Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Soul

Postby Adventure Logs » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:25 am

nothing2seehere wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:24 am
I had a disappointing session on my Soul 10m with a hydrofoil the other day and I think it was basically just that I was overpowered. The wind picked up from 13 knots when I launched to 18-19 whilst I was out there. Being honest I would also have had a difficult time on my Airush ultra 9m but at the time the slow steering speed and lack of confidence to pull downloops through the gybes was frustrating. I probably would have changed to a twin tip if I'd known the wind would pick up but as it was stronger than the forecast I forgot to pack it in the car.

Being fairly green to foil kites, can anyone suggest techniques for a softer slower downloop into a gybe? I'm running 20m lines. Is that just too much for a foil? Should I be pulling a steering line to try and keep the loop higher in the wind window? Keep the bar pinned at full power to prevent the kite whizzing through and generating to much power?
No need to downloop. I would keep tension on the steering lines to the point of almost backstalling. This way the kite will pivot faster and not lose tension. See if your back lines are 2cm shorter, it's how I prefer my Souls, gives a little backstall ability which is greatly beneficial when you hydrofoil.

rnelias
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RJ, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Arubinha, RJ
Cumbuco, CE
Barra da Tijuca, RJ
Praia da Bica, RJ
Style: freeride
Gear: Boxer 9m for foiling
Rebel SLS 8m or Crave HL 9m for boosting on twintip

Postby rnelias » Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:55 pm

Today I was doing a long mixer test ou my Soul 12m when noticed that the A lines are way more stretched and these lines can't be shortened by moving the mixer rings. Any idea on how to fix it or the only way is to replace the whole line section? 🤔

Both sides present the same issue... at first, I've thought it would be possible to make B, C and Z lines longer, however, it will mess with the short mixer adjust :(
Attachments
20210426_124333.jpg
20210426_124351.jpg

lopor
Rare Poster
Gear: Catalyst 2014 9m, Soul 15 & 10

Postby lopor » Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:09 pm

I might be wrong, but according to a trimming video I saw on YouTube Our Kite Life channel, starring Aarmin Harrich, you should take A and Z lines first and move to the left/right until the knots are equal. However I do not know whether you should practice this rule even when the difference is so big...
These users thanked the author lopor for the post:
rnelias (Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:18 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

rnelias
Very Frequent Poster
Cumbuco, CE
Barra da Tijuca, RJ
Praia da Bica, RJ

Postby rnelias » Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:18 pm

lopor wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:09 pm
I might be wrong, but according to a trimming video I saw on YouTube Our Kite Life channel, starring Aarmin Harrich, you should take A and Z lines first and move to the left/right until the knots are equal. However I do not know whether you should practice this rule even when the difference is so big...
yep, I've watched the same video at least 3 times and tried to make them equal but after rotating to left and right nothing helped :(

In fact, this video had left me with a doubt: should we hold both lines (front+back) *together* or a little bit separated? Because there are other videos from Flysurfer that they hold the lines separately and it would surely interfere in how these lines align with each other.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:38 am

rnelias wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:18 pm
lopor wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:09 pm
yep, I've watched the same video at least 3 times and tried to make them equal but after rotating to left and right nothing helped :(

In fact, this video had left me with a doubt: should we hold both lines (front+back) *together* or a little bit separated? Because there are other videos from Flysurfer that they hold the lines separately and it would surely interfere in how these lines align with each other.
You need to have the front/back lines separated where the lines connect to them (at the metal rings end) to do the mixer test (15-20 cm should be enough). This video shows it better:

Don't mess around with screwdrivers though - most good screwdrivers are too thick to go through the metal rings. Get some tent pegs if you have them as they are the perfect size.
These users thanked the author nothing2seehere for the post:
rnelias (Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:25 pm)

rnelias
Very Frequent Poster
Cumbuco, CE
Barra da Tijuca, RJ
Praia da Bica, RJ

Postby rnelias » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:28 pm

nothing2seehere wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:38 am

You need to have the front/back lines separated where the lines connect to them (at the metal rings end) to do the mixer test (15-20 cm should be enough). This video shows it better:

Don't mess around with screwdrivers though - most good screwdrivers are too thick to go through the metal rings. Get some tent pegs if you have them as they are the perfect size.
That makes a lot of sense but is not well explained in the manual... you can only achieve an alignment between "A" and "Z" lines if both ends are separeted. If they're hold together, they'll turn around the same pivotal point and will not align. Moreover, the two ends do not work together when attached to the bar lines.

I'll make a new try. Thanks! :D

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:38 pm

No problems. I've been there and made the same mistake. I think I needed to adjust the mixer 3 times the first time I tried because each time I tested it, I got a different result.

The other thing to check is the length of the yellow lines from one side to the other. Its a basic symmetry test but I'm told that this line stretches more/first before the other bridle lines. If they are different then the kite won't fly right. I don't know how much difference is acceptable though. I'd probably replace if it was more than a cm or two.
These users thanked the author nothing2seehere for the post:
rnelias (Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:01 pm)

Soleas
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Style: BIG AIR
Gear: Epic Screamer, Flysurfer Soul
Brand Affiliation: Epickites Cyprus Rep/Rider, Kiteflex team rider

Postby Soleas » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:36 am

The A and Z are usually not the same length. Especially after flying the kite for some time. Instead of a screwdriver i just secure a single rope somewhere and i make 1 knot on it. I attatch both A and Z on the knot and then pull them straight and measure the lenth difference. Lets say A is 2 cm longer. I then make a second knot on the rope 2 cm longer from the first knot and attach the Z. So know we have the A and Z equal. Now I can adjust the B and C from the mixer equal to A and Z. When this is done then I adjust my bar lines and i shorten or lengthen backlines accordingly. In this case 2 cm long to match the 2cm longer front line ( A ).
These users thanked the author Soleas for the post:
rnelias (Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:00 pm)

seppalord
Medium Poster
Gear: FS

Postby seppalord » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:04 am

Does the long mixer test also work when I let the bar attached and fix the bar so that it can't move and make then the test shown in the video ?

Soleas
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Style: BIG AIR
Gear: Epic Screamer, Flysurfer Soul
Brand Affiliation: Epickites Cyprus Rep/Rider, Kiteflex team rider

Postby Soleas » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:39 pm

Seppalord, it would be a little more complicated leaving the bar attached. Just get a leaderline or a long pigtail or any rope will do and secure it anywhere where you can pull on it with at least 5-10kg of strength. As i said before make a knot on it somwhere in the middle so you can have some line left for one more knot later on. Attach both A and Z on that one knot in the middle of the line you used. ( line can be not longer than 20-30cm) . Pull both A and Z and measure their difference. Lets say A is 2 cm longer than Z. Go back to the leader line you used for anchor and make a second knot 2 cm away from the first ( towards the kite ). Then attach your Z on the second knot you just made towards the kite. Now check A and Z again. They must be equal. Now you can adjust B and C from the mixer. Bring them equal to A and Z. Now the kite is trimmed. All is left now is to trim your bar. Just add a 2 cm pigtail on your back lines. Or on the kite's back lines if you use your bar with another kite and you dont want to mess it up.
This method is very simple trust me. I measure and trim my kite every 6 months and always flys perfect. And all it takes is 10min.
These users thanked the author Soleas for the post:
seppalord (Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:02 pm)

Return to “Foil Kites”