For all foil kite riders
Schietwedder
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Surendorf, Kiel, Germany
Gear: Diy Gear
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Soul

Postby Schietwedder » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:23 pm

Usually lines especially the coverless on the soul shrink and don't extend. Especially true for lines without constant or high loading like Z.

This effect goes over years or months depending on how often you use it and not after one or two sessions all of the sudden
These users thanked the author Schietwedder for the post:
Peter_Frank (Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:12 am)
Rating: 6.67%

neilhapgood
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Swansea
Gear: twin tip

Postby neilhapgood » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:27 am

Schietwedder wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:42 pm
If your kite steers when fully depowered (c and z disengaged) it will very likely be not a problem on Z. Most likely your steering lines of the bar are out of tune then or something similar on A and B or in the mixer when you compare left to right.

If your kite goes straight depowered but steers unequally when engaging power something on Z will be likely (but also check your steering lines on the bar)

If Z is in tune you should also be able to see when you park your kite above your head and engage power equally to both sides.
On the soul the Z on the outer connection points is at the very trailing edge and engages before the centre normally. Also of course left and right should start to engage equally.
If it's really z like you have measured you can do a knot or two in your z mixer line or the bridle lines out of tune and shorten it that way. You should be aware of reducing the breakload that way by 40 percent easily so doing a knot in a reinforced area like a splice or where they are sewn together.
Z is though very little powered mostly compared to a and B so don't worry too much about knots
When you say 'enagage power equally to both sides' do you mean having it above your head with depower on and then releasing the depower?

Many thanks

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:04 am

Schietwedder wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:23 pm
Usually lines especially the coverless on the soul shrink and don't extend. Especially true for lines without constant or high loading like Z.

This effect goes over years or months depending on how often you use it and not after one or two sessions all of the sudden
Thanks. This was something that I noticed between the start of a session and half way through - although it is one of the first twin tip sessions I have done with this kite so I may not have noticed this in lighter wind (its a second hand kite so new to me only). I initially thought it might have been a tangle so went back in to check.

I ran through the mixer tests as they should eliminate any bar/lines problems. I was surprised to see Z much longer than before - so its possible that I made a mistake somewhere in the setup for the test. I'll need to wait for a dry day to double check.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster

Postby nothing2seehere » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:19 pm

Managed to get another check today at lunch. Looks like my method of staking the lines out whilst I was at the beach wasn't accurate. This time I tied some spare cord through the rings to hold them both square.

Z is in fact short on both bridles on the short mixer by about 1 to 1.5cm (but possibly slightly shorter on the green bridle side). I'm guessing that this should just cause stall and I should be able to trim this out on the bar in the short term. C on the red bridle was too long by a fair amount. When I was on the beach I remember it seemed like it was too short so I adjusted it to make it longer.

In terms of correcting Z, I assume that I could add a short line extension to the yellow line on the Z line before it gets to the bridle, or possibly order another pair of Z yellow lines to replace them?

Edit: I see that I can't just use the B pulley line as although its the same length as the Z line, its a different spec material. :(

Schietwedder
Rare Poster

Postby Schietwedder » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:48 pm

neilhapgood wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:27 am
Schietwedder wrote:
If your kite steers when fully depowered (c and z disengaged) it will very likely be not a problem on Z. Most likely your steering lines of the bar are out of tune then or something similar on A and B or in the mixer when you compare left to right.

If your kite goes straight depowered but steers unequally when engaging power something on Z will be likely (but also check your steering lines on the bar)

If Z is in tune you should also be able to see when you park your kite above your head and engage power equally to both sides.
On the soul the Z on the outer connection points is at the very trailing edge and engages before the centre normally. Also of course left and right should start to engage equally.
If it's really z like you have measured you can do a knot or two in your z mixer line or the bridle lines out of tune and shorten it that way. You should be aware of reducing the breakload that way by 40 percent easily so doing a knot in a reinforced area like a splice or where they are sewn together.
Z is though very little powered mostly compared to a and B so don't worry too much about knots
When you say 'enagage power equally to both sides' do you mean having it above your head with depower on and then releasing the depower?

Many thanks

Depower it as much as you can with trim and release the bar fully so the kite flies above your head (on shore) fully on a A and B lines. If the power lines, mixer and bridles are in tune on all lines that control A and B and are under tension now the kite should stay here a long time without steering input.

(Provided you are in a stable wind condition and it is enough wind that the kite is not in danger of overflying you/frontstalling)

If this is the case you can see now if when you pull the bar in (leave the trim as it is) all the way to your body the Z lines should start to pull at a point if you look closely to the trailing edge at the same time left and right wingtips.
At the soul you will see this really well due to the outer attachment points at 100% chord at the tips forming a nice brake wrinkle.
The kite also now should only develope more power till it backstalls when only pulling the bar in and not steer.
Then also C and Z should be in tune.

That is a quick way without long measuring to make sure you start measuring where a out of trim issue is most likely, then there's good videos of Armin at Ourkitelife and the Flysurfer channels/manuals how to do the mixer and longmixertest right.
Last edited by Schietwedder on Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
nothing2seehere (Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:20 am)

Schietwedder
Rare Poster

Postby Schietwedder » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:04 am

When extending at primary bridle level (closest canopy to the kite) I always have some little connection lines with me from Liros DSL in different lengths.

You can do the same when working at mixer level but with a slightly stronger line like a uncovered dyneema 1.5-3mm, old but good looking flying line or a Liros DSL 2mm-2.5mm.

But on mixer level the Flysurfer mixer should be able to lengthen and shorten B C and Z by moving knots.

Attachments
Screenshot_20201121-000758.png
nothing2seehere (Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:12 pm)

grandeand
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Italy..Calabrone, fiumaretta, lo stagnone
Gear: Principiante

Postby grandeand » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:30 pm

hi guys ... I have a 15 soul with which I am very happy. I have the long mixer test on par and my kite with the bar fully down has very little back stal. however, I do not feel very good in downwind with hydrofoil. the sail has no pull, so I have to get close to the beam to accelerate again. why?

neilhapgood
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Swansea
Gear: twin tip

Postby neilhapgood » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:03 am

Schietwedder wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:48 pm
neilhapgood wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:27 am
Schietwedder wrote:

Many thanks

Depower it as much as you can with trim and release the bar fully so the kite flies above your head (on shore) fully on a A and B lines. If the power lines, mixer and bridles are in tune on all lines that control A and B and are under tension now the kite should stay here a long time without steering input.

(Provided you are in a stable wind condition and it is enough wind that the kite is not in danger of overflying you/frontstalling)

If this is the case you can see now if when you pull the bar in (leave the trim as it is) all the way to your body the Z lines should start to pull at a point if you look closely to the trailing edge at the same time left and right wingtips.
At the soul you will see this really well due to the outer attachment points at 100% chord at the tips forming a nice brake wrinkle.
The kite also now should only develope more power till it backstalls when only pulling the bar in and not steer.
Then also C and Z should be in tune.

That is a quick way without long measuring to make sure you start measuring where a out of trim issue is most likely, then there's good videos of Armin at Ourkitelife and the Flysurfer channels/manuals how to do the mixer and longmixertest right.
thats fantastic, really well explained, many thanks

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster

Postby nothing2seehere » Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:55 pm

Thank you for the help with diagnosing the odd behaviour with my soul. I'm pretty certain it was a poorly set bridle on one side. Also a big thank you to a helpful stranger on Hayling Island beach who also noticed that one of my pulley lines on the B pulley was twisted behind one of the other lines and helped me to sort it out (also imparting a lot of useful knowledge). The previous owner told me that his 'foil kite experienced friend' had been helping him to keep it in tune and I'm wondering if the reason he sold it is related to this problem?

Whether its just getting time on the kite or whether its getting the kite flying correctly but I'm now seeing the performance I was hoping for when I bought it - wind 14-18knots on a 10m and whilst not going particularly big I was getting enough hangtime to practice board offs.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:22 pm

Yep,

My Soul completely derailed after pulled from water, also, was full of water.

Cant be bothered to do more tuning, after number of tries, so will just sell it.

I used to sell the kite with less issues. This were some different times ;)

Return to “Foil Kites”