Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Flysurfer Soul

For all foil kite riders
Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Soul

Postby Regis-de-giens » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:47 am

omg wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:07 am
Basically what I am after here is that on many strapless surfboard grabbed tricks you need to loop the kite at the end/landing of the trick and if there’s heck of a pull from the kite when looping it, it makes life much harder.
Have you considered the Conceptair Wave ? It is exactly what it is designed for.

Kristan
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plescheevo lake
Favorite Beaches: Mejvodnoye, Crimea
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kites: Eleveight XS 14m, Paraavis Smile 3 15m. Boards: Flysurfer Radical 6 144x46, Flysurfer Flydoor4 170x50

Postby Kristan » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:04 pm

For winds of 12-16 knots 10m Soul would be sufficient, especially for foiling.

12m Soul has a lot of power. It hauls my 100kg ass in 10 knots wind, but that's on snow, I yet to test it on the water with TT. But I saw a dude who went with 12m Soul in 6-8 knots with hydrofoil and he was riding without any issues. But not only riding, jumping as well.

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:42 pm

kiste wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:24 am
cwood wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:01 pm
kiste wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:26 pm
I really do not know which size to buy. I have 85kg and currently sold everything besides my 8 and 6 LEI kites and i think about buying

a) 10m Soul
b) 10m Soul + 10 LEI
c) 12m Soul + 10 LEI

I ride strapless, foil and twintip (in this order)...
Foiling up to 12-15 knots maybe, then switching to strapless (hopefully in waves), then at 20 knots sometimes switching to twintip for boosting.

Soul should become my main kite for foiling, because my 10m does not start that well below 11 knots ;)
Maybe i can use the Soul also as a "wave kite" (the 10m then) with short lines in winds up to 15 Knots (not that many waves anyway at this). Is the 12m to big for foiling / wavekiting in winds up to 15 Knots?

Thanks for your advice :)
I only foil and like to be very well powered /jacked for boosting. The souls have fantastic depower so you can ride them into a much higher wind range than you would think. I weigh 185 lbs and ride mainly a race wing.
8m - 22 to 30 kts - probably ridable @ 12 - 15 kts
10m - 18 - 25 kts - probably ridable @ 10 - 12 kts
12m - 12 - 29 kts - ridable @ 8-9 kts with extensions (27m lines) and some looping
15m - 5 - 15 kts
You Ride the 12m on the foil up to over 20 kts?? Maybe you wanted to write 19? So you say: 12m on the foil at 15 kts should not be a problem? I have a bigger wing so maybe the windrange shifts a little bit to the lower end.
Yes, typo

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:50 pm

Regis-de-giens wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:47 am
omg wrote:
Basically what I am after here is that on many strapless surfboard grabbed tricks you need to loop the kite at the end/landing of the trick and if there’s heck of a pull from the kite when looping it, it makes life much harder.
Have you considered the Conceptair Wave ? It is exactly what it is designed for.
This

airsail
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg
Local Beach: Queens Beach North, Queensland, Australia
Favorite Beaches: Queens North, I don’t travel much
Style: Foiling
Gear: Sonic 3 15mtr, Soul 10 mtr, BRM Clouds 8, 6.2, 4.8, 3.7
Lift, Naish and Levitaz foils
Carbonco and home build boards
Ozone and Duotone wings
Naish Hover 95 foilboard

Postby airsail » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:07 pm

I own the 12 Soul and use it exclusively for my race foil. Great straight line kite for going places but I really don’t like it on my surf foil. It’s very powerful, easily riding in 8 knots on a race foil but it’s slow turning, no good for the surf foil where your doing multiple transitions in quick succession.
I did try a smaller foil kite for my surf foil but found it didn’t depower during a turn, and I kept getting pulled off the board during a downloop.
I now stick with LEI for strapless surfboard and surf foil up to a 9 mtr Ultra, then the 12 Soul on a race foil.
On a big surf wing you won’t need the 12 Soul for the lighter stuff, a 10 would do. But on a smaller front wing you need the extra power of the 12 to get you up to takeoff speed.
I’m 80kg

kiste
Rare Poster
Style: Freestyle, Wakestyle
Gear: Naish Boxer 12m, SS SST 9m, 7m, Duotone Whip CSC, Core SLC Foil, Wingdings...

Postby kiste » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:44 pm

airsail wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:07 pm
I own the 12 Soul and use it exclusively for my race foil. Great straight line kite for going places but I really don’t like it on my surf foil. It’s very powerful, easily riding in 8 knots on a race foil but it’s slow turning, no good for the surf foil where your doing multiple transitions in quick succession.
I did try a smaller foil kite for my surf foil but found it didn’t depower during a turn, and I kept getting pulled off the board during a downloop.
I now stick with LEI for strapless surfboard and surf foil up to a 9 mtr Ultra, then the 12 Soul on a race foil.
On a big surf wing you won’t need the 12 Soul for the lighter stuff, a 10 would do. But on a smaller front wing you need the extra power of the 12 to get you up to takeoff speed.
I’m 80kg
Thanks for your insights!

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:01 pm

Did you try shorter lines with the 12?

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:44 pm

airsail
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg
Local Beach: Queens Beach North, Queensland, Australia
Favorite Beaches: Queens North, I don’t travel much
Style: Foiling
Gear: Sonic 3 15mtr, Soul 10 mtr, BRM Clouds 8, 6.2, 4.8, 3.7
Lift, Naish and Levitaz foils
Carbonco and home build boards
Ozone and Duotone wings
Naish Hover 95 foilboard

Postby airsail » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:54 pm

Hi foilholio, I run 15 mtr lines on the 12 Soul. And when I say multiple transitions I mean a jibe every 10-20 mtrs as you ride the wind swell downwind, the soul just doesn’t keep up. I would rather have a quiver of foils but after experimenting I found they just weren’t suited to this riding style.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:03 am

15 meters should be quite responsive. Do you use backstall? If I am riding downwind I can just use backstall to position kite downwind and turn power off and on. Backstall kills power.
slowboat wrote:
Regis-de-giens wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:47 am
omg wrote:
This
It is more a kite position timing thing. Foils are a bit different in that regard. Usually should loop kite a bit early so it stays overhead when landing. Try landing your jumps a bit faster so you don't need kite pull as much after you land. You will find it easier to keep the board against your feet with more speed so you can do grabless airs. I think in general foils are harder to jump, particularly loop. The CA wave will be easier to loop but you will lose some jump performance which is what higher AR foils are fun for. Also use backstall loops to kill the power.

Return to “Foil Kites”