Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Flysurfer Soul

For all foil kite riders
nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Soul

Postby nothing2seehere » Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:18 pm

SolarSet wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:21 pm
Hey I'm looking for some advice on getting my next foiling kite. Currently I have XR6 8/11m which kinda sucks for foiling and Soul 15m which is way better.
Could someone put bullet points for pro/cons of getting Souls vs Airush Ultra or single strut Contra? I'm considering Soul 9 or 10m to be added or Airush ultra in size 9m?
Currently I have Zeeko Blaster which is 750cm^2 front wing and I'm starting to learn gybes, next year probably would go with Onda
I'm familiar with flying close cell kite mainly on TT and I ridden it only 5 times on foil but I understand its headaches, never ridden single or strutless kite,
I was keen on Soul but on my home spot most people ride Onda or other foils with DT Evo/Neo and it makes me think if everyone else rides LEI hydrofoiling instead of closecell foil kite maybe it's not worth the hassle to get Soul in smaller size?
Soul has much better low end and more power. Upwind angles are crazy better. Downwind drift is better. Quicker setup and easier self launch in light winds.

One strut LEIs are more nimble and don't generate as much lift. This feels easier as a learner sometimes as the wind picks up. Relaunch is familiar in technique but low end of relaunch is worse and point of no return probably happens quicker too(if it rolls trailing edge down then its time to start swimming). Pack and swim in is simpler though.

I can't decide which I like better. I have both and see the benefits of each. I think a single strut LEI is easier to fly and the power delivery can be a little easier when learning new skills - but this might be also the result of flying the LEI at the low end vs the Soul in the middle of the power band. If you go with the Airush ultra you should invest in line extensions. I run 28m for my Ultra 9m and that gets a comfortable low end of 10 knots.

From my point of view if you like speed and boosting big then the Soul will be for you. If a surf style and lots of quick manoeuvres are your end goal (based on the Onda) then a one strut LEI will make things easier to learn
These users thanked the author nothing2seehere for the post:
SolarSet (Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:11 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

SolarSet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Hel Peninsula
Gear: This & that

Postby SolarSet » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:24 pm

nothing2seehere wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:18 pm
From my point of view if you like speed and boosting big then the Soul will be for you. If a surf style and lots of quick manoeuvres are your end goal (based on the Onda) then a one strut LEI will make things easier to learn
Thanks guys for these bullet points, I’m not changing Zeeko Blaster to anything better this year as I’m still learning and too often hitting sand with HF it’s would stress me too much to have something more expensive than Zeeko Blaster and have it damaged. This foil seems very small for my 92kg but even thought I’m generally slow learner I’m in 6th session and can ride 90cm must without touching water or breaching it with HF which means that this HF is really user friendly it’s most common foil for beginners to learn on my spot.

Soul seems like easy choice because I’m very familiar with Soul 15m but it sounds like main benefit will be for going fast and jumping where I think that I would enjoy most easy surfy riding on HF around 1250cm2.

If I go with single strut Ultra with current kite setup should I go for 9 or 10m? Same for Soul which size would be more versatile?

It would be great to check both but it’s not easy and to make my mind I would need to learn HF better

rnelias
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RJ, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Arubinha, RJ
Cumbuco, CE
Barra da Tijuca, RJ
Praia da Bica, RJ
Style: freeride
Gear: Boxer 9m for foiling
Rebel SLS 8m or Crave HL 9m for boosting on twintip

Postby rnelias » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:02 pm

does anyone already used the line plan, provided at FS's site, to check bridle line sections?

My Soul 15m was flying a little bit odd and today I decided to take a look in some parts of the bridle I was suspecting (the trailing edge). Just after the first measurements I thought weird that the values were completely wrong by a large margin. Checked the on the other side and the sections were with very close lenghts, thus, I've assumed I was not reading the line plans correctly and double checked the diagram and the table. Here is an example:

measured / line plan

br10: 545 / 681 (-20%)
br9: 500 / 527 (-5%)
br8: 645 / 666 (-3%)

br1: 770 / 807 (-4.5%)
br2: 420 / 449 (-6.45%)
br3: 920 / 959 (-4%)
br4: 685 / 722 (-5.12%)

the br8 to br10 relationship is weird. According to the line plan, the br10 line should be the longest on this set and, on my measurements, it's the opposite. Thus, I've started to guess that FS made some changes on the bridle and returned to the website. On my line plan, it's marked 09-2019, however, there was a line plan published on Jul 20, 2018 that the file is not available anymore.
line-plan-soul15.JPG
line-plan-soul15.JPG (34.03 KiB) Viewed 652 times

rnelias
Very Frequent Poster
Cumbuco, CE
Barra da Tijuca, RJ
Praia da Bica, RJ

Postby rnelias » Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:09 pm

rnelias wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:02 pm
does anyone already used the line plan, provided at FS's site, to check bridle line sections?

My Soul 15m was flying a little bit odd and today I decided to take a look in some parts of the bridle I was suspecting (the trailing edge). Just after the first measurements I thought weird that the values were completely wrong by a large margin. Checked the on the other side and the sections were with very close lenghts, thus, I've assumed I was not reading the line plans correctly and double checked the diagram and the table. Here is an example:

measured / line plan

br10: 545 / 681 (-20%)
br9: 500 / 527 (-5%)
br8: 645 / 666 (-3%)

br1: 770 / 807 (-4.5%)
br2: 420 / 449 (-6.45%)
br3: 920 / 959 (-4%)
br4: 685 / 722 (-5.12%)

the br8 to br10 relationship is weird. According to the line plan, the br10 line should be the longest on this set and, on my measurements, it's the opposite. Thus, I've started to guess that FS made some changes on the bridle and returned to the website. On my line plan, it's marked 09-2019, however, there was a line plan published on Jul 20, 2018 that the file is not available anymore.

line-plan-soul15.JPG
I've just found the previous version https://flysurfer.com/files/dlm_uploads ... neplan.pdf

Ice101
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Free ride want to branch into strapless riding and more freestyle

Postby Ice101 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:11 am

Was it much difference on the old line plan?

rnelias
Very Frequent Poster
Cumbuco, CE
Barra da Tijuca, RJ
Praia da Bica, RJ

Postby rnelias » Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:21 am

Ice101 wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:11 am
Was it much difference on the old line plan?
Nope. Values are the same. They just changed some labels, however, there's a difference in the br10 that I'm assuming is a typo

SOUL 15 QM

JUL-2018: br10 = 581
SEP-2019: br10 = 681

from what I have already measured, 5% of line shrinkage is within the expected range (but not 20% for sure :D)

rnelias
Very Frequent Poster
Cumbuco, CE
Barra da Tijuca, RJ
Praia da Bica, RJ

Postby rnelias » Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:24 am

it's interesting that the trailing edge lines have shrinked more than the leading edge ones. I guess that these lines have more contact with dirty as we usually hold the trailing edge with sand to help while launching...

rnelias
Very Frequent Poster
Cumbuco, CE
Barra da Tijuca, RJ
Praia da Bica, RJ

Postby rnelias » Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:36 am

SolarSet wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:21 pm
Hey I'm looking for some advice on getting my next foiling kite. Currently I have XR6 8/11m which kinda sucks for foiling and Soul 15m which is way better.
Could someone put bullet points for pro/cons of getting Souls vs Airush Ultra or single strut Contra? I'm considering Soul 9 or 10m to be added or Airush ultra in size 9m?
Currently I have Zeeko Blaster which is 750cm^2 front wing and I'm starting to learn gybes, next year probably would go with Onda
I'm familiar with flying close cell kite mainly on TT and I ridden it only 5 times on foil but I understand its headaches, never ridden single or strutless kite,
I was keen on Soul but on my home spot most people ride Onda or other foils with DT Evo/Neo and it makes me think if everyone else rides LEI hydrofoiling instead of closecell foil kite maybe it's not worth the hassle to get Soul in smaller size?
Interesting question... here I have Soul 12m and 15m besides an Alpha v1 8m and some cheap mast and wings too (1250 and 1000cm^2) to combine. Now I've been using the 1000cm^2 more often. I'm 72kg and most of the times (95%) I'm using the Alpha and like it a lot. Most of the points were already raised in previous posts. In my case, as I've been training gybes, I think it's much easier with the Alpha. The kite never fall from the sky. It weights just 2kg, less than the Soul 12m (the area is smaller, of course) and it flies deeper in the wind window. It's way faster and super easy to relaunch in any condition. I'd say that I'm more confortable to learn hydrofoil with a LEI kite instead of a foil as I just have to worry about the board. I'm keeping my Soul 12m in the hope that it'll help me in the future while learning foot switches and tacks. Let's see...
These users thanked the author rnelias for the post:
SolarSet (Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:38 am)

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:36 am

SolarSet wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:24 pm
for my 92kg
If I go with single strut Ultra with current kite setup should I go for 9 or 10m? Same for Soul which size would be more versatile?
For your weight I'd suggest the 10m single strut kite if that's the way you want to go. The 10m would give you a little more pull to help get you up to speed to start foiling. You can get away with the 9m with a bigger wing but you'll get more time on the water with the 10m

However, you might find some benefit in looking at an 8m soul instead of the 10m? It probably has the equivalent power of a 10m or 11m single strut LEI. If you look at the flysurfer soul, it recommends sizes 8/12/18 for your weight anyway. The 8m would be more playful than the 10m too - a lot closer to an LEI in speed and reactivity. Just a thought?
These users thanked the author nothing2seehere for the post:
SolarSet (Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:09 am)

SolarSet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Hel Peninsula
Gear: This & that

Postby SolarSet » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:17 am

Im going to get Onda which is 1250cm, would 9m Ultra not being enough? According to previous posts I could retire soul 15m if I have Onda and Ultra 9/10m?
I do like Soul and on some occasions I could go traveling with two Souls instead of taking any LEI but hassle to self land it especially that when foiling there isn’t many people on beach. Looping Soul 15m terrifies me when doing it on XR is easy peasy

The bottom line is with surf wing like Onda it makes more sense to have lightweight LEI instead of foil kite as benefits of first out outweighs advantages of foil kite

Return to “Foil Kites”