Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Flysurfer sonic Race

For all foil kite riders
fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Flysurfer sonic Race

Postby fernmanus » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:10 am

I was told that the Sonic Race was designed specifically for hydrofoil racing and that it is not much fun with a twintip. Just curious if anyone has tried one with a regular board and what they thought of it?

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby joriws » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:16 am

On IKA Europe TT-racing event Flysurfer-riders took positions 1-5. Did all those riders use Sonic Race? Only event winner is mentioned to use Sonic Race.

https://flysurfer.com/2017/07/flysurfer ... hips-2017/

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:29 am

joriws wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:16 am
On IKA Europe TT-racing event Flysurfer-riders took positions 1-5. Did all those riders use Sonic Race? Only event winner is mentioned to use Sonic Race.

https://flysurfer.com/2017/07/flysurfer ... hips-2017/
From the videos I saw there were several guys on the sonic race (black and orange top, white bottom skin)

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:37 am

Are there any race videos like filmed with drone to watch and check action/performance? I am not interested in daily recap aka interviews & "party"-videos which can be found at youtube.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:33 pm

joriws wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:37 am
Are there any race videos like filmed with drone to watch and check action/performance? I am not interested in daily recap aka interviews & "party"-videos which can be found at youtube.
I only saw recap videos, but I don't know how much you can really get from a video.

Also, for twintip slalom I don't even think foil kites are the way to go. An inflatable will loop through the turns faster. I forget what event it was one or two years ago, there was a slalom race where Florian Gruber was on an ozone edge while others were racing on foil kites. It was obvious at every mark rounding that the quicker turning, quicker through the window inflatable was getting him big gains at each turn.

There should be some good drone video from the HFPT coming up this week.

PugetSoundKiter
Frequent Poster
Style: Wake TT, Strapless Surfboard, Landboard
Gear: Cabrinha, Ocean Rodeo, Slingshot, Naish, North, Pansh, Ozone, HQ, Peter Lynn

Postby PugetSoundKiter » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:23 pm

fernmanus wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:10 am
I was told that the Sonic Race was designed specifically for hydrofoil racing and that it is not much fun with a twintip. Just curious if anyone has tried one with a regular board and what they thought of it?
Old thread but I have a question about the upper windrange of the SonicFR. I have flown an R1V1 11m (and 9m) serveral times with a twin tip when the wind started to pick up. Fully sheeting out the R1 depowers a lot in strong winds as the kite will go far upwind. This week I flew an 11m SonicFR with a twin tip because the winds picked up to 20Kts Gusting 25, I was using 15m lines. Unlike the R1 the FR was not very useable because I was mostly overpowered. When back on land I noticed the FR pulls less at Zeinth and pulls harder the lower you put the kite and; at full sheetout the FR does not fly as far forward (as the R1) I assume because it still has a lot of pull. The SonicFR was very stable even in the gusts. The previous owner had the 11m FR settings at A=Z, B=-32mm, C=-41mm, and that is what I was using. Any suggestions on B&C settings to have the kite fly further forward but not lose stability? Or is the SonicFR inherently not like the R1 and better kept in the lower/mid wind range?

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:14 pm

PugetSoundKiter wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:23 pm
The previous owner had the 11m FR settings at A=Z, B=-32mm, C=-41mm, and that is what I was using. Any suggestions on B&C settings to have the kite fly further forward but not lose stability?
That setting lowers camber quite a lot. It means kite will fly slower, boosting/upwind is worse and kite sits deeper in the WW. However lower camber means better stability.

If you make kite fly further in WW it also means it will be more prone to unstability and even collapses. I've used that kite only couple of times so I don't remember it so well but it behaved ok. I suggest to try more straight mixer setting, closer to original. Some adjustments for bridle may be needed also
These users thanked the author kitexpert for the post:
PugetSoundKiter (Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:05 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Skywalker7
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sostó
Favorite Beaches: Ulcinj
Style: Freeride
Gear: I have 14 kites, covering most of the major brands.
Has thanked: 0

Postby Skywalker7 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:37 pm

The Sonic FR is a freerace kite, something like the Sonic 3, while the R1 is a full race kite with thinner profile and less pull per square meter. You can get more performance by making a more staright mixer. b: -15 and C-25 mm should be more than enough to gain some permormance and still keeping it stable.
These users thanked the author Skywalker7 for the post:
PugetSoundKiter (Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:06 am)
Rating: 3.03%

PugetSoundKiter
Frequent Poster
Style: Wake TT, Strapless Surfboard, Landboard
Gear: Cabrinha, Ocean Rodeo, Slingshot, Naish, North, Pansh, Ozone, HQ, Peter Lynn

Postby PugetSoundKiter » Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:12 am

kitexpert wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:14 pm
That setting lowers camber quite a lot. It means kite will fly slower, boosting/upwind is worse and kite sits deeper in the WW. However lower camber means better stability. If you make kite fly further in WW it also means it will be more prone to unstability and even collapses. I've used that kite only couple of times so I don't remember it so well but it behaved ok. I suggest to try more straight mixer setting, closer to original. Some adjustments for bridle may be needed also
Skywalker7 wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:37 pm
The Sonic FR is a freerace kite, something like the Sonic 3, while the R1 is a full race kite with thinner profile and less pull per square meter. You can get more performance by making a more staright mixer. b: -15 and C-25 mm should be more than enough to gain some permormance and still keeping it stable.
Thanks! :thumb:
I'll try B=-15mm and C=-25mm to increase camber/lift a bit and hopefully the kite will fly more forward, improving the depower and retain good stability in higher winds.

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:13 pm

BTW I checked Sonic Race line plan and it quite a lot seems to me there is a design flaw in it. I also thought line plan is not correct but it is in line to what they explain in their web site.

IIRC FS replaced this model quite rapidly with VMG. I don't wonder why.

Understanding pulley systems and what they should do seems difficult... I leave it to foil kite enthusiasts to find out what suspicious or even wrong there is in Sonic Race. I'm not saying kite is not flying, more like it is a weird design and quite probably loses some performance because of it.

However it is a simple fix to make it more rational kite.

Return to “Foil Kites”