Favorite Beaches: Durban, SA
Corpus Christi
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Slinghot, Nobile, Zeeko
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Soul

Postby Adventure Logs » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:25 am

nothing2seehere wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:24 am
I had a disappointing session on my Soul 10m with a hydrofoil the other day and I think it was basically just that I was overpowered. The wind picked up from 13 knots when I launched to 18-19 whilst I was out there. Being honest I would also have had a difficult time on my Airush ultra 9m but at the time the slow steering speed and lack of confidence to pull downloops through the gybes was frustrating. I probably would have changed to a twin tip if I'd known the wind would pick up but as it was stronger than the forecast I forgot to pack it in the car.

Being fairly green to foil kites, can anyone suggest techniques for a softer slower downloop into a gybe? I'm running 20m lines. Is that just too much for a foil? Should I be pulling a steering line to try and keep the loop higher in the wind window? Keep the bar pinned at full power to prevent the kite whizzing through and generating to much power?
No need to downloop. I would keep tension on the steering lines to the point of almost backstalling. This way the kite will pivot faster and not lose tension. See if your back lines are 2cm shorter, it's how I prefer my Souls, gives a little backstall ability which is greatly beneficial when you hydrofoil.

Return to “Foil Kites”