Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Flysurfer Soul

For all foil kite riders
Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Soul

Postby Foil » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:14 am

hi slide,
reading your landing line method with interest, thanks
is there any video/pictures of this set up you use?
I do worry sometimes about self landing in windy conditions and maybe this is one answer, but I have never witnessed this landing line method.
It would be great to understand it better

slide
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 75kg,now a bit less
Local Beach: Brancaster Norfolk 46 miles- just need a hard beach
Favorite Beaches: mablephorpe , cleephorpes uk-just need a hard beach
Style: landboarding with a petzl work harness
Gear: old blades and old flysurfer's , ckb/dex carbon landboards, modified airdeck and a home made snow board with barrel wheels ,soul's , spd5's. over 30ish old blades all set up to go ,i like a bit of old skool

Postby slide » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:08 am

its quite simple , in windy conditions you pull more line than you need to just to bring it down and as it starts to come down then let a bit back , and control it as it comes down so as not to hit the beach too hard , and put your landing line on your stake and let the bar go , and the kite should sit downwind , I then put some sand on the trailing edge so it sits nice, make sure you stand behind the stake as sometimes the kite coming down can pull you forward a bit , I have always landed like this , as I need a method I can do on my own

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:37 am

At the risk of stating the obvious presume you realise the landing line is (usually) a strap connecting the 2 steering lines. I found one useful when I had a Soul for solo sessions, they come as standard on Ozone foil bars but not Flysurfer. Once you get used to it you can self land in fairly high winds and use a stake as long as it is secure. Avoid trying to do this from the kite in a high position as it can dive too quickly. I prefer to take it low and then gently bring it down balancing the two back lines. You can of course do this without a landing line as well by just using the back lines which I assume have balls on or something on the Flysurfer bar. I liked being able to use the landing strap and a stake and then I could leave the kite for a few minutes ready to launch again - wouldn’t leave it for too long in high winds though...

slide
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 75kg,now a bit less
Local Beach: Brancaster Norfolk 46 miles- just need a hard beach
Favorite Beaches: mablephorpe , cleephorpes uk-just need a hard beach
Style: landboarding with a petzl work harness
Gear: old blades and old flysurfer's , ckb/dex carbon landboards, modified airdeck and a home made snow board with barrel wheels ,soul's , spd5's. over 30ish old blades all set up to go ,i like a bit of old skool

Postby slide » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:45 am

I just get the kite to zenith, and give a good pull to start the decent, and then let the lines back a bit to slow it down so as to land softly ,

slav made my landing lines up 6mm rope with a loop each end i added 130mm to the bar size , and do a larkshead over the ball stopper ,you will have to take the line off one side to do it on the second ball, and I tried them Thursday for the first time and it worked great for sitting the kite on the beach,on my stake
I've still got to improve my unfolding of the soul as last time the bottom edge kept flapping about and as soon as I was putting sand on the trailing edge it was blowing about and flicking the sand off :D but we got there and pumped up the soul just sat there waiting, I always add some sand to the trailing edge ,unless i'm going straight back up
Last edited by slide on Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:11 pm

slide wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:08 am
its quite simple , in windy conditions you pull more line than you need to just to bring it down and as it starts to come down then let a bit back , and control it as it comes down so as not to hit the beach too hard , and put your landing line on your stake and let the bar go , and the kite should sit downwind , I then put some sand on the trailing edge so it sits nice, make sure you stand behind the stake as sometimes the kite coming down can pull you forward a bit , I have always landed like this , as I need a method I can do on my own
O! :oops:
I thought you had invented something I knew nothing about.
Landing line = brake strap.
yes, I have the brake strap fitted to my Ozone bars , and use it when I need it.
my kites are ozone chronos, and the 15 scares the hell out of me If I need to reverse it down for landing unassisted if the wind has picked up,
all my other chronos below the 15mtr are no problem, a bit of effort needed on the 13mtr but its ok, no drama,
but the 15mtr is a bit of a handful to bring down backwards in stiff winds. :thumb:

blu
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Great Lakes
Favorite Beaches: Cayo Coco
Gear: Flysurfer Lift Sabfoil Gong

Postby blu » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:27 pm

ronstan.jpg
ronstan.jpg (4.65 KiB) Viewed 1509 times
any one replaced pulleys with bigger more solid( Ronstan with bearings) in your Soul kite?
can you share your experience and opinion on those?

xulpix
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Oka, Mont-tremblant, Quebec, Canada
Style: freeride
Gear: Flysurfer Soul 15-10-6m
Moses 101, 790 wing
Brand Affiliation: www.Kitexpress.ca
Has thanked: 0

Postby xulpix » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:32 am

Make sure it’s only for bridle... not for your main pulley...;) or try not to be as heavy as me ;)

Flag53
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Rhosneigr
Favorite Beaches: Rhosneigr

Cayo guiermo
Style: Mixed
Gear: Mixed

Postby Flag53 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:31 pm

Hey xulpix, looks nasty .

Not sure what size you used but the max working load for a 30mm block is only 300kg.

Definitely not enough on your depower rope especially if your doing any jumping!

I did think about them for the bridle though as the standard flysurfer blocks don’t seem to last long , on my second set in a year and no jumping, foil riding only !

blu
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Great Lakes
Favorite Beaches: Cayo Coco
Gear: Flysurfer Lift Sabfoil Gong

Postby blu » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:21 am

blu wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:27 pm
ronstan.jpg

any one replaced pulleys with bigger more solid( Ronstan with bearings) in your Soul kite?
I'm replacing them on the Soul bridle only. I have seen the bridle line brake due to bad pully and kite landed on the tree.
Anybody experienced pully failure on the Soul?

Nem0
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: rectalcity
Favorite Beaches: Hörnum on the island Sylt (West- and Eastcoast)
Gear: 18m Sonic3 + 12m Soul2 + 8m Sonic4 + 133x42 ZERO-G + Spleene CarbonPro Monsterdoor

Postby Nem0 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:50 am

blu wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:21 am
blu wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:27 pm
ronstan.jpg

I'm replacing them on the Soul bridle only. I have seen the bridle line brake due to bad pully and kite landed on the tree.
Anybody experienced pully failure on the Soul?
Not at all!

Return to “Foil Kites”