SolarSet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Hel Peninsula
Gear: This & that
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Soul

Postby SolarSet » Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:49 am

Brilliant thanks all for feedback, I have also a good deal for DT and my friends recommends me Evo 9m SLS or no-SLS, is there much I'm going to lose vs single strut on W633? I see very often on my spot people on W633 and Evo 8m.
I consider selling XR and moving to set of Evo's for foil & TT riding. Would probably go for 9 & 12m as my 8m doesn't get too often used for TT.

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990

Postby JakeFarley » Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:25 am

Just a comment about checking your flag-out line (FLS) from where it runs through the bar to where it connects to the front line. I bought my Soul 12m used and never thought to check it until I replaced the depower line. It was twisted at least once around the depower line and 3 times around the front line. Don't know if it would have flagged out OK but I ran all the lines out and made sure there were no twists/wraps around anything so it could flag out smoothly. Gonna check my Speed 5 bar before next session, but I think it should be good as I purchased it new (but you never know).

haiku
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Latina beach Italy and...Naish beach Maui
Favorite Beaches: Latina, Porto Pollo - Italy , Kitebeach. Kihei - Maui
Style: old and new school
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic FR, Speed, Boost, Cronix, Naish Pivot, Flysurfer Radical 5, Door 5, Kazuma custom wave boards

Postby haiku » Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:23 pm

Hi. I share my experience with the Flysurfer Soul V1 8m. I really love this size for freeride kite foiling, the wind range is amazing, the power is smooth and costant and the stability is simply impressive. I'm looking forward to trying the new version. Here's a short video of two sessions that shows how It performs.

Cheers
Carlo

JSom
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 185
Local Beach: Springfield
Gear: Looking for new equipment
Been thanked: 0

Postby JSom » Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:12 pm

Amazing experience! You had a great time filming this video. I envy you a little, because the ocean is far enough from me.

slide
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 75kg,now a bit less
Local Beach: Brancaster Norfolk 46 miles- just need a hard beach
Favorite Beaches: mablephorpe , cleephorpes uk-just need a hard beach
Style: landboarding with a petzl work harness
Gear: old blades and old flysurfer's , ckb/dex carbon landboards, modified airdeck and a home made snow board with barrel wheels ,soul's , spd5's. over 30ish old blades all set up to go ,i like a bit of old skool

Postby slide » Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:41 pm

my soul 8 and 12 were slightly overflying, recently, -any sugestions or advice plz

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Private Kite & Wing Beach d'Epine
Style: Freeride
Gear: *

Postby Janus » Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:14 pm

slide wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:41 pm
my soul 8 and 12 were slightly overflying, recently, -any sugestions or advice plz
At full power setup?
Wind conditions?
Mixer test?
How is the overall performance?
Good? Then I suggest shortening the back lines 5-10 cm (under the floaters) so you can backstall the kite a bit when needed. Easily compensated with the strap when it’s too much. You probably hardly use the strap anyway..

jbrodin
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 77 kg
Local Beach: Around Oslo, Norway
Gear: Machine, Chrono, Peak
TT and RL-boards orca foil set-up

Postby jbrodin » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:52 am

Question: The long mixertest completely screwed up my Soul, I got the advise to try to shorten the b-row adjuster by a couple of cms, which actually did the fix. On occasion I still have issues with the tips folding in, I am considering just further shortening the B-row until it is good. What if I go to far, what would be the typical consequence of the B-row being too short?

Schietwedder
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Surendorf, Kiel, Germany
Gear: Diy Gear

Postby Schietwedder » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:14 am

Kite Backstalls faster if B is shorter, has more power but overflies more easily of B is longer.

Technical Background: You change the camber of the profile.
More camber-> more lift, flies further to the edge of ww especially when stationary not riding. Less stability as more camber reduces pitching moment stability as well (frontstall)
Less camber-opposite less lift but also earlier stall angle and more stability
These users thanked the author Schietwedder for the post:
jbrodin (Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:55 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:40 am

jbrodin wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:52 am
Question: The long mixertest completely screwed up my Soul, I got the advise to try to shorten the b-row adjuster by a couple of cms, which actually did the fix. On occasion I still have issues with the tips folding in, I am considering just further shortening the B-row until it is good. What if I go to far, what would be the typical consequence of the B-row being too short?
When you did your mixer test did you use a single stake point or two at the pigtail end (metal rings)? I got weird results at first doing the mixer test when I tried to use a single point. Each time I did it it would be out by a different amount.

jbrodin
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 77 kg
Local Beach: Around Oslo, Norway
Gear: Machine, Chrono, Peak
TT and RL-boards orca foil set-up

Postby jbrodin » Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:47 pm

nothing2seehere wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:40 am
jbrodin wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:52 am
When you did your mixer test did you use a single stake point or two at the pigtail end (metal rings)? I got weird results at first doing the mixer test when I tried to use a single point. Each time I did it it would be out by a different amount.
I do the mixer test by fixing the front and back lines together at one point, closer to the bar than the metal rings, but I adjust the back lines so that the A and Z knots on the kite by the markings on the bridals are equally far from the fixed point. As I understand the long mixer test now it is all about making the B and C knots on the bridle align with the A and Z knots. The first time I did this I made the B and C lines about 3-4 cm longer each, which completely ruined the kite, even though it was supposedly fixed as per the long mixertest. Upon advice I gradually made the B row shorter again, until it was better. But, as I started out saying - it is not perfect, and it would be nice tho have method that goes beyond the mixertest.

Return to “Foil Kites”