Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Flysurfer Soul

For all foil kite riders
omg
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Flysurfer Soul

Postby omg » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:43 am

well there you said pretty much; to put it simply Pulse 2 is very thick kite and the new ones, Souls etc. are not (among other things) due to increased performance, hence the new ones can go quite far in to the wind window which becomes problematic in very gusty winds ie. kite shooting to the edge of the wind window and if there's a lull immediately after, all kinds of things can happen.
May I ask what's your focus of riding if the winds are bouncing upndown so much as you described? You cannot jump confidently in those winds as within the gust you can go really high and if the lull comes you could fall really hard on ice/snow??? So if the backnforth riding is what you are after, why did you choose the Soul in the first place?

Kristan
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plescheevo lake
Favorite Beaches: Mejvodnoye, Crimea
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kites: Eleveight XS 14m, Paraavis Smile 3 15m. Boards: Flysurfer Radical 6 144x46, Flysurfer Flydoor4 170x50
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Kristan » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:18 pm

omg wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:43 am
well there you said pretty much; to put it simply Pulse 2 is very thick kite and the new ones, Souls etc. are not (among other things) due to increased performance, hence the new ones can go quite far in to the wind window which becomes problematic in very gusty winds ie. kite shooting to the edge of the wind window and if there's a lull immediately after, all kinds of things can happen.
May I ask what's your focus of riding if the winds are bouncing upndown so much as you described? You cannot jump confidently in those winds as within the gust you can go really high and if the lull comes you could fall really hard on ice/snow??? So if the backnforth riding is what you are after, why did you choose the Soul in the first place?
We do not always have such harsh conditions. The average wind around here is around 12 knots, which is perfect for 12m Soul and actually not that gusty. I mean Soul is still misbehaving even in such smoother conditions. But as soon as wind picks up to 14 knots and higher, there stuff goes bonkers. But such winds are rather rare here. So I still had a couple of pleasant sessions with smooth jumps and stuff. But yeah, only a couple out of six.

Besides, my goal was not only to use it on the snow, we have a nice shallow lake with smooth winds, also I'm going for the sea vacations during the summer. I don't know if the kite would still misbehave in such conditions, but I'm a bit scared going to the water with it. I don't want to drag it out filled with water, sand and algae because of another collapse and bowties.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:38 pm

Kristan wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:18 pm

I mean Soul is still misbehaving even in such smoother conditions.
If that's the case then there's something wrong physically with the kite or my man, you just don't have the skills and you need to work on it. I'm not sure why you would expect to be able to take a foil kite out in such extreme conditions when you have no real foil kite skills. Foil kites are different, some people pick them up quick, some do not.

But if the kite is acting as poorly as you describe even in smoother conditions, there's something wrong with your kite.

Over 50 pages to this thread and you've been the only one to report such behavior.

Kristan
Frequent Poster
Gear: Kites: Eleveight XS 14m, Paraavis Smile 3 15m. Boards: Flysurfer Radical 6 144x46, Flysurfer Flydoor4 170x50

Postby Kristan » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:02 pm

Adventure Logs wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:38 pm
Over 50 pages to this thread and you've been the only one to report such behavior.
That's probably because people have tongues up in their asses, or do not wish to talk about this kite on this forum, or don't even know about this forum and particular thread. Because as soon as I have started to describe the problems of this kite, some other kiters have emerged and confirmed that they had similar issues. I don't know why they remained silent. Scared to speak bad of the kite because of the constant praise? Also I've been discussing about this kite on our local forum and it appears I'm not the only one with such issues either.

I don't know what kind of "skill" do you mean. When I put the kite to the edge of the wind window and pull the bar, I expect the kite to get powered up, go back into the wind window and sit there, or at least backstall, not frontstall! Or am I supposed to constantly wave it up and down? What if I can't for a moment? Expect another collapse? I did not sign up for that.

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:09 pm

Did you get it off the back of a lorry from a guy who 'geef you good price.....'?

If not then send it back to Flysurfer! Your description of its' behaviour is completely abnormal, especially if it's also at low winds.

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:19 pm

I think this horse is dead. Can we please leave it alone. If some wants to comment on the Soul, unrelated to one individual’s experience, please start a new topic. Thanks so much.

Kristan
Frequent Poster

Postby Kristan » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:29 pm

andylc wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:09 pm
Did you get it off the back of a lorry from a guy who 'geef you good price.....'?

If not then send it back to Flysurfer!
Sort of. As I've mentioned before, we do not have direct dealer of Flysurfer. Only reseller of Estonian dealer.

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:07 pm

What use is a dead horse except to flog?

kiter4fun123
Medium Poster
Style: TT and hydrofoil in light wind
Gear: flysurfer, naish, nobile
Has thanked: 0

Postby kiter4fun123 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:25 pm

Kristan wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:18 pm
omg wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:43 am
We do not always have such harsh conditions. The average wind around here is around 12 knots, which is perfect for 12m Soul and actually not that gusty. I mean Soul is still misbehaving even in such smoother conditions. But as soon as wind picks up to 14 knots and higher, there stuff goes bonkers. But such winds are rather rare here. So I still had a couple of pleasant sessions with smooth jumps and stuff. But yeah, only a couple out of six.

Besides, my goal was not only to use it on the snow, we have a nice shallow lake with smooth winds, also I'm going for the sea vacations during the summer. I don't know if the kite would still misbehave in such conditions, but I'm a bit scared going to the water with it. I don't want to drag it out filled with water, sand and algae because of another collapse and bowties.
I think something is wrong with your kite. Had mine some weeks ago and this is how it behaves in a crappy snow spot. (base wind 4-6ms gusts 8-10ms)
Usually, I take the snowmobile higher up in the mountain where the wind is cleaner but had to go back to work that day (why is it always sunny and windy on the last free day ? :roll: )

Anyway as you can see the kite behaves absolutely normally. You might send your kite to flysurfer so they can check it out. Or do post a video of the behavior here (I think people can tell you directly if something is wrong with it)
Production errors can happen and I guess kites are not immune.

[youtube][/youtube]

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:29 pm

Kristan wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:02 pm
Adventure Logs wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:38 pm
That's probably because people have tongues up in their asses, or do not wish to talk about this kite on this forum, or don't even know about this forum and particular thread. Because as soon as I have started to describe the problems of this kite, some other kiters have emerged and confirmed that they had similar issues. I don't know why they remained silent. Scared to speak bad of the kite because of the constant praise? Also I've been discussing about this kite on our local forum and it appears I'm not the only one with such issues either.

I don't know what kind of "skill" do you mean. When I put the kite to the edge of the wind window and pull the bar, I expect the kite to get powered up, go back into the wind window and sit there, or at least backstall, not frontstall! Or am I supposed to constantly wave it up and down? What if I can't for a moment? Expect another collapse? I did not sign up for that.
bad image. I just came back from a trip with 8, 10, 12 and 15. Flew them all across 14 sessions, almost 1k km traveled and had nothing but beautiful perfect behavior.

If you can't send it to head office, I am happy to receive it here in Canada and test it etc. if that would help.

Return to “Foil Kites”