out but I can't see well enough and soon I ran out of butt sliding room and had to land the kite. I tried to put it back together again, and I think I did, but is there an easier way to check it than flying it? Wind is a little high today, 13 kts, and I can't see the bridal when its 25 meters away from me anyway.
I know I read somewhere that you can fly on bridle lines in higher winds. Maybe that is my solution. If so, where should I hold it, at the steering line connection?
Thanks for all the help, guys.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Re: flying on bridle to check it?

Postby jakemoore » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:07 am

Yes the kite can be flown on short lines or bridle alone. Could you get it to fly right? How would you know when it was right -especially considering that it will feel very different on short lines? In my experience a 3 cm change in C and a 6 cm change in Z makes a big difference in flight. Not sure you would see just by bringing the kite closers.

One thing that has helped me is having a friend photograph the kite in the air with a long lens from a different perspective. so for example you can see a crease in the top skin.

Common Pansh story I'm afraid. Sorry to say. I think Foilholio may be your only hope. I would start by searching and reading his posts.

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:05 am

You removed the bridle from the kite???? Which should be never done at least without properly marking them! Because bridle mess is just a "loop inside a loop" which can be undone by pulling loops out. It might take some time but less time than path I understand you chose.

I think your best option is to acquire line plan of the bridle. If Pansh does not have downloadable line plans with bridle lengths and try asking Pansh support. If no answer your best bet would be helpful user on forums to measure bridles for you. Then start measuring your separated bridle lines according to the line plan and start re-attaching the bridle correctly.

From kite's page:
But you need length of bridles - maybe there is a sparepart service?

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:54 pm

jakemoore wrote: I think Foilholio may be your only hope.
Use the force Opie :lol:
opie wrote:I put the bridle back together wrong after a massive knot
Wot :-?
joriws wrote:You removed the bridle from the kite???? Which should be never done
What this guy said.

Now the solution could be hard or easy. If you just messed the rows onto the wrong rows you can work out the correct ones by following it from the mixer. If the row orders are wrong they should follow shortest at the tip to next longer towards the center with longest in the center, comparing from the mixer of course. If the mixer is messed up there is plenty of diagrams. If you swapped bridles from somewhere to some where else, good luck without a line plan you'll need it. I suggest looking for someone who has measured the kite, I think that kiterfromgermany guy may have.

Peert
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Marina, Mirns.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Naish Boxer 6 and 9m, GA Pure 8m Naish Trip 10m, Gong strutless 11m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, T40 Moses Vorace Hydrofoil + Gong Wings

Postby Peert » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:53 pm

I measured all bridle lengths of my A15 12m. Since all of the A15's are just scaled versions of the same design you could figure out which line belongs where.

I would expect Foilholy-o would agree :roll:
Last edited by Peert on Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

opie
Medium Poster

Postby opie » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:56 pm

After the knot I spent a productive half hour getting rid of every loop I could find, but the next hour gave me no progress, so I downloaded the plans and took the bridal apart. I thought I had it right, but there is not much room in my yard. (If this keeps happening I'll have to explain to my wife and kid that the trampoline and fruit trees have to go.) I am pretty sure I got the layers right, a separate from b then c then z, I think I must have twisted the mixer or the steering lines, because when I was putting it together I did not really think that would be possible, so I was not so careful, and I couldn't really get a good look at them.
This is just a theory because after my failed launch it was balled up, one "a" line in the middle of the kite was behind the kite, the lines were on two side of a tree and when I passed the bar through to untangle I always ended up with more tangles.
The bridal is not that complicated, I think I could draw the plans without looking at them now, but I am very flaky, so there is no telling what I did wrong. I could have put it together with one line behind the kite, Or it could have gotten snagged when it was flapping on the ground before launch, I don't know.
I am hoping the wind will back off today so that I can see if I got it right this time because tomorrow I am getting shoulder surgery and I'd like to figure it out before my 4 to 6 month time off. During my rehab I'd like to know that everything is waiting for me ready to go.

opie
Medium Poster

Postby opie » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:53 pm

Got it. Flew great in the park for a few minutes. I did have a little trouble landing without my usual wind shadow. I stalled it with the two back lines and started to walk up them only holding the two steering lines. It went back up with not much power but it was uncomfortable so I grabbed the 5th and walked up that. This time I got the bridle untangled without taking it apart. Thanks everyone.

Return to “Foil Kites”